Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does Britian have the highest teenage pregnancy rate? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatboyGinger)
    40% of teenager who are pregant have no qualifications AT ALL

I hate to say it, but it's the less intelligent who have kids at a young age.

I can see our society becoming more polarized in terms of IQ, with successful, intelligent men and women pairing off and chavs pairing off, to make the IQ curves less like a bell and more flat.
    Qualifications have VERY LITTLE to do with intelligence.

Your post could not be more ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    Because the government subsidises single parents. It just encourages broken families, children brought up in relative poverty and with underaged and inexperianced parentage.

ReputationRep:
    Because Americans can't work out which hole it goes in

Spoiler:
    Show
    :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Coz there is little stigma in Britain with having a kid at such a young age, and the benefits given by the govt make it seem "ok".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Qualifications have VERY LITTLE to do with intelligence.

Your post could not be more ignorant.
    Thanks for that.
    But you're wrong.
    Not to stereotype, but I'm 90% sure I read that those who have lower intelligence have babies younger. Qualifications are one way of showing this.
    In fact I'm sure of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Because we have the highest teenage chav rate.
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatboyGinger)
    Thanks for that.
    But you're wrong.
    Not to stereotype, but I'm 90% sure I read that those who have lower intelligence have babies younger. Qualifications are one way of showing this.
    In fact I'm sure of it.
    I'm not sure how you're certain of this as there is no accurate measure of intelligence. The education system in this country is biased towards the middle-classes, so you cannot claim that qualifications are a way of showing intelligence. They're an indicator of class more than anything else. And you wouldn't be trying to imply that working-class people are less intelligent than middle-class people, would you?

ReputationRep:
    All the condoms were too big.......

ReputationRep:
    We have the highest rate of ****s in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Because Britain has a wide gap between the super elites and those at the bottom. A lot of teen mothers would be incomptent even in their thirties. Its not the age so much as the quality of the individual.

To an extent its an inborn problem that probably wont change much over time. However it would help if schools actually taught decent maths, science and english rather than relentlessly bombarding pupils with condoms and roleplay exercises.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing fundementally wrong with having a baby at 17/18/19, people need to stop associating teenage pregnancy as bad.

ReputationRep:
    i think it something people feel it loving it lol or Highest number of sluts. Stupid teenage they need to learn how to live , but making them family ashamle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    There is nothing fundementally wrong with having a baby at 17/18/19, people need to stop associating teenage pregnancy as bad.
    There is when you aren't married.

ReputationRep:
    Chavs are too "arsed mayte" to get the free contraceptive pill...
    ... and £1 for a condom!!?? It could be better spent on SuperKing Blue cigs init? :O

ReputationRep:
    Because we are the best at sexytimes :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    This is a naive view. Sex was simply more taboo so no one talked about it, let alone the media reporting about young people having sex. If your grandmother had've falled pregnant at a young age, she would've been taken off to a monastery to have the child and nothing more would've been said about it.
    That is simply not true. In my mother's year at school only 1 girl out of 100 became pregnant, and she was almost 18 so comparitively old by today's standards.

I'll give you one very good reason that underage sex was rarer in earlier generations - the lack of contraception. If sex was as frequent as you claim there would have been hundreds of thousands of illegitimate babies being born. There is no statistical evidence of that happening. In reality, if you got a girl pregnant then, you would be forced to marry her and to legitimise the child.

And a monastery is the last place a young, unmarried mother would have been taken. I think that you meant a convent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap)
    "free housing because i has a kid, innit?".

This.

ReputationRep:
    Cause not only are we surlagggsss, but we're irresponsible and dirty surlaggggsss. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Britian has the teenage pregnancy rate because some people dont use contraception or use different ways of not getting pregnant that a freind told them that doesn't work and are irresponsible, Also in some areas a baby is like an acessory for some mothers so its cool to have one and their are a lot of chavs and mothers that dont care. Its just wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Several countries with significantly lower rates (Ireland is a fittingly good example here) have a history of Catholic hierarchy linked to the state, with a culture of suppression and general 'Catholic guilt'. Of course, this resulted in the Magdalene lanudries and such and nowadays, this is not the case. I'm pretty sure it would still account for the difference. The ease of contraception, advice, family planning clinics, the morning after pill and abortion in the UK means that some people may be a bit too relaxed about it. Abortion is illegal here, contraception was finally legalised in the 1970's, you need a ******* letter from your GP to get the morning after pill and clinics where you can pop in and get advice and free condoms are virtually non-existent.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.