Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does Britian have the highest teenage pregnancy rate? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    There is when you aren't married.
    Actually, I don't see the problem if it is 2 people in a long-term relationship. I don't see how marriage changes everything.

A bit more loosely I would agree it usually wouldn't be a good thing if they weren't in a decent relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    Actually, I don't see the problem if it is 2 people in a long-term relationship. I don't see how marriage changes everything.

A bit more loosely I would agree it usually wouldn't be a good thing if they weren't in a decent relationship.
    Marriage is probably more stable as you have to go through a process to actually break it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    Marriage is probably more stable as you have to go through a process to actually break it up.
    Yeah I agree there.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Because we have the highest teenage chav rate.
    this totally.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap)
    All of the above. Also due to the fact that most scummy teenage mummies see them as an accessorie due to the fact that their friends may have been knocked up by their 14 year old boyfriends. They also see is as a fast track to "free housing because i has a kid, innit?".
    lol, well said +rep.

ReputationRep:
    Recession - can't get jobs and are left with nothing else to do. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I'm not sure how you're certain of this as there is no accurate measure of intelligence. The education system in this country is biased towards the middle-classes, so you cannot claim that qualifications are a way of showing intelligence. They're an indicator of class more than anything else. And you wouldn't be trying to imply that working-class people are less intelligent than middle-class people, would you?
    I'll bet any money that if you compared intelligence of the CEOs of companies listed in the FTSE 100 and with a sample of 100 teenage mothers you'd get some very interesting results.
    One group would out perform the other, I think.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone said: "Because I live there" or can I take the opportunity to fill that quota?

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine said this about Britain

" America use guns to tackle violence and social problems, Britain use sex"

:p: so maybe thats y.:p:

Personally I think its the goverment's fault, if you have a baby, you get all these benefits, and dont get me wrong, yes new parents and children need help, but not as much help as they are given. Also our sex education isn't that good, I think i can honestly say that I learnt more about my period, then about sex in sex education. Obv women have to learn about their periods, but we need to learn about sex too.

(Original post by im so academic)
    Because of all the ******* chavs and chavettes destroying the country. :yep:

Have you seen the BBC3 series "Underage and Pregnant" or something to that effect? Shocking...
    I actually thought for being underage and pregnant they were less charvy than id expect. They had a job for a start.

ReputationRep:
    I think part of the reason may be due to that fact that Britain has gradually become more secular and liberal. There also been a breakdown in the traditional family unit structure. Other European countries still hold these values and I believe that it does play a role in the rate of teenage pregnancies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauralollipop)
    A friend of mine said this about Britain

" America use guns to tackle violence and social problems, Britain use sex"

:p: so maybe thats y.:p:

Personally I think its the goverment's fault, if you have a baby, you get all these benefits, and dont get me wrong, yes new parents and children need help, but not as much help as they are given. Also our sex education isn't that good, I think i can honestly say that I learnt more about my period, then about sex in sex education. Obv women have to learn about their periods, but we need to learn about sex too.
    Don't blame the government!! You can blame them for the financial crisis, tax increases, etc, but not for little Chloe getting up the duff. It's down to the parents to educate their children on these matters.

ReputationRep:
    Bad parenting..

A lot of kids in Britain get drunk but i think most that get pregnant are sober when doing so!

They want to grow old too fast! (Getting pregnant accomplishes this quite well, however)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunty64)
    Don't blame the government!! You can blame them for the financial crisis, tax increases, etc, but not for little Chloe getting up the duff. It's down to the parents to educate their children on these matters.
    True true, I didnt think about the parents, but I still do think the government are to blame partly (if only for the fact that our sex ed isnt that good).

ReputationRep:
    People too nonchalant when it comes to sexual ethics, well assuming people here even believe in such a thing anyway. Sex education in my opinion should also try to cover this point; have discussions on what sex means to the young kids instead of just "warning" them they'll get pregnant

ReputationRep:
    Chavs...blame everything on the chavs....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauralollipop)
    True true, I didnt think about the parents, but I still do think the government are to blame partly (if only for the fact that our sex ed isnt that good).
    How informative does sex education have to be to get the pregnancy rate down? However good sex education is, I still believe there will be as many girls getting pregnant, because it is not the underlying issue; merely an excuse.

ReputationRep:
    Sex ed is an issue but is it the main cause like many people have posted on this thread? I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)
    Becoming a single mum at 16 means not having to work, living off benefits in a decent council house.
    Decent council house is an oxymoron as far as I'm concerned, and yes, my parents live in one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stainluss)
    Bad parenting..

A lot of kids in Britain get drunk but i think most that get pregnant are sober when doing so!

They want to grow old too fast! (Getting pregnant accomplishes this quite well, however)
    I think you have something here. I see many people getting married as soon as they can but I'm not sure if today is any 'worse' than a few decades ago, especially when it was the social norm to move out as soon as you can, get married and have kids like in my mum's day. A common age for people to settle down that I know is 25 or thereabouts, not in the teens.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.