Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    @Sloaner - ...Oh token male English student. x3

ReputationRep:
    I love getting wrecked; not a fan of the mornings after, mind; but getting slowly bladdered with a good bunch of pals is bloody awesome. Saying that, I also have a life beyond alcohol!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of a non-drinker. I don't really go out at home, since it's a bit inconvenient/expensive to get back, and I'm constantly working so I can't be hungover, even at the weekends.
    I'm hoping that I'll meet people like me at York, who like going out with friends, but who aren't fussed about drinking (and look, here some of you are!).

ReputationRep:
    *waves at Bubbles* True, true. Already on the scout for like-minded souls. cx

ReputationRep:
    I drink ocassionally, but I hate clubbing and 'nightlife' passionately. I think whatever your interests, and however you like to spend your free time, there'll be someone else who shares your passions. To be honest, I'm not too worried about it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSomething)
    I drink ocassionally, but I hate clubbing and 'nightlife' passionately. I think whatever your interests, and however you like to spend your free time, there'll be someone else who shares your passions. To be honest, I'm not too worried about it all.
    Yeah, 'clubbing' is ********, dancing like a **** to a no-name DJ; it's pointless and boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SquizzBett)
    Yeah, 'clubbing' is ********, dancing like a **** to a no-name DJ; it's pointless and boring.
    I just don't see the point of paying around £7 to entera room that smells of sweat and vomit, to listen to music I wouldn't listen to if I had a choice, to then go on and pay for drinks which are around 300% of the price they'd cost at a supermarket. I always end up getting leered at by pikey kids who are either high on drugs, or too young to be there in the first place. Seriously - why is it socially acceptable to feel a stranger up in a club, but if it was done anywhere else they'd get arrested?

Urgh - I just find it all really unpleasant. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against going out in the evenings - i'd just much rather go to a pub or a party.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't see the point of paying around £7 to entera room that smells of sweat and vomit, to listen to music I wouldn't listen to if I had a choice, to then go on and pay for drinks which are around 300% of the price they'd cost at a supermarket. I always end up getting leered at by pikey kids who are either high on drugs, or too young to be there in the first place. Seriously - why is it socially acceptable to feel a stranger up in a club, but if it was done anywhere else they'd get arrested?

Urgh - I just find it all really unpleasant. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against going out in the evenings - i'd just much rather go to a pub or a party.
    Or just generally sit around with a few people and get pissed at home XD I do go on nights out, but only on a special occasion like a birthday, it makes it much more fun that way. Or I'll go to a nightclub if there's a DJ I'd REALLY like to see. Ah well. This thread probably sounds like we're a set of right moody *******s.

ReputationRep:
    Or just generally sit around with a few people and get pissed at home XD I do go on nights out, but only on a special occasion like a birthday, it makes it much more fun that way. Or I'll go to a nightclub if there's a DJ I'd REALLY like to see. Ah well. This thread probably sounds like we're a set of right moody *******s.
    Haha. I am a moody ***** to be fair =]] I'm sat in my office writing emails to angry farmers. How else could I feel right now? haha

ReputationRep:
    Haha. I am a moody ***** to be fair =]] I'm sat in my office writing emails to angry farmers. How else could I feel right now? haha
    I wish I were writing letters to angry farmers, that's so cool :P I'm sat in the office sorting through around 20,000 entries on Excel... Oh god. It seems we both have justification for moodiness

ReputationRep:
    I wish I were writing letters to angry farmers, that's so cool :P I'm sat in the office sorting through around 20,000 entries on Excel... Oh god. It seems we both have justification for moodiness
    Sounds joyous. What do you do?

Actually... PM me... I know TSR mods have a reputation for mistaking friendly chat as trolling and thread-hijacking.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing which sucks about clubbing is the music - I hate rap and dance or 'clubland' music; If I found a club which played proper pop, rock and party music I'd be over the moon. I think the club chain 'Flares' is really awesome - plays great music which everyone loves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    The only thing which sucks about clubbing is the music - I hate rap and dance or 'clubland' music; If I found a club which played proper pop, rock and party music I'd be over the moon. I think the club chain 'Flares' is really awesome - plays great music which everyone loves.
    Woah, where do you live, a village? Where you go out clubbing, there isn't a rock night club?

ReputationRep:
    During my freshers week (2006) there were specifically organised non-alcoholic events etc (one that stood out to me, purely because of the name, was the 'grub crawl' - like a pub crawl but with food). Just be aware that they are organised by the Christian union mainly though.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the CU, in fact lots of my friends attend and think it is wonderful (and they are great too, so that's the kind of person you find there ) but it's something I'd say be aware of if you have issues with religion at all.

Also, a few places do 'virgin' cocktails, I think The Living Room does them.

Socials from clubs and societies too will not always be alcohol based; the fencing club that I was involved with had a variety of socials including meals and games nights, so you don't need to feel left out of that sort of thing either.

ReputationRep:
    Woah, where do you live, a village? Where you go out clubbing, there isn't a rock night club?
    Hit the nail on the head. I live in rural North Wales...not a great selection of clubs here .

ReputationRep:
    York is one of the worst offenders for horrifyingly stereotypical lads night out scenario's. Usually beginning at the top of mickelgate, culminating in a fight inside/outside subways next to the gallery and ending in the back of a police van.

Best to avoid that part of town.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    Hit the nail on the head. I live in rural North Wales...not a great selection of clubs here .
    Haha, I wasn't actually expecting you to live in a village. I have a friend who was brought up in rural North Wales until she went to uni and big cities blew her mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooljack)
    York is one of the worst offenders for horrifyingly stereotypical lads night out scenario's. Usually beginning at the top of mickelgate, culminating in a fight inside/outside subways next to the gallery and ending in the back of a police van.

Au contraire. If you're out on a student night out, a lot of the good student bars are on Mickelgate.

Cooljack's a local. The advice to be taken away from there is basically: "Don't do town on a weekend". York's a big stag do/hen night destination to. Student nights are a lot better than the weekend.

Of course if you don't like drinking or clubbing at all, you're probably going to hate it all :P But there are plenty of lovely restaurants and a good cinema in the city centre, although you might be avoiding (harmless!) drunken rabble at night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooljack)

so true, have seen that scenario so many times...better avoid going out on non-student nights ( especially weekend ) cause locals can be sometimes very unpleasant to our kind

weekend in town is quite expensive anyways, Gallery on Sunday is like 6 or 7 pounds entry and usually no drink deals

ReputationRep:
    well not so much locals, weekends are ok generally. Race days on the other hand, town just fills with idiots. York seems to gravitate morons from Middlesbrough, Leeds, Hull and Doncaster on race days.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.