Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to lose a couple of stone, and have set out what I'll be eating day to day I just wondered if it would be OK?

Breakfast:

Either a bowl of bran flakes and a low fat yoghurt or porridge with a small glass of pure orange juice.

Lunch:

A ham sandwich (or occassionally tuna) on wholemeal bread and a banana, or a chicken wrap and a banana, or when I'm sick of those some chicken soup or noodles.

Dinner:

Grilled chicken with vegetables and half a tin of potatoes twice a week, sausage and mash with vegetables once a week, pasta with sauce once a week, jacket potato with tuna twice a week, sunday roast (similiar to grilled chicken dinner but maybe with one yorkshire pud as a treat). Puddings: apple.

Treats if really neccessary: a small bowl of jelly!

Any ideas or criticism welcome, thanks

EDIT: I should mention I don't really have that much budget lol.

ReputationRep:
    Sausages and mash isn't a great diet meal - sausages are fatty, as is the mash. Tin of potatoes? :afraid:

Otherwise, yes, it's fine, though a bit carb heavy I'd say. Try dicing and roasting butternut squash/sweet potato instead of having potatoes some of the time, and chuck in some broccolli with the pasta and sauce.

ReputationRep:
    dont listen to melana that diet is perfectly fine, youhave your fruit, your carbs, your protein. Compare that to a mac donalds ad tell the OP to many carbs, dont listen OP its fine. Maintain it, plenty of exercise fueled by plenty of carbs and youll be good to go.

ReputationRep:
    Melana - yes, tins of potatoes, they seem to be low in calories and quite cheap as I mentioned low budget.

Logic - Thanks for your help, I will be hopefully doing cardio biking and skipping 3-4 times per week and losing 2lbs per week.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Waffles)
    Melana - yes, tins of potatoes, they seem to be low in calories and quite cheap as I mentioned low budget.
    As opposed to potatoes that aren't tinned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    As opposed to potatoes that aren't tinned?
    Are you trying to suggest that real potatoes are better than tinned ones? You could have just said that or offered some advice that's why I started this thread, I just got the tinned potato idea from some website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waffles)
    I'm hoping to lose a couple of stone, and have set out what I'll be eating day to day I just wondered if it would be OK?

Breakfast:

Either a bowl of bran flakes and a low fat yoghurt or porridge with a small glass of pure orange juice.
    Ditch the bran flakes completely and make it a full fat yoghurt, or at least natural yoghurt (no fat, but equal parts carbs and protein) Don't bother with the OJ, have some a piece of fruit instead.
    Lunch:

A ham sandwich (or occassionally tuna) on wholemeal bread and a banana, or a chicken wrap and a banana, or when I'm sick of those some chicken soup or noodles.
    Have a ham/tuna salad with a dressing like mayo with lots of veggies, a banana isn't bad, but berries or an apple would be better. No bread

Dinner:

Grilled chicken with vegetables and half a tin of potatoes twice a week, sausage and mash with vegetables once a week, pasta with sauce once a week, jacket potato with tuna twice a week, sunday roast (similiar to grilled chicken dinner but maybe with one yorkshire pud as a treat). Puddings: apple.
    Don't base your meals around carbohydrates like potatoes and pasta, instead just eat a piece of meat or fish with lots of veggies

Basically eat meat, fish, eggs, lots of vegetables, some nuts, a little fruit, not much starchy carbohydrate and no refined sugar and you'll be well on your way!

Eat more nuts as snacks if you are feeling hungry, and add some in at breakfast if you are feeling hungry in the morning, like almonds/cashews/walnuts, they aren't that expensive if you buy them raw!

Treats if really neccessary: a small bowl of jelly!

Any ideas or criticism welcome, thanks

EDIT: I should mention I don't really have that much budget lol.
    My ideas

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a decent start - try incorporating some Quorn or Cauldron products into your diet though - full of protein, they taste just as good as meat and they're far less fattening and calorific.

For snacks have handy carrots, celery, apples, clementines, grapes, raisins, nuts (but only a tiny handful each day!), rice cakes etc, and try to incorporate as much fruit and veg into your diet as you can.

If you have pasta or bread, replace white with wholemeal. If you want a sauce, make it a tomato one, with lots of veggies thrown in - not cheese. If you don't want a tomato sauce, cook your pasta and veg and add the zest and juice of a lemon, then just sprinkle a little grated cheese on top once the pasta's in your bowl - you get plenty of taste but without the calories.

If you need a dessert, have something like bananas and stewed fruit with a little custard or ice cream. Or make a light mousse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Sounds a decent start - try incorporating some Quorn or Cauldron products into your diet though - full of protein, they taste just as good as meat and they're far less fattening and calorific.
    Just to let you know, cauldron products aren't as good for you as quorn products

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEJ92)
    Just to let you know, cauldron products aren't as good for you as quorn products
    Why's that?

They're good for my taste buds :p:

ReputationRep:
    Why's that?

They're good for my taste buds :p:
    I've heard cauldron products are more calorific than quorn products.

I may be wrong, but I've heard it somewhere, plus quorn is tastier XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEJ92)
    I've heard cauldron products are more calorific than quorn products.

I may be wrong, but I've heard it somewhere, plus quorn is tastier XD
    Cauldron's yummy yummy yummy! Their sausages and burgers have more calories than frozen Quorn ones, but the same or fewer than fresh ones (for some reason, fresh Quorn burgers have like 120-odd calories as opposed to 80 or something frozen!).

You should try Cauldron mushroom burgers...they're awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh thanks everyone for the advice, I thought that I had quite a lot of carbs in the diet put I tried to put carbs, protein, good sugars from the fruit in for a balanced diet. I will cut back on the potatoes on an evening I think and just have meat and veg. I don't want to cut my diet down too drastically from what I'm used to or I'll just binge or feel fed up so I want to do it slowly. I'll have a look into these Quorn things, I've never heard of them, are they cheap? I bet they're not sound better though!

ReputationRep:
    whatthe hell is wrong with bannanas?

ReputationRep:
    Quorn and Cauldron stuff is pretty cheap and almost always on offer at one supermarket or other! Tip - buy Quorn stuff from the frozen section rather than the fridges, as it works out cheaper frozen. I totally rate their escalopes, sausages, burgers, mince - everything really!

ReputationRep:
    Why not just eat real meat instead of fake meat? Unless of course you are a vegetarian, but I didn't get the impression the OP was?

ReputationRep:
    Cauldron's yummy yummy yummy! Their sausages and burgers have more calories than frozen Quorn ones, but the same or fewer than fresh ones (for some reason, fresh Quorn burgers have like 120-odd calories as opposed to 80 or something frozen!).

You should try Cauldron mushroom burgers...they're awesome!

I think I may just have to try them then

I love the quorn dippers, they're yummy XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j09)
    Why not just eat real meat instead of fake meat? Unless of course you are a vegetarian, but I didn't get the impression the OP was?
    Fake stuff is a lot lower in calories and fat. And cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEJ92)
    I think I may just have to try them then

I love the quorn dippers, they're yummy XD
    Oo Quorn dippers...with loads of chilli sauce! :p:

Have you tried the fake-on (fake bacon)?! It's uber awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Oo Quorn dippers...with loads of chilli sauce! :p:

Have you tried the fake-on (fake bacon)?! It's uber awesome!

lol fake-on

never tried it, but will look out for it in shops XD

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.