Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For a while now, I have lost total interest in the idea of studying Philosophy at university - I hold an offer for Philosophy and Economics at the LSE. But I definitely have a much stronger interest in Mathematics and would rather study that instead. Maths and Economics or Business Maths and Statistics would do me fine. I have emailed the admissions tutor, who simply replied that I should not take up my LV15 offer just to change it and I am better off re-applying. Yet that would mean a year out, which is a course of action I am just unable to take. I categorically do not want to do any more Philosophy.

What are the chances of me being able to switch to either one of two degree courses mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    At the beginning of the year - no chance. You need to choose the harder stats and maths modules from your electives and get a 2.1 minimum in them + Econ B and a 2.2 in PH103. Then you can switch once the second year starts. Do a search next time first.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, sir. I will do a search next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astudent)
    At the beginning of the year - no chance. You need to choose the harder stats and maths modules from your electives and get a 2.1 minimum in them + Econ B and a 2.2 in PH103. Then you can switch once the second year starts. Do a search next time first.
    That would be for straight econ though, this dude wants to switch to Maths+Econ or BMS which I guess would be impossible at the end of the first year (due to no MA103 or AC100).
    As for making that switch at the start of the year: very unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdVein)
    That would be for straight econ though, this dude wants to switch to Maths+Econ or BMS which I guess would be impossible at the end of the first year (due to no MA103 or AC100).
    You don't need MA103 to do the second year maths courses, MA200/1, just MA100. PH103 could be made as my outside option, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by autohmail)
    You don't need MA103 to do the second year maths courses, MA200/1, just MA100. PH103 could be made as my outside option, surely?
    Ah right my bad. Indeed you cannot switch to M&E or BMS as you cant do MA103 or AC100. And you need MA103 to do real analysis in the second year.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no. But it doesn't say it is compulsory for BMS, look - http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calen...2008_MA203.htm.

EDIT: It's only compulsory for Maths WITH Economics - http://www2.lse.ac.uk/undergraduateP...mics/G1L1.aspx. I can still switch to Maths AND Economics.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no. But it doesn't say it is compulsory for BMS, look - http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calen...2008_MA203.htm.
    Yeah but BMS first year involves either AC100 or MA103 and as a Philosophy and Econ student you would have done neither- as such I severely doubt you would be able to switch.

Maths and Economics involves MA103 in it's first year so again I don't think you would be allowed to switch from Phil+Econ

ReputationRep:
    But wouldn't I be able to do MA103 in the second year?

ReputationRep:
    But wouldn't I be able to do MA103 in the second year?
    Not for Maths and Econ. You technically could in BMS but it would be under the assumption that you opted for AC100 in your first year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.