Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OK, I have my Eng Lan in November 2010, and I have a few questions:

What do I include and how do structure a Paper 1 Sec A stating- "explain the writer’s argument" OR a question about "the main points" within the article.
    Normally, this would be 6-9 marks, so how can I ensure too gain full marks in these questions? Is it just paraphasing or do you need to do more (if yes, what else is needed?)

Can someone shows a layout of how you would answer these questions?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Please...

ReputationRep:
    Use PQA/PEE paragraphs. ALWAYS explain the effect on the reader. For 6 marks do 3-4 paragraphs, 'bout 1/2-3/4 of a page. For 9 do 5. It works out around 2 marks per paragraph

Example:

Point: The writer uses the rule of three in her argument.
    Quote: '(use quote showing rule of three)'
    Analyse: This shows her reasons why people shouldn't smoke - can cause cancer etc... It also Presents them in a clear, precise and eye-catching way, which will draw the reader in.

Pad out a bit, use some good vocab. for some extra marks You can mix up the order on PQA too, making it a bit less year 9 - the example makes sense whatever you swap really, just change the odd word here and there

Oh, and you usually have to use language devices i.e. metaphors, rule of three... (you kind of have to learn these - the AQA aiming for A* english language revision book has these, it's really good, I recommend it). Apart form that it's pretty easy to catch on too. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    Use PQA/PEE paragraphs. ALWAYS explain the effect on the reader. For 6 marks do 3-4 paragraphs, 'bout 1/2-3/4 of a page. For 9 do 5. It works out around 2 marks per paragraph

Example:

Point: The writer uses the rule of three in her argument.
    Quote: '(use quote showing rule of three)'
    Analyse: This shows her reasons why people shouldn't smoke - can cause cancer etc... It also Presents them in a clear, precise and eye-catching way, which will draw the reader in.

Pad out a bit, use some good vocab. for some extra marks You can mix up the order on PQA too, making it a bit less year 9 - the example makes sense whatever you swap really, just change the odd word here and there

Oh, and you usually have to use language devices i.e. metaphors, rule of three... (you kind of have to learn these - the AQA aiming for A* english language revision book has these, it's really good, I recommend it). Apart form that it's pretty easy to catch on too. Good luck
    THANKS LOADS
    So, for even the questions where it is asked for the main point/explaining the writer's arguament, I should include the linguistic devices?

Also, are questions which asks for the main points and questions which ask to explan the writer's arugument the same?
    Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    THANKS LOADS
    So, for even the questions where it is asked for the main point/explaining the writer's arguament, I should include the linguistic devices?

Also, are questions which asks for the main points and questions which ask to explan the writer's arugument the same?
    Thanks again.
    The same but just put one of their points in for the 'P' part. You could add a device, but don't have to go into as much detail as if they ask for it

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

Okay, so for the main point/explain arguement questions, I shall just summarise the main sections of the article, and doing this in PEE format, with some devices if needed or if there is enough time.

So for the main points in the Explain part of the PEE, do I just paraphrase, and if possible show devices of how the point is made?

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:
    (Original post by twig)
    Thank you.

Okay, so for the main point/explain arguement questions, I shall just summarise the main sections of the article, and doing this in PEE format, with some devices if needed or if there is enough time.

So for the main points in the Explain part of the PEE, do I just paraphrase, and if possible show devices of how the point is made?
    These ^, it will get you extra marks Examiners mostly want to see structure in your paragraphs. Just remember to explain the effect devices they have on the reader/writing - usually it's alway 'draws them into to the writing' or 'emphasises the point the writer makes'. It's quite easy once you get used to it And when you paraphrase you can put in a few fancy words to get vocab. marks + impress :yes:

I haven't got my final grade back yet, but my mocks were good. And this part of all the english papers was the easiest and went the best

Before your exam get a few practice papers and do a few questions this way. The questions are basically exactly the same, but just usuing different topics. (Almost always about the environment/smoking/teen issues)

ReputationRep:
    What do I include and how do structure a Paper 1 Sec A stating- "explain the writer’s argument" OR a question about "the main points" within the article.

Its already answered, but I thought I'd just chip in too...

Explaining the writers argument - what she says and how she says it, why its effective and how it effects the audience.
    The main points is basically the same thing, but you outline each main point shes made (3/4 should be fine), and then say how she says it and makes it effective, plus add in something about how the points tie together to make the piece effective ect.

Feel free to PM me if you want any help or whatever, I sat the exam in November 08 and got a A grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahLouisexoxo)

Its already answered, but I thought I'd just chip in too...

Explaining the writers argument - what she says and how she says it, why its effective and how it effects the audience.
    The main points is basically the same thing, but you outline each main point shes made (3/4 should be fine), and then say how she says it and makes it effective, plus add in something about how the points tie together to make the piece effective ect.

Feel free to PM me if you want any help or whatever, I sat the exam in November 08 and got a A grade
    Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    There are examples of marked scripts on the AQA Website. Please see here:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/...?id=02&prev=02

These could help you to resolve issues to do with exam technique.

Hope this helpss

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.