Turn on thread page Beta

dress for my engagement party watch

ReputationRep:
    so this was a thread about a dress i already have, but the general opinion was that i shouldn't wear the dress. so i need help finding one i should wear!
    a lot of people have said i should wear something classic, and i agree with this, so something like that would be great.
    just above the knee is an ideal length for me.
    i'm very slim so nothing that will swamp me!
    and (unfortunately) i have very little money so as cheap as possible i'm afraid.

thanks to everyone who gave opinions on the dress!

ReputationRep:
    Shape-wise it's not a bad dress but I can't say I really like the pattern, especially the big see-through diamond on the top half.
    It also seems a very fashionable dress (with all that lace it seems very vintage-y, which I suppose is quite fashionable), and to be honest if it were my engagement party I would perhaps want to wear something a little more classic so that I wouldn't be all embarrassed when looking at the photos in years to come. It's just that these things can date really quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but it's hideous.

ReputationRep:
    I actually really like it It's different.

With some nice heels and a gorgeous necklace it'll look amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't like it. I like the shape but not the pattern. If you like it and feel comfortable though, that's all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a girl, but if you want my opinion.. I dislike the pattern. For an engagement party perhaps something a bit more classical or upbeat?

ReputationRep:
    The dress is nice itself, but it looks a little loose/big on you. Especially round the waist.

Try the belt thing.

As for the straps... I'd wear it strapless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Shape-wise it's not a bad dress but I can't say I really like the pattern, especially the big see-through diamond on the top half.
    It also seems a very fashionable dress (with all that lace it seems very vintage-y, which I suppose is quite fashionable), and to be honest if it were my engagement party I would perhaps want to wear something a little more classic so that I wouldn't be all embarrassed when looking at the photos in years to come. It's just that these things can date really quickly.
    what do you mean by see through? it's pink fabric, not my skin just in case there's any confusion lol

ReputationRep:
    It looks like you've taken a photo of your back. It doesn't do much for your figure. Weirdly, I don't like the shape but I do like the pattern. I wouldn't wear it and that's my honest opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Not good. It's frumpy, both the shape and the pattern. You're very thin and that cut swamps you. Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    It's ugly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    It doesn't do much for your figure.
    ...apart from make it look worse.

Sorry, the dress pattern is ok but ruins your figure.

ReputationRep:
    It's not my favourite pattern and the shape doesn't seem to really fit you very well - seems to hang off you. I'm sure it could be a lovely dress on the right person and with a nice belt to take it in (can't really tell whether you can 'pull it off' exactly cos can't see your face). I think only you can answer whether it suits you/looks appropriate. If you were going to wear it I would suggest getting a shawl/nicer bolero and maybe black tights and a black belt to nip it in at the waist. That could work in my opinion and turn it into a really nice classy dress.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it flatters you at all, not one bit.
    In fact, I think it's pretty ugly. Sorry, don't mean to offend lol.

ReputationRep:
    its not nice at all especially for an engagement and it's unflattering and looks shapeless on your figure.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I don't really like it. I think you should go for something else

ReputationRep:
    I think if it was fitted better - it would look quite nice. It looks about 2 sizes big on you.

ReputationRep:
    I actually really like it, both the pattern and the shape! I think it's got a vintage look to it, I can see what others are saying about the shape, but it looks to me like it's supposed to be kind of blousy and not too fitted.
    Can I ask where you got it from?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like it either.

ReputationRep:
    It's awful. What possessed you to buy it? Awful colouring, awful shape, awful pattern, awful fabric... Just put it in the bin, or give it to Granny to make a patchwork quilt from.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.