Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does Britian have the highest teenage pregnancy rate? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Because it doesn't pose a problem for said teenagers; to them becoming a teen mother = stacks of benefits. In other countries the kids know that if they become a parent at 16 they aren't going to be able to support themselves. Here it's all handed to them on a silver platter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    Marriage is probably more stable as you have to go through a process to actually break it up.
    It's not exactly hard to get a divorce these days given how many previously married couples do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Possible reasons include:

- Ease of access to alcohol, leading to drunkenness.
    - Lack of sex-related education.
    - Slackness of law and order.

Any other reasons you'd include?
    First one: true
    Second one: Not true. Everyone knows about condoms and the process of sex by the age of 12.
    Third one: So police are sneaking in your bedrooms, making sure you're not havning sex? :rofl: Nah, law abiding people have sex too.

I think it is society, how acceptable it is now to have sex, drunkness, long term relationships and the pressure on males to have sex. Compared to other countries, say Ireland for example, we are a lot less religious and a lot more rowdy. Also, some Mulisms over here are westizing and having sex too, or as a rellibion (sp?) to their parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I've always wondered why we don't get tv programmes showing middle class teenage mums. It's always the working class kids from Stoke or Landaan. I think it'd be useful to show how there's teen pregnancy in all walks of life, not just the poorly educated ones.

In my opinion, it's a combination of lack of education and guidance and a lack of self-worth. Girls aren't being taught about self-respect, self-worth or self-asteem any more. They put out to get love and in return end up getting knocked up because they weren't clued up about safe sex.

If young girls were taught by their mothers to appreciate themselves, to value themselves, there'd be a lot less underage sex imo. Girls put out because they're too naive to think for themselves. They're led by peer pressure and boyfriend pressure and because they have virtually no self asteem or self worth, they have sex with their boyfriends because that's the 'done thing'.

Parents in general have stopped teaching their children all the life lessons that school doesn't teach you.
    This. Society has made it so that intelligence in females is mocked but if you have nice tits then you're worthy of positive attention and flirting with a guy will get you more popular than having a decent conversation. Most kids just want to do what their friends are up to and once a few have had kids themselves the others look at it as a reasonable lifestyle option. Personally I don't think that teen mothers should be stigmatised and sent away but that teens should be made to realise that they are their own person and doing something because others are is stupid.

And I'm not saying that you shouldn't keep the baby if you want to but I would definitely have an abortion if a test came up positive and I feel like a lot of the girls I know from worse-of backgrounds wouldn't get the encouragement and support that could make that an option. Honestly I know people who have worse rumours going around about them because they got rid of a baby than for having one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    Because it doesn't pose a problem for said teenagers; to them becoming a teen mother = stacks of benefits. In other countries the kids know that if they become a parent at 16 they aren't going to be able to support themselves. Here it's all handed to them on a silver platter.
    I don't think girls go out of the way to come young mothers. Yes, it may make other countries more way, but maybe it's more socielly acceptable over here now in comparision. In my grandma's time, it was very frowned upon and ppeople gave away the baby. Now, I know at least 7 people aged 18-19 with babies, and maybe their mothers had children at a young age too. If their friends have kids, they're pro-life, and/or realise they haven't got much of a future, and yes, the govt gives a few benefits, then what's the problem with keeping it?

ReputationRep:
    A broken society where child poverty, social deprivation, a lack of aspiration and family break-down are issues that have not been adequately tackled. These are the root causes.

ReputationRep:
    chavs ftw

ReputationRep:
    I think that even though we are bombarded with free condoms and STI testing practically from birth, we aren't generally taught how to use contraception correctly. I remember in year 9 everyone was ment to put condoms on testubes or something, but my class didn't as a punishment for misbehaving (like it's some kind of privilege!). We were never taught about the pill, or other forms of contraception - all we knew was that it stopped you getting pregnant. Everything me and my friends have learnt about sex/contraception is from personal experiences, internet/tv, and trial and error.

Aside from the lack of knowledge of using condoms/taking the pill etc, I think the other problem is the fact that lots of people "don't like" condoms, or don't take the pill properly because they forget, or think that it makes them ill. I have a friend who had a pregnancy scare at 14 because she didn't like condoms, and thought the withdrawal method would be enough. She wasn't pregnant, and carried on having unprotected sex fro 2 years until she went on the pill. She claimed that it made her have headaches and put weight on, so switched brands a few times before stopping taking it.

Having said that, I also have a friend who had her little boy at 16, and she's a fantastic mum, she's engaged to his dad, and is planning on going to uni next year. It just goes to show that even though having a baby young is a major inconvenience, and really difficult, it can be done, and it isn't the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    teen pregnancies, like the rise od STIs, are a side effect of teens insisting on screwing around. partly, as said before, because of easy access to alcohol & teens insisting on binge drinking & losing control.

& partly coz adults have the wrong attitude towards it.

the problem is, we're all told at the age of maybe 11 or 12, what sex is & what its for, then later on we're given advice on contraception - so in other words we know the basics. everyone's also aware that sex can be jolly good fun. that's why people like to do it. but in britain we're told how it works & everything but then we're basically told that we shouldn't do it, teens have adults telling them that they're not ready & so on, which just makes them more determined to do it. its like breaking the rules makes it more fun.

plus, as was said before, the attraction of benefits.

someone earlier said that lack of education is to blame, but it seems to be too much education (judging from how those teens [under a trial program] who were given free advice on sex & free condoms ended up with higher teen pregnancy rates than the rest of britain).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    Some of them are.
    I've heard of and actually know people who have done become pregnant just to get a free flat off the council or for more benefits.
    That's really sad. Raising a kid will cost more than the benefits will being them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I think you have something here. I see many people getting married as soon as they can but I'm not sure if today is any 'worse' than a few decades ago, especially when it was the social norm to move out as soon as you can, get married and have kids like in my mum's day. A common age for people to settle down that I know is 25 or thereabouts, not in the teens.
    I dont mean getting married, but having sex and drinking in their teens.

They want to do adult stuff too fast.

ReputationRep:
    The general attitudes towards education is something that needs to be changed. However I think that underage sex is something which is tolerated and accepted here.

ReputationRep:
    In Britain we shag and ****. In Italy, France and Spain they make love.

ReputationRep:
    That's really sad. Raising a kid will cost more than the benefits will being them.
    Yeah but as someone said before they use their benefit money to buy their trainers and xbox games, who cares if the kid has nothing to wear! Also free milk, rent paid for, money for food/bills etc. so they probably receive enough for it to seem good to them- also as some of them are already from families living on benefits it's not like it's a drop to go and then live in a flat with kids of their own if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    Yeah but as someone said before they use their benefit money to buy their trainers and xbox games, who cares if the kid has nothing to wear! Also free milk, rent paid for, money for food/bills etc. so they probably receive enough for it to seem good to them- also as some of them are already from families living on benefits it's not like it's a drop to go and then live in a flat with kids of their own if that makes sense.
    Yeah, I get your point. I just find it strange that a person is willing to fall pregnant, go through birth, and then raise that kid just to improve their chances of council housing and be eligible for more welfare benefits.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I get your point. I just find it strange that a person is willing to fall pregnant, go through birth, and then raise that kid just to improve their chances of council housing and be eligible for more welfare benefits.
    Yeah I'm not at all condoning it or saying I understand it! It's a sad world when babies are being born as a money-making potential rather than because they're wanted and loved!

ReputationRep:
    Easy answer - ridiculously large amounts of benefits plus free council house. It's almost as if Labour are proud of our teen pregnancy rate...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehistorian)
    Easy answer - ridiculously large amounts of benefits plus free council house. It's almost as if Labour are proud of our teen pregnancy rate...
    But the benefits arent that much, so if they are doing it for that then theyre bad parent since they are CHOOSING to raise their kids in proverty. Arent parents supposed to want the best for their kids?

Also, what about middle/upper class kids? not all teen mums are chavs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I don't think there is anything wrong with our sex education - particularly not in the way an above poster suggested that schools encourage teenagers to have sex. Aside from the fact that this obviously isn't true, I think that it's good that schools accept that teenagers will have sex, and therefore they to teach them how to protect themselves.
    I disagree, I think our sex education is crap. It's taught too late and it isn't comprehensive enough. My school only mentioned condoms or other forms of contraception when we were 14, and a lot of people were already sexually active or knew about sex already from television and books/internet etc. There needs to be a set syllabus to teach that will cover what children really need to know, before they're old enough to have done it already, and also include gay and lesbian sex. That wasn't mentioned at all in lessons.

I agree with your second statement, however. Teens knowing how to protect themselves will prevent unwanted pregnancy. I don't think that young girls only think about what the welfare state will do for them when they're having underage sex, I think it's mainly an uninfomed decision. Alcohol certainly doesn't help.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe one reason is that there seem to be less religious people in Britain than in alot of other countries.
    Also in Britain we don't seem to have much education on the subject at all while we're young.
    In my whole time at school, I had a 15 minute session of sex education, but that just teaches you contraception matters, but it doesn't cause young people to be any more precautious, they will just use one form of contraception and not care if it fails, because it's not really drilled into teens of how life-changing it would be to have a child, they see it as a great thing and almost a fashion accessory, until they realise how hard it is.
    I think in Britain there should be more classes, not just teaching you contraception, but also showing you how tough it would be to get pregnant, whether the baby is kept or aborted. That way teens might atleast try and be as precautious as possible with contraception.

I don't agree that it's all "chavs" that get pregnant young, "Chavs" just keep the babies as they don't see that they have anything else going for them, the opportunities they have in life are limited. I'm sure just as many upper class teens get pregnant, but they would all have abortions all due to their overly embarrassed parents, and no one would be any the wiser.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.