Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does Britian have the highest teenage pregnancy rate? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Because we're all sluts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinsula)
    Is that thing a teenager :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with all three of your reasons. Firstly, it is more difficult for British teenagers to get hold of alcohol than other European teenagers as in many countries, the legal drinking age is 16, making it easier for them to buy alcohol. If anything, it's the British attitude to alcohol, not the amount that is available. Whereas in some countries, alcohol is introduced to children from a young age as a part of a meal, British teenagers usually try alcohol in a less controlled environment.

I don't think there is anything wrong with our sex education - particularly not in the way an above poster suggested that schools encourage teenagers to have sex. Aside from the fact that this obviously isn't true, I think that it's good that schools accept that teenagers will have sex, and therefore they to teach them how to protect themselves.

I have no idea how 'slackness of law and order' contributes to a high rate of teenage pregnancies, especially considering teenagers are unnecessarily targeted by the law. ASBOs, arresting over minor offences etc. only criminalise young people who would most likely grow out of it as they became an adult with responsibilities.

ReputationRep:
    Because there's no shame in it. Chav nans love the fact they're nans in their 30s and 40s!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)
    Beat you to it!
    then I agree with you :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    then I agree with you :yes:
    Good, it's the easiest thing to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapturedSoul)
    Because attitudes to sex are so lax in Britain?
    The Netherlands is more "lax" but has less pregnancies.

ReputationRep:
    social pressure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Because we have the highest teenage chav rate.
    this. Chavs.

ReputationRep:
    Too many sexy people and not enough contraception.

ReputationRep:
    Not enough girls have padlocks for their legs.:flute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Possible reasons include:

- Ease of access to alcohol, leading to drunkenness.
    - Lack of sex-related education.
    - Slackness of law and order.

Any other reasons you'd include?

this

ReputationRep:
    This country is filled with chavs and easy girls.

ReputationRep:
    Chavs. But how do we solve the problem of Chavs? I mean without silly fun answers like extermination.
    It's mainly our attitudes to teenage pregnancy and the welfare state which has become more like a fishing net than a safety net in that now people see it more as a "why should I bother if I get given everything on a plate" kind of thing.
    Also BBC3 doesn't help. It wants to appear cool and hip and young and "with it" and so puts on pathetic and awful documentaries glamorising teenage pregnancies. I don't think we should go back to the old view of teenage pregnancies being unspeakably taboo but we shouldn't carry on accepting it as something which "just happens" and "never-mind eh?".

Personally I think its a disgrace and should be approached as such. There needs to be a social stigma surrounding teenage pregnancies so that at the very least girls will maybe possibly (hopefully?) think twice before having sex.
    Same with guys and condoms.

ReputationRep:
    Because everyone's put under such stupid pressure to grow up, and to be seen as having sex and thinking it makes them cool.

I can guarantee you that of all the girls that get pregnant, only like 5% are doing it for the free housing. Benefits are actually a colossal joke - if you're thinking that people are doing it to try and buy themselves new gear with the cash, you must be joking. It's sod all, and you need far more than that to be able to bring up a child properly - why do you think that 1/3 children in Britain are being brought up under the poverty line?

Schools need a better policy of sex education - rather than just saying "sex is bad. Don't do it, but if you do, use a condom" why don't they get in students who have had kids young, to illustrate what they've gone through?

ReputationRep:
    i dunno y whites r more horny n sleazy

ReputationRep:
    becasue we like a good shag

ReputationRep:
    Lack of shame :eek:

I know eight girls from my old school that have had babies and I would say that 5/6 of them got pregnant "accidentally on purpose" mainly because deep down they have no self confidence and don't know what to do with their lives + sex ed failed miserably at my school, virtually non-existent.

But yeh, I had this discussion with my friend who used to live in Spain and she said that there they said that they had the highest rate of teen pregnancy in Europe too

ReputationRep:
    Because while we have decent educational establishments, the general attitude among younger generations towards education and academic motivation is appalling. Too many kids can't be bothered to dedicate themselves to education, thinking they're "cool" and "hard" and so on to drop out of school. And then since there are so few opportunities in the UK for people who do this, they just go, get a **** job, and realise there's nothing else to do in life, so go for the family option.

They're deliberately growing up too fast because there's **** all to do with your youth if you're not aiming decently academically, or want a specific job.

ReputationRep:
    The UK has a really complicated attitude when it comes to underage sex. In one sense we're very liberal - underage sex is tolerated and accepted, almost to the point where it's seen as the norm. In another sense we're very conservative - we don't like to talk about it, it's taboo and unclassy. So, young people feel like they should have sex, as if it's just the "done" thing, but they won't talk it over with their parents or elders and they equally do it as a form of rebellion. We have a "my child can do it as long as I don't know" attitude.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.