Turn on thread page Beta

Does 'U' count as a GCSE? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I remember once when our local paper published GCSE results with all the surnames of the people who got them from every school in the area.

One guy got one G and the rest U's. I laughed.

ReputationRep:
    I left everything below a C off my application. (it didn't leave very much lol!)

I got an e-mail from the university asking if I had GCSE English, I simply replied no, and asked them politely to look at my A-Level work to prove I was more than competent in the English Language

... I was then offered the place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelancastrian)
    One guy got one G and the rest U's. I laughed.
    I didn't think G was possible?!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    Only A*-C grades actually "count" as a GCSE, but D-G are still qualifications, just not worth as much. Technically speaking, anything below C at GCSE is a fail.
    No, technically speaking D-G grades are passes; but in practice anything below a C, or especially below a D, won't get you far.

(Original post by Crazy_Moo129)
    It's possible at GCSE, but at A-level the lowest pass grade is an E.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wombat678)
    How does anyone get a U? I really dont understand LOL
    i know 20% for a G is possible in the coursework alone :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orionmoo)
    I was 3 marks off a U in one of my geography exams last Jan
    how is it possible to be off of a u? that is the lowest and runs from 0 marks

unless you mean you got 3 marks high and if you didnt have those 3 marks then you'd have a U?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    No, technically speaking D-G grades are passes; but in practice anything below a C, or especially below a D, won't get you far.

It's possible at GCSE, but at A-level the lowest pass grade is an E.
    It's true... wikipedia says so :cool:

I always thought anything below C was a fail so I always leave off my French and R.E. marks (something silly like D and E). If they count I may as well sneak them back on and live with the shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orionmoo)
    I was 3 marks off a U in one of my geography exams last Jan
    As far as i know you don't get a grade on the basis of one exam.

If in January, I guess, it was a module. Your Grade for Geography is based on all the papers/modules/coursework.

ReputationRep:
    I got a G in French, however it was just from coursework I didn't sit the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wombat678)
    How does anyone get a U? I really dont understand LOL
    write your answers in ****?

And ina completely new language you just made up?

lol.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha and there was me thinking just turning up and putting your name on the paper at GCSE guaranteed you a C...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)
    write your answers in ****?

And ina completely new language you just made up?

lol.
    You get UMS marks just for writing your name, even if you write the answers incoherently and in bloody mandarin chinese you should still get marks that bring it up from a U to a G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superfical space cadet)
    I got a G in French, however it was just from coursework I didn't sit the exam.
    I must have skipped a G then, mine went straight from F to U :grin:

'Adverse Circs' and all that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordan12)
    It wouldn't be on a certificate. U means you weren't awarded the qualification. A certificate is only issued to somebody who has passed.
    Never new that, I just assumed the certificate would show all exams you sat, even if it was ungraded. My bad.

ReputationRep:
    Even if it was on a certificate, I wouldn't mention it. As long as it isn't directly relevant to the course you're applying for and you have enough subjects so that dropping one isn't noticable. I got a D in GCSE Drama and have never put it in any of my CVs and application forms, no one's ever batted an eyelid.

ReputationRep:
    what is a G? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I got a U for English Lit GCSE because I had chronic tonsillitis the day of the exam and couldn't actually get up without vomiting, and my teacher managed to lose my mock exam, and therefore completely cocked up my grade. Shame, as it was likely to be another A ¬_¬

You don't get certificated for it, and I didn't put it on my UCAS, as I don't count it as a GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jon838)
    what is a G? :confused:
    It comes after F lol :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    If you have to send them the copies of your exam results then yes - it'll show up as a U on your grades. But if they don't ask to see copies, then no.
    :eek: I skipped all my r.e. exams (ill for 1st & bad teachers didn't organise retakes). I thought i just wouldn't get a grade??:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    :eek: I skipped all my r.e. exams (ill for 1st & bad teachers didn't organise retakes). I thought i just wouldn't get a grade??:confused:
    if you were registered for an exam and you didn't turn up, you'd likely get a U. But if the exam wasn't actually organised in the first place then it wouldn't be on your results.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.