Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tanning is just as bad as skin lightening.. watch

ReputationRep:
    The result of tanning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    If you wish to doubt doctors that he had vitiligo be my guest, but he was medically diagnosed with it along with lupus in 1986. The vitiligo started on his hand, which is why he used to wear his trademark glove. There are many photos available which show the condition spreading over the years. Both conditions made him sensitive to sunlight which he avoided, and the treatments he used for it further lightened his skin tone which coupled with very pale make up made him appear white.

It's in an autobiography written by J. Randy Taraborrelli, there's been countless documentaries on tv where doctors have testified that he had vitiligo too.
    LOL please don't lecture me on vitiligo. And let's be fair don't always believe everything you read in the news.

And yes I am aware of photos of vitiligo but there are many medical professional who will argue that Michael Jackson clearly displayed neither the symptoms of vitiligo nor lupus and there have been many well known rumours that he bleached his skin (which isn't particularly difficult).

Also when you have money and access to the finest lawyers, it's absolutely possible to cover up medical conditions when you were someone of Michael Jackson's status.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    LOL please don't lecture me on vitiligo. And let's be fair don't always believe everything you read in the news.

And yes I am aware of photos of vitiligo but there are many medical professional who will argue that Michael Jackson clearly displayed neither the symptoms of vitiligo nor lupus and there have been many well known rumours that he bleached his skin (which isn't particularly difficult).

Also when you have money and access to the finest lawyers, it's absolutely possible to cover up medical conditions when you were someone of Michael Jackson's status.
    So basically your theory amounts to.... zomg conspiracy cover up?

Glad we've now established that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I'm referring to the more unnatural stuff :dontknow: a bit of sun is good for you but it's clear sunbeds and the like aren't :tongue:

The Times reported last week that using a sunbed before the age of 30 increases the risk of getting skin cancer by 75%.
    That's a lot isn't it?!

Almost hard to believe..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    So basically your theory amounts to.... zomg conspiracy cover up?

Glad we've now established that.
    Well not exactly. It's a mixture of elaborate cover up along with using medical knowledge which any respectable dermatologist will tell you that Michael Jackson displayed none of the symptoms of lupus or vitiligo and it's been known for years that Michael Jackson had dabbled in skin bleaching techniques.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be quite happy to see sunbeds and tanning salons being banned. The results are just stupid - at best you look like a leather handbag once you hit 40, and at worst you get cancer.

Fake tan ftw.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4_sophia)
    You would never drink, eat or go out anywhere if you listen to all the reports! Everything seems to give you cancer according to reports... It's just a fact of life, some people get it and some don't... It's horrible and you wouldn't wish it on anyone but you've just got to live life! You never know what's going to happen!
    Nothing gives you cancer, simply increases the risk of you developing the disease. Although there are some things like for example smoking, eating too much red meat, exposure to asbestos etc. which will significantly increase that risk.

But then again you have people who smoke a cuban cigar everyday of their lives and are now aged 90+ and fit as a fiddle.

ReputationRep:

My mum has lupus yet shows no physical symptoms, doesn't mean she doesn't have it.
    So Michael didn't show any symptoms of vitiligo? :rolleyes:
    http://floacist.wordpress.com/2007/0...chael-jackson/

ReputationRep:
    Nothing gives you cancer, simply increases the risk of you developing the disease. Although there are some things like for example smoking, eating too much red meat, exposure to asbestos etc. which will significantly increase that risk.

But then again you have people who smoke a cuban cigar everyday of their lives and are now aged 90+ and fit as a fiddle.
    I agree to an extent, and usually ignore these 'scientific findings'. Theres a brilliant book out there somewhere by the name of You Might As Well Be Dead, which brings together a lot of apparently spurious findings..

Still, I bet there is something that always gives you cancer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    My mum has lupus yet shows no physical symptoms, doesn't mean she doesn't have it.
    So Michael didn't show any symptoms of vitiligo? :rolleyes:
    http://floacist.wordpress.com/2007/0...chael-jackson/
    Right so let me see.

A couple of photos...correction...altered photgraphs (amazing what you can do with paintshop these days) on a random website from a questionable source supposedly approved by an unamed Dermatologist. Very believable.

Now had these been published in a reputable medical journal and supported by legitimate medical professionals, then it might be a little bit more believable.

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge MJ fan and I'm gutted he's gone but we can't be expected to believe everything he told us. I believe his innocence with regards to his trials but the vitiligo and lupus well that's a different story.

If you could however find me articles from reputable medical or scientific journals verifying that MJ did indeed have vitiligo and lupus, I'll believe it. Until then, I stand by what I said.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Its funny, In comparison to my white friend im dark. In comparison to my dark indian friend im fair.

Comparison is the answer m friend

ReputationRep:
    Right so let me see.

A couple of photos...correction...altered photgraphs (amazing what you can do with paintshop these days) on a random website from a questionable source supposedly approved by an unamed Dermatologist. Very believable.

Now had these been published in a reputable medical journal and supported by legitimate medical professionals, then it might be a little bit more believable.

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge MJ fan and I'm gutted he's gone but we can't be expected to believe everything he told us. I believe his innocence with regards to his trials but the vitiligo and lupus well that's a different story.

If you could however find me articles from reputable medical or scientific journals verifying that MJ did indeed have vitiligo and lupus, I'll believe it. Until then, I stand by what I said.
    :laugh:
    You've been an experienced dermatologist for how long now? Wait, are you even an FY1?
    Fair enough though about the medical sources.
    It's really actually got nothing to do with the public anyways.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you could do much more than set an 18/21 age limit on tanning salons and hope that by the time people reach that age they arw mature enough to appreciate the consequences..
    Otherwise you may as well try and ban all harmful practices and that's a slippery slope..

ReputationRep:
    :laugh: sure....
    What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Face facts, if it isn't backed up by a credible scientific/medical source which it hasn't been then unfortunately it's most likely an elaborate lie to cover up the truth.

Being a fan doesn't mean you have to blindly support every little aspect about MJ. It's well known (even by his own admission) that he was unhappy with his physical appearance from his nose to his chin and at a certain time was abhored by the fact he was going to end up looking like his father and when you have all that money at your disposal it's not difficult to turn to plastic/cosmetic surgery as countless numbers of celebrities and those who can afford it have done over the years.

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:
    You've been an experienced dermatologist for how long now? Wait, are you even an FY1?
    Fair enough though about the medical sources.
    No interest in becoming a dermatologist but obviously have to learn about it and not an FY1 yet but I know enough to draw my own conclusion and that to back up any medical claim needs strong evidence and as I recall no medical publication has ever verified Michael Jackson's claims of him having vitiligo or lupus and had it been true I'm sure many of the top medical journals (especially in the States) would have been quick to point this out.

I think I've interpreted what you tried to say about the public comment in that it's none of our business (us being the public) which I totally agree. Bleached or unbleached it was his body to do with what he wished and none of us have/had the right to judge him or anybody that undergoes any sort of plastic or cosmetic surgery.

I thought you were criticising my adoration for Michael Jackson as being publicly influenced, which is totally far from the truth.

Anyways back to the ORIGINAL TOPIC!

Tanning in principle is just as bad as skin lightening in that everyone should be proud of their skin colour but in this image conscious day and age everybody is obsessed with how they look and hence in the West it has become socially acceptable to tan yourself whilst in the East, skin lightening is acceptable. People have the right to choose what they want for themselves as long as they are fully aware of the consequences and it's legal for them to pursue such procedure.

What I think is stupid is how in the West people are very quick to criticise Asian cultures for their reverence of skin lightening yet those same critics happily accept tanning as part of their culture. Pot calling the Kettle black I reckon (no pun intended).

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Face facts, if it isn't backed up by a credible scientific/medical source which it hasn't been then unfortunately it's most likely an elaborate lie to cover up the truth.

Being a fan doesn't mean you have to blindly support every little aspect about MJ. It's well known (even by his own admission) that he was unhappy with his physical appearance from his nose to his chin and at a certain time was abhored by the fact he was going to end up looking like his father and when you have all that money at your disposal it's not difficult to turn to plastic/cosmetic surgery as countless numbers of celebrities and those who can afford it have done over the years.
    Woah, calm down. If you read my edit, I said fair enough about the medical source thing - I agree. And it's supposed to mean that Michael Jackson's medical conditions are to do with him and his fam, he doesn't need to prove anything.

ReputationRep:
    Warrior King, I wasn't saying that at all!

ReputationRep:
    Woah, calm down. If you read my edit, I said fair enough about the medical source thing - I agree. And it's supposed to mean that Michael Jackson's medical conditions are to do with him and his fam, he doesn't need to prove anything.
    Yes I know that's what I said!

And at the end of the day what celeb is going to gladly announce to the media that he/she bleached their skin because they were unhappy with their natural skin colour? Citing a medical condition at least kept the media scrum slightly (ever so slightly) at bay.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.