Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tanning is just as bad as skin lightening.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    As many of you know tanning in the western world is very popular and in the east skin lightening is just as popular.

But I have noticed that many people attack darker skins more for asking about or using skin lightening products saying they should embrace their natural beauty its seems very contradictory that these are the same people that go to tanning salons and but tanning lotions.
    For example Michael Jackson became the victim of scrutiny for lightening his skin (even though he did have vitiligo) yet in California tanned (fake or real) skin is seen as a form of beauty.
    Either way both procedures of lightening/darkening skin have cancerous risks and is altering a persons natural look.

What are your thoughts on skin lightening and tanning? Is one worse than the other?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    They're both as bad as each other and should be banned IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    As many of you know tanning in the western world is very popular and in the east skin lightening is just as popular.

But I have noticed that many people attack darker skins more for asking about or using skin lightening products saying they should embrace their natural beauty its seems very contradictory that these are the same people that go to tanning salons and but tanning lotions.
    For example Michael Jackson became the victim of scrutiny for lightening his skin (even though he did have vitiligo) yet in California tanned (fake or real) skin is seen as a form of beauty.
    Either way both procedures of lightening/darkening skin have cancerous risks and is altering a persons natural look.

What are your thoughts on skin lightening and tanning? Is one worse than the other?
    That's what he claimed but if he did he would have still had patches of black skin on his body like typical vitiligo patients. He was white all over which therefore arouses suspsicions.

ReputationRep:
    I find it quite hard to stop myself tanning when I'm outside in the sun though :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Tanning happens more naturally so it more accepted :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Wouldn't go as far as banning them. People are free to make their own decisions about their life/health care and if they wish to go ahead with such procedures having been told extensively about the consequences then so be it.

However, the rates of skin cancer haven't dramatically shot up as a result of all this....well not yet any way.

I think binge drinking causes far more problems than use of above mentioned products but a ban on alcohol would never be accepted by society.

ReputationRep:
    :yep: This.

ReputationRep:
    How the hell can you ban going out in the sun?

ReputationRep:
    Ha lightening your skin sounds like such an odd idea, sure I like a tan but I don't have to be tanned. I was rather excited when told today a family friend wants me to be their model for fake tanning However, it's quite nice to look healthy brown for a change. I do lighten my hair though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    Obv going out in the sun does not count because it is natural, just as staying out of the sun lightens the skin.
    What I am talking about is purposely using creams or sunbathing just to get a tan or using creams and pills to lighten the skin
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm referring to the more unnatural stuff :dontknow: a bit of sun is good for you but it's clear sunbeds and the like aren't :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    That's what he claimed but if he did he would have still had patches of black skin on his body like typical vitiligo patients. He was white all over which therefore arouses suspsicions.
    Well I have seen vitiligo when it is generally all over the body, So over years the person changes from brown to white.
    The guy obviously uses makeup to cover the patches, I mean what celeb do you see that goes on stage or out without makeup on?
    There was a thread about vitiligo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    Obv going out in the sun does not count because it is natural, just as staying out of the sun lightens the skin.
    What I am talking about is purposely using creams or sunbathing just to get a tan or using creams and pills to lighten the skin
    But why should it be banned? Why shouldn't people be able to paint themselves green if they want to?

ReputationRep:
    I was inclined to disagree, but the more I think about it, the more I think they're just as bad as each other really.

But why should it be banned? Why shouldn't people be able to paint themselves green if they want to?
    If painting yourself green didn't increase your risk of skin cancer, and you're impartial to premature ageing, then why not if it floats your boat :awesome:

I can't speak for skin lightening products, but I imagine they don't do the body any good either. Speaking from a purely non-medical point of view, however, I agree with OP - though someone else could better articulate

ReputationRep:
    There was a recent news story talking about how dangerous sunbeds are (ranked with smoking and asbestos in terms of threat of cancer). There was some fairly conclusive evidence, and all the people in the sunbed industry who were interviewed just said 'nah, that's not true.' I think it is shocking that kids are allowed to use them, and some are actively encouraged by their parents.

ReputationRep:
    If you wish to doubt doctors that he had vitiligo be my guest, but he was medically diagnosed with it along with lupus in 1986. The vitiligo started on his hand, which is why he used to wear his trademark glove. There are many photos available which show the condition spreading over the years. Both conditions made him sensitive to sunlight which he avoided, and the treatments he used for it further lightened his skin tone which coupled with very pale make up made him appear white.

It's in an autobiography written by J. Randy Taraborrelli, there's been countless documentaries on tv where doctors have testified that he had vitiligo too.

ReputationRep:
    Supposedly the reason he looked white all over was because the brown patches were covered with make up. He used to cover up white patches with brown make up but after the effects of vitilgo became worse, he was more white than black so started covering up the dark patches instead. Of course I don't know this is really the case, but it certainly makes sense, probably more sense than him purposefully turning himself white.

I agree it's not right to outright ban all skin lightening/darkening products, but there is a case for banning specific products if it can be shown they are harmful. For example banning tanning beds would make sense as they are clearly very harmful.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I agree it's not right to outright ban all skin lightening/darkening products, but there is a case for banning specific products if it can be shown they are harmful. For example banning tanning beds would make sense as they are clearly very harmful.
    But lots of things are very harmful, smoking, I would have thought was an obvious example. I don't see why people shouldn't be able to choose wether they want to get cancer and die or not.

ReputationRep:
    People should just accept the way they are naturally and not go out of their way to change it. If you go on holiday for a couple of weeks and tan that is fine but any more effort is vain and excessive and tends to look hideous.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.