Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does Britian have the highest teenage pregnancy rate? Watch

ReputationRep:
    well... i dont know about britain schools... but here in new zealand schools give out free condoms to everyone.... u can literally go into the clinic everyday and grab a handful of condoms with different flavours..... could that be a problem in britain? schools not giving out condoms?

ReputationRep:
    because it's full of chavs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Do you really believe that teenage girls are thinking of housing and other aspects? I doubt it.
    Some of them are.
    I've heard of and actually know people who have done become pregnant just to get a free flat off the council or for more benefits.

ReputationRep:
    or to get some money, you get £ 1500 for a kid.
    anyway if you go for a walk at night, streets are full of drunk teengares who dont really know what they are doing. its true, yuo get free condoms and free abortion but who really think about it when they go out?? seems like these teens are too lazy to even be bothered to prevent themselves form having a baby or sorting out. seems like life is only about having fun without consequences.
    i know one girl who has 3 kids with three different guys and she still goes out. she leaves her children with her friends and goes out like nothing happened. ofc all of these kids she got after a night out. she's in the mid 20s. in some cases its all about people's stupidity

ReputationRep:
    Because most teenagers have thrusty thrusty hips
    and tiny tiny brains

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Possible reasons include:

- Ease of access to alcohol, leading to drunkenness.
    - Lack of sex-related education.
    - Slackness of law and order.

Any other reasons you'd include?
    How about:

Benefits given out/council housing or hostels (for 16+), which means they would never really be homeless or have NO money.

Oh, and you can throw the NHS in too.

*we only have the highest rate in europe... but stiill

ReputationRep:
    I've always wondered why we don't get tv programmes showing middle class teenage mums. It's always the working class kids from Stoke or Landaan. I think it'd be useful to show how there's teen pregnancy in all walks of life, not just the poorly educated ones.

In my opinion, it's a combination of lack of education and guidance and a lack of self-worth. Girls aren't being taught about self-respect, self-worth or self-asteem any more. They put out to get love and in return end up getting knocked up because they weren't clued up about safe sex.

If young girls were taught by their mothers to appreciate themselves, to value themselves, there'd be a lot less underage sex imo. Girls put out because they're too naive to think for themselves. They're led by peer pressure and boyfriend pressure and because they have virtually no self asteem or self worth, they have sex with their boyfriends because that's the 'done thing'.

Parents in general have stopped teaching their children all the life lessons that school doesn't teach you.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=im so academic]Because of all the ******* chavs and chavettes destroying the country. :yep:

Have you seen the BBC3 series "Underage and Pregnant" or something to that effect? Shocking...[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The second one was from the town I live in. :| It's ******* embarrassing. She was like (to her Mum) "You're more like the Mum aren't you? You do all of the cooking and cleaning and that." :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Because of all the ******* chavs and chavettes destroying the country. :yep:

Have you seen the BBC3 series "Underage and Pregnant" or something to that effect? Shocking...
    That's not very nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FAILINGKID)
    well... i dont know about britain schools... but here in new zealand schools give out free condoms to everyone.... u can literally go into the clinic everyday and grab a handful of condoms with different flavours..... could that be a problem in britain? schools not giving out condoms?
    Where i live in stoke-on-trent they have a health centre where you can go and get a handful of condoms, within reason though of course

ReputationRep:
    Why does Britain have the highest teenage pregnancy rate?
    Because I'm the love doctor and I'm ******* horny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinglepupskye)
    That is simply not true. In my mother's year at school only 1 girl out of 100 became pregnant, and she was almost 18 so comparitively old by today's standards.

I'll give you one very good reason that underage sex was rarer in earlier generations - the lack of contraception. If sex was as frequent as you claim there would have been hundreds of thousands of illegitimate babies being born. There is no statistical evidence of that happening. In reality, if you got a girl pregnant then, you would be forced to marry her and to legitimise the child.

And a monastery is the last place a young, unmarried mother would have been taken. I think that you meant a convent!
    Haha, yes I think I did mean a convent. The point I'm making is it was a lot more hush hush back in the day. So, if a girl fell pregnant at school, she would be immediately taken out of school with as few people learning about it as possible and had the baby taken from her. I also doubt the figure is much higher than 1% on average today anyway. The problem is probably worse today, for other reasons, but I'm highly sceptical of anyone who thinks this is a problem unique to today's youth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I've always wondered why we don't get tv programmes showing middle class teenage mums. It's always the working class kids from Stoke or Landaan. I think it'd be useful to show how there's teen pregnancy in all walks of life, not just the poorly educated ones.
    There was a programme on Channel 4 looking at class and wealth differences, and it involved primarily one lower working class girl and one upper middle class girl. The upper middle class girl was discussing with her friend the problem of teenage pregnancies with poorer girls, and both her and her friend admitted that if they or their friends feel pregnant, the child would be aborted. I know this is only one girl and her friend, but I think this is quite telling as to why you don't see many teenage middle class mums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatboyGinger)
    I'll bet any money that if you compared intelligence of the CEOs of companies listed in the FTSE 100 and with a sample of 100 teenage mothers you'd get some very interesting results.
    One group would out perform the other, I think.:yes:
    I am sure you are right. But this is because IQ is a consequence of staying in education longer, rather than the cause of it. There is a study that shows that IQ has no relationship to educational attainment, however, the longer you stay in education, the more your IQ improves. Therefore 'intelligence' is created by the education system and cannot be used as an accurate measurement. I would also bet that the CEOs are all from upper-middle class backgrounds, meaning they had the opportunity to stay in education.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the system over here is very off-putting. Before you can have access to condoms (e.g. at a health centre) you need to get what's known as a "c-card" and to quote the c-card website "You will be seen in a private space by a c:card worker who will talk to you about your relationships, show you how to put on a condom and give you information about safer sex." For our school, this was done in the youth club of the local church. It's not exactly easy access.

ReputationRep:
    English girls are easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Yeah, the system over here is very off-putting. Before you can have access to condoms (e.g. at a health centre) you need to get what's known as a "c-card" and to quote the c-card website "You will be seen in a private space by a c:card worker who will talk to you about your relationships, show you how to put on a condom and give you information about safer sex." For our school, this was done in the youth club of the local church. It's not exactly easy access.
    wait WHAT?!??!?1 show you how to put on a condom??? does he wear one infront of u??? do they put it on u??? that is just hilarious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)
    English girls are easy.
    Not really...

Social conventions change but biology dances to a different tune. The teenage years are actually, from a physiological perspective, the optimum for reproduction. The issue is thus not really about teenage pregancy being a problem of itself but as a problem for those seeking pregnancy control in relation to socially and politically constructed normatives.

Look up functionalism.

ReputationRep:
    wait WHAT?!??!?1 show you how to put on a condom??? does he wear one infront of u??? do they put it on u??? that is just hilarious
    Haha, I've never been but I imagine they put it on a plastic penis or at worst on a banana. Otherwise, I think it'd be breaching some kind of harrassment laws.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.