Turn on thread page Beta

how do i become equal in perception with others? watch

ReputationRep:
    Put yourself out there, be confident, be loud(er), chances are you're being shafted because you just sit at the back and expect people to pay attention to you

(Original post by fallen angel9)
    Doesn't sound too bad.
    what do you mean? it means i'm mentally retarded.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people 'know' those type of things but they don't apply them and don't fully understand them because they havn't had the relevant life experience.
    I know people who recently have similar awakenings and suddenly understand so-called 'well-known sayings'. It's completely normal at this stage in life I would say...

Seriously don't worry about it

(Original post by GdotL)
    Lots of people 'know' those type of things but they don't apply them and don't fully understand them because they havn't had the relevant life experience.
    I know people who recently have similar awakenings and suddenly understand so-called 'well-known sayings'. It's completely normal at this stage in life I would say...

Seriously don't worry about it
    why shouldn't i worry?

it means i'm mentally retarded since i don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    why shouldn't i worry?

it means i'm mentally retarded since i don't know.
    No it doesn't. 19 is a perfectly reasonable age at which to understand these life lessons. Most of your friends won't REALLY know, they just think they do.

But the fact you insist you're mentally retarded probably means that you are.

(Original post by Kinsula)
    Put yourself out there, be confident, be loud(er), chances are you're being shafted because you just sit at the back and expect people to pay attention to you
    ok, so in other words, i should conform to somebody's shallow and inaccurate view of human beings? gotcha. :yes:

(Original post by GdotL)
    No it doesn't. 19 is a perfectly reasonable age at which to understand these life lessons. Most of your friends won't REALLY know, they just think they do.

But the fact you insist you're mentally retarded probably means that you are.
    i know i am mentally retarded. who can say i not?

ReputationRep:
    why is it I am 19, and my perception is not the same level as other 19 year olds? :confused:

am i mentally retarded? :yes:
    Because you're probably mildly autistic. (NB for anyone who wants to slap me for being harsh - this isn't his first thread, and I work with autistic kids...) It's not mentally retarded, but it isn't neurotypical either. Provided that you're not mentally retarded, as you so PC-ly put it, then it's a case of learning things. Autistic kids (like me :p:) don't automatically pick up on social cues. So sometimes obvious things don't seem obvious to us. But that doesn't mean we're not capable of learning them, it just means that we actually have to do that actively rather than absorbing it by osmosis while we're growing up.

Whatever is up with you I think the key thing is to grow a pair and start doing something about it. Does it matter if you're mentally disadvantaged? Not really. It's not going to make it better. There aren't that many neurological diseases that make people behave how you've described that can really be 'treated'. So you're gonna have to live with it whether it's all in your head or an actual condition. So start developing coping strategies instead of sitting around whining.

ReputationRep:
    i know i am mentally retarded. who can say i not?
    Dude please go and see a psychiatrist...your perseverance with this fact really reminds me of a couple of people i've come across...and they are actually mentally ill

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean? it means i'm mentally retarded.
    No, it doesn't. Why are you trying to make out as if you are

(Original post by Bekaboo)
    Because you're probably mildly autistic. (NB for anyone who wants to slap me for being harsh - this isn't his first thread, and I work with autistic kids...) It's not mentally retarded, but it isn't neurotypical either. Provided that you're not mentally retarded, as you so PC-ly put it, then it's a case of learning things. Autistic kids (like me :p:) don't automatically pick up on social cues. So sometimes obvious things don't seem obvious to us. But that doesn't mean we're not capable of learning them, it just means that we actually have to do that actively rather than absorbing it by osmosis while we're growing up.

Whatever is up with you I think the key thing is to grow a pair and start doing something about it. Does it matter if you're mentally disadvantaged? Not really. It's not going to make it better. There aren't that many neurological diseases that make people behave how you've described that can really be 'treated'. So you're gonna have to live with it whether it's all in your head or an actual condition. So start developing coping strategies instead of sitting around whining.
    i know i'm mentally retarded. the first step to solving a problem is acknowledging the root of it.

and it's not in my head, i'm mentally slow and i just want to find out if i am.

and yes, it matters to ME. why should it not? i want to be normal, and have a laugh like all other young people do. if you can provide a reasoned answer to refute me, then go ahead.

(Original post by GdotL)
    Dude please go and see a psychiatrist...your perseverance with this fact really reminds me of a couple of people i've come across...and they are actually mentally ill
    i know i am. somebody has to prove to me i am not.

ReputationRep:
    why is it I am 19, and my perception is not the same level as other 19 year olds? :confused:

am i mentally retarded? :yes:
    Oh look, it's Rajekmwali/neckclicker troll again with his perceptual retardation.

Only this time he is claiming to be 19.. I thought you were 15? No wait, 24?

ReputationRep:
    i know i am. somebody has to prove to me i am not.
    Ok, so what you have said so far about the slow realisation is normal. So what are your other 'symptoms' you reckon you exhibit which would indicate mental problems?

(Original post by fallen angel9)
    No, it doesn't. Why are you trying to make out as if you are
    i want to know why i look the public joke for not knowing things most normal people do.

ReputationRep:
    i want to know why i look the public joke for not knowing things most normal people do.
    How are you a public joke. You sound like you have problems because you're so obsessed about this.

I am a public joke since i am always the last to know important things.

ReputationRep:
    You're obviously unhappy. Why do you not take people's good advice? Ultimately you can only improve if you want to make the effort. You seem to shoot down any attempts to help. Do you really want to change?

ReputationRep:
    i only recently knew that nothing should be taken for granted. or that everything in life has a cost.
    Living in poverty doesn't have a cost.

ReputationRep:
    It is not much to do with your age OP. It is simply a lack of experiences; others your age may have had more or less of them than you. The most important lessons in life can only be learnt via experience. At 19 you have not really been through any major changes.
    Quote ''i only recently knew that nothing should be taken for granted'': this is probably because you lost something i.e. had an experience. So now you're learning. Relax and enjoy life.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.