Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls:Experiences of being chatted up on the street... Watch

ReputationRep:
    erm, best experience was on a school geography trip, I knew the guy and really fancied him so that was nice.

Worst experience I've had a couple, one guy was being such a perv and said stuff like "your making me hard" he was just gross. Another guy once started recording me on his phone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbits)
    I tend to be the opposite. I assume they are only talking to me for a genuine non-chat up based reason.

Examples:
    I was standing in Trafalgar Square watching the Fourth Plinth. A man approaches me and asks me what is going on - I explain briefly the history of the Fourth Plinth and the current work being shown there. We talk a little about art... but then he starts to make his intentions obvious, I'm surprised and start to feel awkward. I would rather have just had a normal conversation...
    I was standing looking at a tube map, an older man (grey hair, thick glasses, slightly shuffly movement) approaches me and asks if I'm lost. I tell him I'm looking for Hammersmith station on the map and he points it out. I say thanks and assume he was just being helpful... but then he starts with 'Beautiful girl, will you please have some coffee with me? Please? I noticed you an hour ago, I've been watching you'. Why do older men even try?! Surely no 16-18 looking girl would ever say yes to someone who looks between 50-70? It's just not right.
    Also, being stalkerish is scary... Although, maybe if he was my own age it could have been cute to say he noticed me an hour ago.
    Yes I think this is really odd, and after reading this thread I had no idea of the frequency of girls being approached by older men; although I live in little Northern Ireland where I'm pretty sure demographics don't count (it's a weird place, let's face it).

You said it would be maybe cute if a guy your own age said he'd noticed you and thought you were attractive. To be honest I would never do this because it would be a terrifying prospect and in my mind would never work - but since you said this, it actually has a positive effect?

I say this in the sense that I would be terrified to go up to a girl and straight away say "I'm interested in you." but I can and do easily approach girls, carry out great conversations, and maybe leave with a number (or even with them).

So basically my question is; does being blatantly honest to a girl actually return a positive result?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treben)
    Yes I think this is really odd, and after reading this thread I had no idea of the frequency of girls being approached by older men; although I live in little Northern Ireland where I'm pretty sure demographics don't count (it's a weird place, let's face it).

You said it would be maybe cute if a guy your own age said he'd noticed you and thought you were attractive. To be honest I would never do this because it would be a terrifying prospect and in my mind would never work - but since you said this, it actually has a positive effect?

I say this in the sense that I would be terrified to go up to a girl and straight away say "I'm interested in you." but I can and do easily approach girls, carry out great conversations, and maybe leave with a number (or even with them).

So basically my question is; does being blatantly honest to a girl actually return a positive result?
    Called a direct approach.

It's bloody hard to pull off. Sometimes it works. you gotta be really quick and slick though. And the moment those words are out your mouth, the difficulty of her being receptive to giving her number or even just being talkative got a **** load harder.

That's why I recommend indirect approaches. Because in this day an age going up to a girl and saying you like her will get you shut down 9/10 even if you do do it in a decent manor.

ReputationRep:
    One guy caught my hand as I walked past him and he kissed me on the cheek, smiled, and walked on. I was a bit concerned that this was a man in a suit, who looked around 30 years old, who I'd never seen before in my life. Hmm! But technically he didn't chat me up There was one lad in the library, who came over to me, sat on the table, leaned over me as I was trying to read my book, and he came out with "Do you come here often?", leering smile. I just closed my book and walked away.

Oh blimey, I remember being "chatted up" by this street performer in France - he was dressed as a silver Blues Brother and was posing as one of those human statues y'know? I walked past him and his head turned to face me, he took his sunglasses off and made the international signal of "call me". Then when he went for his break he walked up to me and started chatting to me in French...I was actually quite scared. Thank gawd I'm English and had the excuse of being ignorant and not understanding a word of the language :P

ReputationRep:
    Being chatted up, however dismal the attempt, massages a girl's ego anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamooshka)
    One guy caught my hand as I walked past him and he kissed me on the cheek, smiled, and walked on. I was a bit concerned that this was a man in a suit, who looked around 30 years old, who I'd never seen before in my life. Hmm! But technically he didn't chat me up There was one lad in the library, who came over to me, sat on the table, leaned over me as I was trying to read my book, and he came out with "Do you come here often?", leering smile. I just closed my book and walked away.
    That chat up line is so cliche. He was probably joking I'm afraid. Well you can hope he was joking anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyothername)

worst experiences include being side stepped by pushy guys in the street, 'i'd **** your brains out' and comments like that. lol..
    that even makes me cringe! :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MNaomi)
    lool yea that's about right. sometimes people are quite sweet though. what du think works?
    depends, if in a shop,
    you could start by asking something about advice for what to buy for a friend etc, then you could tease her (poke her for fun to build kino) about her advice etc then fluff talk, then if you've built enough comfort go in for the number, about 10-15 mins of conversation should suffice
    and don't give out any compliments freely, it comes of as desperate
    and if the girl isn't interested, leave and say thanks for talking and leave and get over it

ReputationRep:
    While I was at the post office a couple years ago some dude in the queue started talking to me. It was SO BORING. Like he asked me where I was going to college and what I was doing and then he started *********** on about what he was doing (nothing of interest). He asked how old I was (16) and he was 26 (!!!!!!) and then he asked for my number and I said I couldn't remember what it was so he gave me his (YAWN) and I left and went the hell home.

I realised that sounds kinda mean really as he was trying but at least I didn't like tell him to **** off, lol.

Grrrrr. Oh and once some dude said "girl you are well fit" while walking past me on the way home at night, I thought he was going to rape me tbh. And one other time some dude went "oy girl wot is your numbaaa" at me down the street while I was out shopping (and shouted me again when I ignored him).

Bunch of ********s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    Called a direct approach.

It's bloody hard to pull off. Sometimes it works. you gotta be really quick and slick though. And the moment those words are out your mouth, the difficulty of her being receptive to giving her number or even just being talkative got a **** load harder.

That's why I recommend indirect approaches. Because in this day an age going up to a girl and saying you like her will get you shut down 9/10 even if you do do it in a decent manor.
    If you've already got her back to a decent manor and it's your manor I'd say you're in there. :awesome:

Sorry, had to do it :o:

i was coming home late on the bus with a friend after revising in the library. the bus was really crowded. i put my folder down where the luggage shelf was, but at an angle so there was a space between my folder and the shelf. i was just talking to my friend about revision/gossip etc, and this guy keep looking at me.

he was quite hot, rugby built, tall, dark hair. he smiled at me. then the stop before he got off, he saw i was looking at him, and put something in the space between my folder and the shelf. after he got off, i picked up my folder and there was a piece of paper with a phone number on it. i considered calling it, but then concluded it was too weird.

ReputationRep:

Oh blimey, I remember being "chatted up" by this street performer in France - he was dressed as a silver Blues Brother and was posing as one of those human statues y'know? I walked past him and his head turned to face me, he took his sunglasses off and made the international signal of "call me". Then when he went for his break he walked up to me and started chatting to me in French...I was actually quite scared. Thank gawd I'm English and had the excuse of being ignorant and not understanding a word of the language :P
    You have a high opinion of yourself. How exactly is that being chatted up? Maybe he was nervous about speaking to you, but decided to try and improve his self esteem by talking to strangers. A lot of self help books advise that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just friends with a few fitt girls. They always get lots of wolf-whistles and stuff when I'm out with them. I often ask them if it gets annoying having a lot of attention about your looks from strangers, they say yes. It seems to me that if I wanted to impress a girl I wouldnt tell her how great she looked or anything because

i) by going up to her in the first it shows you think she looks good
    ii) every other guy has already told her she looks ot (wolf-whistling "hey baby" etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilage_idoit)
    You have a high opinion of yourself. How exactly is that being chatted up? Maybe he was nervous about speaking to you, but decided to try and improve his self esteem by talking to strangers. A lot of self help books advise that.
    Hey you're probably right. But he certainly didn't come across as shy.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose this counts as "on the street" - on a couple of occasions when I've been out driving, guys have been tried to chat me up while being parked in the next lane at a red light. This is especially amusing for me, since no actual words take place in the conversation. One guy started to blow kisses at me through the window and then made a "phone" gesture with his hand... I pointed at my wedding ring and I think he got the message :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starsdream2)
    Are you like TSR's resident love guru? :p:
    He does have good advice though.

ReputationRep:
    Hey you're probably right. But he certainly didn't come across as shy.
    Maybe not, you know best, I think it was a pretty nasty thing to do that. I'd be put off approaching if I had that experience. Remember it's guys who have to do the work next time and yuo should appreciate a guy who has balls to talk to a stranger girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilage_idoit)
    Maybe not, you know best, I think it was a pretty nasty thing to do that. I'd be put off approaching if I had that experience. Remember it's guys who have to do the work next time and yuo should appreciate a guy who has balls to talk to a stranger girl.
    exactly, someone wants to talk to you so you walk away.
    to be honest, i wouldn't even count that as rejection, because with that attitude, i'd be put off tbh...
    girls like that need to be knocked to a human level. they think they're better than everyone else, so no-one can talk to them. girls like this aren't worth my time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treben)

The problem is everything is highly circumstancial. It could be cute.. but it could also just be awkward and off-putting. From the sound of it, you're better off just being yourself and having normal conversations like you currently do. I would prefer that in most situations.

There was one man who was so honest with me it was... well, just very off-putting and weird. He was 36 (he only looked about 25 actually) and had never been in a long term relationship. He would go out regularly purely to look for girls but never had any luck. Because "a man has got to do what a man has got to do" he would sometimes go out in his car, which isn't a great car but "it works at least", and pick up prostitutes. He lived with his mum and had a low-paying job because he never finished school.
    ^ He somehow managed to tell me all of that in the first few sentances. Then he asked me for my phone number..
    I politely said I had to go and meet my friend (which was true thankfully).

Yes, I only get attention from older men it seems...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    LOL you know you liked that :p:
    Mm you know I love overweight, balding, middle-aged Irishmen.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.