Turn on thread page Beta

Girls:Experiences of being chatted up on the street... watch

ReputationRep:
    well, had quite a fewbad exsperiences with being chated up on the streets ...
    inculding guys follwing me nd stuff. worst was probabl those weird 50year old guys who sk me to come to their friends bachelor party. they were like grabing my arm nd **** nd when i walked away they spanke my ass. fu stuff^^

but yeah, once a cute guy just chatted me up while i was waiting for my fried who was lke an hour late... he was just like "yeah, usually dont do that, but u stand around hrefr like 10 minutes nd seem pretty bored" ... we ended upgettn coffee and i still meet him once in a while

ReputationRep:
    I have just returned from Morocco - if you only visit one place to boost your ego and get chatted up by every other man on the street this year (although it does get tired really fast:rolleyes:) visit this one.

By far my favourite chat up on the street however was a guy in Singapore who after trying and failing to sell my dad a suit came out with... "but... you have such a beautiful daughter!" What a sweetie.

My experience in the UK with chat-up lines just seems to be extremely drunken or extremely embarrassing. My worst was sitting with a group of friends at a rather nice restaurant when a guy came over and asked if we'd all flash him for a tenner. A tenner for goodness sake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamooshka)
    I agree it was nasty, and I very rarely get approached in such a way, but he just came across as incredibly rude, sitting on my work, his friends on the next table smirking and laughing, - and I'd just seen him do exactly the same to another girl, it was obviously some form of game, so I don't like to be made a fool.
    When you put it like that it's an entirely different story!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachael-69)
    That really made me laugh. Although i do have to say i do not think thier is a typical type builder yes a few are ****holes but i been working on a construction site and all the builders just make me laugh
    all day and there sweet try to give me advice on my problems. maybe just the diff areas we live in but just thought id deffend the decent builders out there.:o:
    In fairness, I did say stereotyipcal.

Totally agree; the majority of builders who seem to be resented for whistling and "cat-calling" are actually just having a laugh. In fact, any girl who plays along to that sort of thing and has a bit of banter usually goes up in my estimation...

ReputationRep:
    My best one was just in Ireland, it was raining and I had no umberella, I was stuck in the street getting soaked, when a very handsome stranger walked up with an umberella in tow, took my arm, gave me his jacket and took me out for coffee, and he was very gentlemanly indeed, and very very good looking. He was tall, well dressed, clean shaven, pale with tousled aurburn hair and pretty green eyes. It was possibly the best coffee I've ever had out in ages!!
    The worst one was when I was out shopping and some horrible guy just came up to me and started to grope me and try and drag me off somewhere whilst saying disgusting things... gah...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    depends, if in a shop,
    you could start by asking something about advice for what to buy for a friend etc, then you could tease her (poke her for fun to build kino) about her advice etc then fluff talk, then if you've built enough comfort go in for the number, about 10-15 mins of conversation should suffice
    and don't give out any compliments freely, it comes of as desperate
    and if the girl isn't interested, leave and say thanks for talking and leave and get over it
    Sounds like that could work lol.. Does it?

ReputationRep:
    Erm I don't think I've ever been chatted up on the street, apart from 'Hey honey, you have lovely eyes, will you donate to the RSPCA?'

ReputationRep:
    I tried talking to a girl today. There was this row of big pillars outside a building, and I was leaning on one, and she was leaning on another about 4 down the line. After quite a while, I went over and said "Hello... we've both been leaning on these pillars for quite a while, so I thought I'd come and see how this one was..."

Or something like that. She replied in a fun kind of way and we just talked for a few mins, about whatever, then her boyfriend came to meet her and they went off

Oh and yesterday I talked to a busker girl and she accepted my invitation to come with me to this cafe I work at, but then she knew a woman working there and they just went outside and talked for ages, leaving me alone, then she left right away after that, haha.

And todayyyyyyy also I said hello to a girl who was looking at me in this shop kind of place, and she was very chatty. That was a bit surreal, though - her friend was off her face completely. They were nice girls, kind of. I might hear from them again.

Talking to girls is fun!!! It's so exciting.
    I shall do it more...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellisntitfor)
    I tried talking to a girl today. There was this row of big pillars outside a building, and I was leaning on one, and she was leaning on another about 4 down the line. After quite a while, I went over and said "Hello... we've both been leaning on these pillars for quite a while, so I thought I'd come and see how this one was..."

Or something like that. She replied in a fun kind of way and we just talked for a few mins, about whatever, then her boyfriend came to meet her and they went off

Oh and yesterday I talked to a busker girl and she accepted my invitation to come with me to this cafe I work at, but then she knew a woman working there and they just went outside and talked for ages, leaving me alone, then she left right away after that, haha.

And todayyyyyyy also I said hello to a girl who was looking at me in this shop kind of place, and she was very chatty. That was a bit surreal, though - her friend was off her face completely. They were nice girls, kind of. I might hear from them again.

Talking to girls is fun!!! It's so exciting.
    I shall do it more...
    seems like good experience. are you doing this to get rid of approach anxiety?

ReputationRep:
    seems like good experience. are you doing this to get rid of approach anxiety?
    Pretty much. I'm only talking to people I think would talk back, you know - but I'm in my 20's already and my social policy has always been one of isolation and ignoring.

One girl got through that, a few years ago, and we had a most delightful time together.

But I think I need to be more open, generally. I'm not expecting anything to come of it, but I do find it fun talking to girls now. It turns everything into an adventure!

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much. I'm only talking to people I think would talk back, you know - but I'm in my 20's already and my social policy has always been one of isolation and ignoring.

One girl got through that, a few years ago, and we had a most delightful time together.

But I think I need to be more open, generally. I'm not expecting anything to come of it, but I do find it fun talking to girls now. It turns everything into an adventure!
    how long have you been doing this activity for?

ReputationRep:
    how long have you been doing this activity for?
    erm, a few days I suppose? Or a few weeks. I can't remember but at some point it just suddenly seemed most acceptable to talk to people, so I thought I might as well have a go.
    I think I've approached four girls now, kind of - plus others where the ice was broken already. None will persist in being friends with me, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    I've never been chatted up on the street. :nopity:

Not that i'd want to be :|
    :ditto:
    :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    I got chatted up in Woolworths once We were both in the DVD section on our own and he started asking about what DVD I was looking for, then complimented me and asked for my number. I wasn't really interested so I said no and he was fine about it, but it was really flattering and I definitely wasn't offended or anything.

ReputationRep:
    No good experience. Worst was at night and this group of drunk men who were probably in their 30s but looked like they were in their 40s turned up at the train station. One took a 'shine' to me and tried to strike up a conversation in a leery horrible manner. Then he proceeded to stare at me all the way back on the train whilst I desperately tried not to make eye contact. It was horrible.

ReputationRep:
    erm, a few days I suppose? Or a few weeks. I can't remember but at some point it just suddenly seemed most acceptable to talk to people, so I thought I might as well have a go.
    I think I've approached four girls now, kind of - plus others where the ice was broken already. None will persist in being friends with me, I think.
    oh right give it a couple more weeks, you might approach more people and get your first number, then you'll get used to it, then after a while you'll be onto bigger and better things...

ReputationRep:
    oh right give it a couple more weeks, you might approach more people and get your first number, then you'll get used to it, then after a while you'll be onto bigger and better things...
    What do you mean? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    the worst was when i was leaving the library, and some guy up the stairs called out to me. i couldn't see who it was so figured it was someone i knew, so i waited. it wasn't.

him: hi. do you go to suffolk college?
    me: no
    him: are you sure?
    me: i don't go there.
    him: i swear i've seen you there though.
    me: maybe someone looks like me.
    him: maybe... so, what are you up to?
    me: i'm going to catch a bus, i've got a headache.
    him: can i have your number?

like, it wasn't the most creepy ever, just really, really lame. and obv didn't give him my number. not as bad a lot of the stories here though.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? :confused:
    like erm as you get better at talking to girls on the street and public places, you can get instant dates at coffee places, maybe casual/ serious relationships, that type of stuff...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigrrmilk)
    the worst was when i was leaving the library, and some guy up the stairs called out to me. i couldn't see who it was so figured it was someone i knew, so i waited. it wasn't.

him: hi. do you go to suffolk college?
    me: no
    him: are you sure?

me: i don't go there.
    him: i swear i've seen you there though.
    me: maybe someone looks like me.
    him: maybe... so, what are you up to?
    me: i'm going to catch a bus, i've got a headache.
    him: can i have your number?

like, it wasn't the most creepy ever, just really, really lame. and obv didn't give him my number. not as bad a lot of the stories here though.
    LOL I think you'd know what college you go to. They'll never learn :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.