Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I drive, & as my parents are both in poor health I thought it would make sense to just take all my things up to uni in my car by myself. But my friend has told me this is "near impossible" and that everyone else will have at least a parent or a friend helping them.

I'm sure my boyfriend would help me but when I'm done shoving everything in my room I want to meet my flatmates and go out, and I don't think he'd be up for that & I wouldn't want to drive him all the way home again.

Has anyone else moved or is planning to move into accommodation by themselves? Is it really that hard? I have a fair bit of stuff & I am on the 12th floor! But surely it will be easier to make friends this way.

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure people will be willing to help!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would be impossible, when I got to my accommodation (although I had 3 people with me) there were lots of current students waiting to help you unload but I suppose it depends on the university. It might just take a while to get all your stuff up there

ReputationRep:
    I allways used to move all my gear by myself, it's fine.
    Ok you might have to make a few more trips to the car, but everyones moving in, so what's the rush?
    Unless you have something very heavy or awkward to carry like a piano you should be fine. But in that case you can just get someone to give you a hand.

ReputationRep:
    Think of it like this, if you're by yourself, the other flatmates (if they're nice) will help you out and you could offer to do the same for them. It could work as a good ice breaker!

ReputationRep:
    Id did it as my parents couldnt get the time off work it wasnt to bad but rather awkward when everyone else was in their rooms with their parents and i was on my own

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving down on my own, cus my parents are still on holiday. But they're coming down 2 days later with most of my stuff. I'm just really bringing 2 days supply of things!

ReputationRep:
    My mum and dad dont drive so i suppose my options are
    getting the 2 hour long train on my own whilst lugging
    a suitcase or begging someone else to drive me .

Since I have to move in on a Friday though, everyone else will be at work.

To be honest i hadnt even thought of bringing my parents till i saw this thread.

Would I be able to manage on my own though? Obviously i wouldnt take heavy stuff like cd player and that just clothes and essentials i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that both of you search for freshers attending your universities and your halls- facebook, TSR- just try to find someone.
    You could ask them to meet infront of the building, helping each other. That's what I would do if my mother wasn't coming with me.

ReputationRep:
    im taking both my parents as i have lots of stuff like wide screen tv, stero, xbox, the usual stuff, and lots of clothes, also were all gona drive down as were facing about a 4-5 hour drive though its all motorway so we should be fine, i think it would be easier taking someone with you and im pretty sure it wouldn't be awkward as if you were gona go out with your new hall mates i think the people who came with you would understand

come on sept!

ReputationRep:
    If you're worried about carrying heavy stuff up to your room, a lot of unis have Freshers Helpers (2nd and 3rd year students who volunteer to help you settle in). When I started uni they carried practically all of my stuff for me so maybe you'll have someone like that waiting for you when you arrive.

ReputationRep:
    i'm planning to do this movin into my post-grad halls. The uni is 4.5 hours away so making my mum come with me is a lot of driving for her, that isn't really necessary. I'm taking my own car (small ford fiesta) so i think that'll force me not to take loads of junk as i know i'll have to carry it all at the other end

ReputationRep:
    I moved into halls by myself from another country with little more than a backpack. Of course you can do it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.