Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for the cheapest fares, train or coach, from London to Glasgow return for next weekend (either 7th or 14th). Normally I travel by train but it costs me £108 for a return which is far too much when I'm doing it regularly. +rep each day of the week for the person who finds it lowest if that spurs you on! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggsx)
    I'm looking for the cheapest fares, train or coach, from London to Glasgow return for next weekend (either 7th or 14th). Normally I travel by train but it costs me £108 for a return which is far too much when I'm doing it regularly. +rep each day of the week for the person who finds it lowest if that spurs you on! :woo:
    Are you eligible for a young persons railcard? If so, that cuts 1/3 off the cost per journey (in this case £36), and for a year it costs £26. If you check National Express East Coast far enough in advance you can sometimes get it for around £60, and I recently booked return Easyjet flights to London for £26.99 each way. The bus was relatively inexpensive too the last time I looked- around £50.

ReputationRep:
    You've left it a bit late for advance fares, that would have been your best bet and if you're doing it regularly you should look into that.

Also have you got a railcard? I'm assuming you're 16-25 so you can get a railcard that knocks 1/3 off your train fare.

Try megabus, I had a quick look and you can get a return for the weekend of the 7th for about £46. Takes about twice as long as the train though.

ReputationRep:
    I make this journey 6 times a year. Coach will invariably be the cheapest option, but I'd find a coach journey that long to be intolerable myself.

Have you considered EasyJet or similar? It's quicker than the train and usually cheaper too.

ReputationRep:
    For the 7th it costs £23-£25 depending on what time you want to travel at.. Thats with megabus if thats any help

edit: someone beat me to it :p:

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the sleeper train... If you look in advance on www.firstscotrail.com you sometimes can get £19 each way fares.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.