Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls:Experiences of being chatted up on the street... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tastes.like.lemonade)
    Ive done it once, **** myself inside lol.

I said hello can i speak to you for a second and she said ok, i kept a cheerfull smile on so she wouldnt thing i was gonna mug her or something (im big) then said, i dont usually do this but i saw you across the road with your friends and thought you were cute, and wondered whether you'd like to get to know eachother over some coffee sometime, then i said londons mahooosive i doubt i would see you again if i didnt speak to you and then laughed, then she laughed and i did some small talk and done, exchanged numbers.

Unlucky for me she had the worst personality ever.

Also what i said i learnt of some pickup artist guy on youtube it works! except he kisses the girl in like 5 mins, which you cant do in the uk otherwise your a rapist lol.
    i heard this one . the trick is don't say she looks cute, just say she is cute.
    gives them butterflies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treben)
    Ok, so you are going to meet the same girls on the street that go to nightclubs, but you aren't in the same "that girl has such a short dress, I have to go chat her up" mindset.

In daily life you're going to meet the cute girls that don't go out, or don't go to clubs as well, often slightly more introverted and a different kind of girl entirely.

Furthermore, girls do not expect to be chatted up on the street; and so from a male point of view, it can actually be easier because you can carry out a proper conversation and see someone for who they really are on a daily basis, rather than in a nightclub where what someone is truly like can become very very blurred due to the high sexual energy in the nightclub.

I couldn't quite put it into words in my last post, I think I succeeded this time. :yes:

I'd probably prefer to be approached by a nice guy on the street than in a club as everyone is usually just after a pull like you say. From a girl's point of view though, if we wear a short skirt in the street like on a hot day alot of guys give us attention because we are showing legs so its always more special if I get chatted up when wearing a heavy coat or something because then I know the guys likes me and not just the fact I have a short skirt on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honey_89)
    I'd probably prefer to be approached by a nice guy on the street than in a club as everyone is usually just after a pull like you say. From a girl's point of view though, if we wear a short skirt in the street like on a hot day alot of guys give us attention because we are showing legs so its always more special if I get chatted up when wearing a heavy coat or something because then I know the guys likes me and not just the fact I have a short skirt on
    This is a pretty good benchmark you have with the winter coat idea, although I do think sometime guys almost get "blamed" for thinking a girl is good looking, when physical attraction plays at least some part in the first place - why else would the guy have approached you in the first place?

I think of clubs as zero risk zones, it's dark and if you screw up a chat up attempt all you have to do is walk away, nobody notices because it's loud and there's a lot of alcohol flowing. In the day time it's much different, there's nowhere to run and many guys even think everyone is staring at them when they chat a girl up - what if they fail?

The thing I kind of want to say in this thread is that girls are sometimes maybe a bit harsh to guys. Girls never chase the guys, and it's up to them to get the courage and ability to attract a woman.

I don't know if you agree with this, but I have to say that things seem to go a lot smoother in a daytime public place provided you have to confidence to go and do things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    I got chatted up in a Phones4U shop. I only asked for a £10 credit voucher and he kept me there talking for half an hour, asking where I was from, if I was having a nice day blah blah...
    His excuse was that the till machine wasn't working, but when he eventually moved to another, the screen wasn't even on :rolleyes:
    Then shortly after that some chav tried it on in McDonalds :laugh:
    I was on a roll that day!!
    Lol, I work at Mc Donalds now. Heard it happens a lot at the Drive Thur! Only people are asking the crew member for a date lol... desperate or what?

ReputationRep:
    I got a creepy smile in the Purple Turtle... and he was staring!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    no its not too much looks. most people are at least average looking,
    if your dressed well, dont sound too needy or creepy and know when to eject, you'll be more succesful than not
    its not much about looks, unless you're butt ugly or your like a 10/10
    Sounds faintly like the words of an ugly guy... lol

(Original post by emmie19)
    Lol, I work at Mc Donalds now. Heard it happens a lot at the Drive Thur! Only people are asking the crew member for a date lol... desperate or what?
    haha, what like "McNuggets with a side order of your number?" tragic :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Sounds faintly like the words of an ugly guy... lol

haha, what like "McNuggets with a side order of your number?" tragic :rofl:
    or a black guy who knows what hes doing...
    if your at least ok looking and come across well and non-needy, you'll come across well?
    i didnt say an ogre can get a hot girls number did i?:p:
    why the insults, i dont know you neither did i insult you. whatever puts you to sleep at night :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    or a black guy who knows what hes doing...
    if your at least ok looking and come across well and non-needy, you'll come across well?
    i didnt say an ogre can get a hot girls number did i?:p:
    why the insults, i dont know you neither did i insult you. whatever puts you to sleep at night :rolleyes:
    I didnt really insult you.
    And anyway, you did insult me a couple of days back.
    Whateverr. What do you mean by ogre?

ReputationRep:
    this time a guy said i should do modelling in bangalore, and then stole my rainbow icecream!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    I didnt really insult you.
    And anyway, you did insult me a couple of days back.
    Whateverr. What do you mean by ogre?
    ogre as in complete ugly guy
    oh yeah i remember you now.
    you were the one fishing for compliments.
    you look like a normal girl to me, nothing wrong with you or maybe you have bad breath? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so you are going to meet the same girls on the street that go to nightclubs, but you aren't in the same "that girl has such a short dress, I have to go chat her up" mindset.

In daily life you're going to meet the cute girls that don't go out, or don't go to clubs as well, often slightly more introverted and a different kind of girl entirely.

Furthermore, girls do not expect to be chatted up on the street; and so from a male point of view, it can actually be easier because you can carry out a proper conversation and see someone for who they really are on a daily basis, rather than in a nightclub where what someone is truly like can become very very blurred due to the high sexual energy in the nightclub.

I couldn't quite put it into words in my last post, I think I succeeded this time. :yes:
    Two hours ago I'd agree with you, but I've seen several girls class things as asking where London is and for directions as 'chatting up'. Considering less than 1% of the pop. are PUAs that must mean (going by TSR) girls think a guy asking them a genuine question is chatting them up. Women are more stupid than I thought.

ReputationRep:
    you live in london
    with black guys in cars sayin "wagwan babes"
    and chavs sayin "check out da burberry"
    im black but i know what works need to put it into practice more
    lool yea that's about right. sometimes people are quite sweet though. what du think works?

ReputationRep:
    Guys in transit vans - usually white fords are experts at chatting girls up. Road maintenace guys and the occasional truck drivers are quite good too. Its all "look at the pins / tits on that" which is classic really .

ReputationRep:
    Basically, any story sounds disgusting if the admirer is ugly.

Otherwise it's "oh it was so romantic blah blah blah" really, truly, thats what it comes down to.
    let's be honest now.

ReputationRep:
    I was sat with a group of friends in Mcdonalds (Classy I know ) and this football team came in.
    One of the lads came over to me with a magazine and asked what were the best chat up lines for girls were. Once I told him that they were all pretty bad... he tried them on me anyway! Cheeky Boy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatnikkidid)
    Worst experience I had was the other night, walking home from a club with a couple of friends and there was a group of really lairy, obviously wasted guys accross the street and one of them yelled 'I wanna suck your c**t' At us. Not really sure what he was expecting me to say, 'Ooh, do you? Fab, I'll just whip my knickers off then shall I and you can get going'. I don't think so. So vile, he actually made me feel sick.
    I actually LOLed at that. How romantic hahah

What a *******

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinker_bell4)
    I had the weirdest experience when I was out walking my dog once.

This guy on a bicycle suddenly appeared beside me from nowhere. At first I thought he was just passing as I had my earphones in and music on high volume. It wasn't till I saw him looking right at me that I realised he was talking to me.

This is a jist of how the convo went:

Him: what are you up to?
    Me: I'm taking my dog for a walk
    Him: Do you have a boyfriend?
    Me: Not at the moment
    Him: Do you want one?
    Me: Hmm, I'm not sure. Depends who it is really
    Him: What do you think of me?
    Me: I don't know you
    Him: Would you go out with me?
    Me: Probably not
    Him: Do you fancy a shag?
    Me: No thanks

Then he just rode off really fast into the distance.
    Classic Lance.

ReputationRep:
    I've only chatted to one girl properly, and it was dead easy because she fancied the **** out of me already, so she was incredibly talkative. I just put myself there and started talking and she was like omgomgomgomg

actually the other day I met a lovely young lady working a shop, and unless she was so chatty and eye-contact-ish with all her customers, I reckon I'd be in with a chance. I shall visit again some time soon and see if I can talk a bit longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilage_idoit)
    girls think a guy asking them a genuine question is chatting them up. Women are more stupid than I thought.
    Yes this is kind of what I was getting at, I wouldn't necessarily say stupid, but perhaps overly modest that they think a man is chatting them up when he's just asking an information based question.

It doesn't entirely seem fair.

ReputationRep:
    Yes this is kind of what I was getting at, I wouldn't necessarily say stupid, but perhaps overly modest that they think a man is chatting them up when he's just asking an information based question.

It doesn't entirely seem fair.

I tend to be the opposite. I assume they are only talking to me for a genuine non-chat up based reason.

Examples:
    I was standing in Trafalgar Square watching the Fourth Plinth. A man approaches me and asks me what is going on - I explain briefly the history of the Fourth Plinth and the current work being shown there. We talk a little about art... but then he starts to make his intentions obvious, I'm surprised and start to feel awkward. I would rather have just had a normal conversation...
    I was standing looking at a tube map, an older man (grey hair, thick glasses, slightly shuffly movement) approaches me and asks if I'm lost. I tell him I'm looking for Hammersmith station on the map and he points it out. I say thanks and assume he was just being helpful... but then he starts with 'Beautiful girl, will you please have some coffee with me? Please? I noticed you an hour ago, I've been watching you'. Why do older men even try?! Surely no 16-18 looking girl would ever say yes to someone who looks between 50-70? It's just not right.
    Also, being stalkerish is scary... Although, maybe if he was my own age it could have been cute to say he noticed me an hour ago.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.