Turn on thread page Beta

Why does Britian have the highest teenage pregnancy rate? watch

ReputationRep:
    quite frankly i think it all boils down to the lack of self-respect in british culture and the way sex/alcohol is perceived in this country.
    Also have you people not seen the millions of posts on TSR about sex and all this and the amount of people encouraging these young people to go out, have sex and "try new things".

ReputationRep:
    Because they leave their crap schools with nothing going for them. The idea of being a mum is like a career choice at that point. It's a purpose.

ReputationRep:
    1. Poor parenting - Alot of parents are too lazy or can't be bothered to instil manners and common decency in to their off spring and leave that responsibility to the teachers and society.No wonder teachers have such a harsh time dealing with inbred chavs who respect no one.e.g the science teacher who is been charged with attempted murder,i wonder why such a well loved and popular teacher would just hit a pupil for no reason.He must have reached the end of his teether with all the **** they have to put up with from this stupid idiotic inbreds who are never taught respect by their chavvy parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Possible reasons include:

- Ease of access to alcohol, leading to drunkenness.
    - Lack of sex-related education.
    - Slackness of law and order.

Any other reasons you'd include?
    Because it isn't pc to say to kids, don't have sex.

And as most kids are arrogant gits who think that they are wonderfully mature and can deal with drinking, taking drugs, smoking and having sex and they are invincible and will never get old, become alcoholic, have a bad reaction to drugs, get pregnant etc they just do what they want.

So we now have huge numbers of teenage pregnancies, STDs, alcohol and drug addicition, suicides, and young people developing liver disease.

And as the legal system ignores this situation, and parents are not prepared to say no to their offspring, it will continue.

ReputationRep:
    Becoming a single mum at 16 means not having to work, living off benefits in a decent council house.

Take away all these benefits and the teenage pregnancy rate will fall immediately...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I disagree with all three of your reasons. Firstly, it is more difficult for British teenagers to get hold of alcohol than other European teenagers as in many countries, the legal drinking age is 16, making it easier for them to buy alcohol. If anything, it's the British attitude to alcohol, not the amount that is available. Whereas in some countries, alcohol is introduced to children from a young age as a part of a meal, British teenagers usually try alcohol in a less controlled environment.

I don't think there is anything wrong with our sex education - particularly not in the way an above poster suggested that schools encourage teenagers to have sex. Aside from the fact that this obviously isn't true, I think that it's good that schools accept that teenagers will have sex, and therefore they to teach them how to protect themselves.
    I have no idea how 'slackness of law and order' contributes to a high rate of teenage pregnancies, especially considering teenagers are unnecessarily targeted by the law. ASBOs, arresting over minor offences etc. only criminalise young people who would most likely grow out of it as they became an adult with responsibilities.
    I disagree completely with this comment. In my parent's generation and before, few if any teenagers were having sex because the social mores of that time meant that they were better supervised by their parents and they were less sexualised than children of a similar age are now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinglepupskye)
    I disagree completely with this comment. In my parent's generation and before, few if any teenagers were having sex because the social mores of that time meant that they were better supervised by their parents and they were less sexualised than children of a similar age are now.
    This is a naive view. Sex was simply more taboo so no one talked about it, let alone the media reporting about young people having sex. If your grandmother had've falled pregnant at a young age, she would've been taken off to a monastery to have the child and nothing more would've been said about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinglepupskye)
    That's what they want us to think. Of course they were having sex - it was just less accepted then, and therefore was covered up. Teenagers who got pregnant would be sent away to give birth and their children would be adopted. (perhaps not in our parents generation, but certainty the generation before that.) Besides, I don't believe that sex education has caused the growing acceptance of underage sex, it just responded to it. There is no longer any point in trying to stop teenagers having sex - the only thing left to do is to make sure it's done as safety as possible.

I saw a pregnant girl smoke two cigarettes yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really believe that teenage girls are thinking of housing and other aspects? I doubt it.
    This precisely. I really dont think girls think of the money when getting pregnant. Its only when they find out they are pregnant, they start counting their potential monies.

ReputationRep:
    Because teen parents are rewarded with their own flat, benefits and income for the baby which they instead use on themselves. Whenever the going goes bad and they need more money, just born another baby...
    It's the harsh reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    Because teen parents are rewarded with their own flat, benefits and income for the baby which they instead use on themselves. Whenever the going goes bad and they need more money, just born another baby...
    It's the harsh reality.
    Babies cost more than people receive in benefits. Having more children makes people worse off, not better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    british girls are fit and easy
    You've never left the country, have you?

Britain = not contender for the country with the best looking women.

On a funnier note, I've just remembered this clip:

EDIT: It used to work better when they mixed the track up. Damn youtube and copyright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)

nope, not much anyway

lol

ReputationRep:
    Possible reasons include:

- Ease of access to alcohol, leading to drunkenness.
    - Lack of sex-related education.
    - Slackness of law and order.

Any other reasons you'd include?
    Because we're the best damn country in the world at breeding sluts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Babies cost more than people receive in benefits. Having more children makes people worse off, not better.
    Yes but that's only the case assuming the benefit money is actually spent on the children, many teen parents do not do this. The children only have a small fraction of the money spent on them giving them a very poor unnurtured upbringing, whilst the parents just use most of it all on themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    Yes but that's only the case assuming the benefit money is actually spent on the children, many teen parents do not do this. The children only have a small fraction of the money spent on them giving them a very poor unnurtured upbringing, whilst the parents just use most of it all on themselves.
    exactly my point

they just put the child aside and look after number one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)

EDIT: It used to work better when they mixed the track up. Damn youtube and copyright.

Totally agree.Obese and bad teeth come to mind.

ReputationRep:
    Because these two are in Britain:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_mvobcuPa9QY/Rw...-pedo-bear.png

and

http://www.siteoffline.com/files/gle..._1920x1200.png

:yes:

ReputationRep:
    40% of teenager who are pregant have no qualifications AT ALL

I hate to say it, but it's the less intelligent who have kids at a young age.

I can see our society becoming more polarized in terms of IQ, with successful, intelligent men and women pairing off and chavs pairing off, to make the IQ curves less like a bell and more flat.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.