Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Students rely on parents for cash' Watch

ReputationRep:
    There were personal issues in the way (We don't get on) and she didn't want universities knowing her details, which I think was just another excuse.. =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkostar)
    True, but the assessment criteria seems to miss out a consideration of family size alongside parental income.

I mean if you come from a large family where the majority of your siblings are under 18 and thus dependent on parents, It seems like maybe they should enable you to get more of a loan, because the same income that they claim means you DON'T need help, might actually be supporting your siblings meaning you don't get anything in the way of support.
    If your family has dependants under the age of 18 then your parents receive child-tax-credits for each of them.

I personally cannot understand the whine; I assume it comes from first years, or people who are not even at university yet. The non-income assessed student loan is enough to pay for accommodation, and if there is a shortfall then you should take out an overdraft to meet this and your living costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dangerboi2410)
    I'm in the "little or no help" category. one parent (they're divorced) is giving me whatever they save in a small jar to last me for the year and other parent is unemployed.

Also getting minimum student loan, cause my step-mum refused to give details and cause it's household income, I have to have her details and accommodation is costing me £4200 and I have £400 to my name. =/

It's all rather annoying in the end. I'm hoping to be able to get some kind of transfer as far as work is concerned (There's a store for the place I work now, in the town I'll hopefully be going to Uni in).
    That's weird why won't she give details? You should be able to gety more help when you get there in other grants and stuff based on just your income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anniecatz)
    That's weird why won't she give details? You should be able to gety more help when you get there in other grants and stuff based on just your income.

We don't get on... lets just go with that. Lol

And I called up Student Finance and explained and said they need everyone or nothing. They wouldn't do anything with my income and my Unis don't offer any thing either for my income, only household income grants. =[

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, not that i'm jealous of parents giving money to their children at university or paying their expenses such as rent or tuition, etc.

What most frustrates me is the number of students out there taking advantage and spending their night away in countless drinking fest, getting the latest gadgets, fashionable clothing, going on a travel or spending money on girls and whats even more funny, those who party too much and failed their year with resits is just ridiculous. What have they been spending their time???

I understand many people don't take their 1st year lightly but those who underestimated 1st year will just result a goodbye half of your summer holiday's. Anyhow, just be very thankful if you receive money from parents and return them a favour at least!

ReputationRep:
    £7,458 - Maintenance loan
    £5,631 - Accom. costs

£1827 left, over 38 weeks = £48/week. In London.

That's if my parents don't support me. Are you saying I'm supposed to live off that?
    The whole point of people not receiving the grant is because their parents can afford to contribute towards their living costs, which mine can and are going to.

I'm not being 'mollycoddled', I'm just not going to starve to death or spend 16 hours a week working just so that I can afford to live.

It's not fair in the slightest that people are going on about people's parents contributing towards their living costs - for those of us who don't receive any grant at all, it's the only way we can afford to go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    We don't get on... lets just go with that. Lol

And I called up Student Finance and explained and said they need everyone or nothing. They wouldn't do anything with my income and my Unis don't offer any thing either for my income, only household income grants. =[
    I'm sorry love! You'll get by, I managed first time round with minimum loan and a job. it's more fun that way and at least you feel like you earnt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anniecatz)
    I'm sorry love! You'll get by, I managed first time round with minimum loan and a job. it's more fun that way and at least you feel like you earnt it.

Thanks. I know my mum is going to try and give me £100/month, operative word being try. Lol

Work said they'd be able to give me an easy transfer to the store in my firm's town if there's a vacancy. So fingers crossed. =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalie*)
    I think my parents gave my brother money during his year at uni, but I think he's dropping out to get a job now, becuase he doesn't have enough money, and my parents don't have enough to keep giving to him.

I think it should be: Students rely on rich parents for cash
    It should also be stated that parent(s) who give a damn would help. Lol

ReputationRep:
    Student loan plus partial grant= £4120
    Accommodation=£3420
    £700 left over=approx £18 per week. Lol.

I'm recieving no money from my parents and I don't expect to either. I'm not saying that parents shouldn't help but I think many do waaay more than they need to. University is about being independent in all aspects of the word. Saying that, I know if my parents had the money they'd be helping me too. I'm planning on keeping on my job at the weekends so I have money for the next week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSophist)
    £0 for me
    Snap

Btw, love your sig, made me lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkostar)
    ha, maybe they should visit my household and be pleasantly surprised when I'm the one giving my parents the money.
    i know the feeling my friend. I will be helping my mum and dad out with my loans.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as my maintenance loan is the basic minimum and my accom (selfcatered) would be more than that while doing a degree that will realistically mean no working in term time I simply would not be able to do it without some parental assistance anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    If your family has dependants under the age of 18 then your parents receive child-tax-credits for each of them.

I personally cannot understand the whine; I assume it comes from first years, or people who are not even at university yet. The non-income assessed student loan is enough to pay for accommodation, and if there is a shortfall then you should take out an overdraft to meet this and your living costs.
    al my bursery and loan together (income and non income assested) wouldnt cover my rent costs..even with an overdraft i would of struggled alot! You deffo have to rely on parents alot, i dont live away and i still do becasue after ive paid for things at college and transport im straped for cash by the end of the month

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to struggle too :/! I've taken out the maintenance loan (I'm on the basic loan because of my parents' income) yet they have little money left available for me, they've said £50 a month to go towards food costs...
    Luckily accommodation costs in Sheffield are pretty low, but I am going to be living off around £2000 for the first year at least. So probably looking at £40-50 a week which I think will be incredibly difficult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luckycharm7)
    I'm going to struggle too :/! I've taken out the maintenance loan (I'm on the basic loan because of my parents' income) yet they have little money left available for me, they've said £50 a month to go towards food costs...
    Luckily accommodation costs in Sheffield are pretty low, but I am going to be living off around £2000 for the first year at least. So probably looking at £40-50 a week which I think will be incredibly difficult

You're better off than me. If I don't have a 12 hour/week job (at around £5.75/hour) I wont even have spending money. =/ Even if I get the job, I'd only have about £20/week.

Worked this out with Theoretical job + Maintenance loan (Min.) - Accom. - Food (£30/week) - TV licence.

Obviously I've then got stationary and nights out and whatever to account for... *sigh*

Does anyone else know if I should include anything else in my calculations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *CottonCandy*)
    al my bursery and loan together (income and non income assested) wouldnt cover my rent costs..even with an overdraft i would of struggled alot! You deffo have to rely on parents alot, i dont live away and i still do becasue after ive paid for things at college and transport im straped for cash by the end of the month
    Your rent is far too expensive then; look for cheaper options. If you are living at home and still struggling then you are giving your mum far too much; ask exactly how much she recieved in child tax credits - she is not losing any other money since you are considered a student for council tax purposes. And just incase you under some silly impression: you are not entitled to drive a car - your student loan is not meant for that.

ReputationRep:
    Because of SFE being behind on sorting out loans and stuff, my parents have said they've help me out. Well, it won't be loads, but £10 here and there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Your rent is far too expensive then; look for cheaper options. If you are living at home and still struggling then you are giving your mum far too much; ask exactly how much she recieved in child tax credits - she is not losing any other money since you are considered a student for council tax purposes. And just incase you under some silly impression: you are not entitled to drive a car - your student loan is not meant for that.
    I was going to edinburgh, they dont have their own halls at the college i could study my course at so £120 was the cheapest room i could get in another halls, my friends that are in college, not uni, are paying this too and struggling as theres not another alternative unless u have people to share flats with, which i wud of done in my 3rd year.

I know student loan isnt for a car, but when you live in the country, and the college times arent around bus times you gotta drive, im going to do my theory again soon then book my practical. I dont even know how im getting home and becos my bursery wont cover even the cheapest one bed flat i could get then i cant live down. Its rubbish.

My parents dont charge me any rent whilst im still in college cos they kno i dont have much money, my mum doesnt get any money for me? she was told shes not entiteld to it now im in HNC.

ReputationRep:
    You're better off than me. If I don't have a 12 hour/week job (at around £5.75/hour) I wont even have spending money. =/ Even if I get the job, I'd only have about £20/week.

Worked this out with Theoretical job + Maintenance loan (Min.) - Accom. - Food (£30/week) - TV licence.

Obviously I've then got stationary and nights out and whatever to account for... *sigh*

Does anyone else know if I should include anything else in my calculations?
    Sounds like youve accounted everything in your calculations..hmm..what about clothing and travel? Does your uni pay for travel home at term time? And im sure throughout the year you might want some new clothes and shoes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.