Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going on Holiday in September to the US and Canada. I have quite a few questions to ask of people who have been there before, but I shall start with just the one because it is rather urgent. (With me leaving in a month and all)

I am starting my holiday in Canada and my trip is basically going;

London - Toronto - Montreal - Boston - New York - Washington DC - ???? - Washington DC - London

And I am looking for something to fill the "????"

I have a hotel in DC until the 20th, and I fly out of DC on the 24th September. So really I am looking for somewhere to go between the 20th and the 22nd/23rd September.

I am doing this a bit on the cheap, so somewhere nice to end my holiday where there are hostels and can be gotten to by bus/some other means of very cheap transport would be preferred.

Any help/advice any of you could give me would be fantastic.

Cheers

Josh

ReputationRep:
    Baltimore!

Dead close to DC (about an hour's drive) and it's a lovely intimate port city.

ReputationRep:
    I second Baltimore. As you can see from my location I live halfway between Baltimore and DC. It could make a nice day trip from DC or you could stay overnight if you wanted to. Baltimore's got lots of fun things to do. You could go to the National Aquarium. Or, if you are into history, you could go to Fort McHenry(the birthplace of the National Anthem). Baltimore was also the first Catholic diocese in the US so you could go see the first Catholic Cathedral built in the US(which, incidentally, is where my high school graduation ceremony will be). You just gotta explore the city.

I will warn you, though, Baltimore does have a reputation as being a very dangerous and deadly city. It is frequently rated as the deadliest city in America(by murders). However, please don't let this scare you away. It is perfectly safe as long as you stay in areas where you should be. Don't go into any areas where you shouldn't be. Trust me, you will know those areas as soon as you walk into them. Baltimore is still a fun city filled with many young people who just wanna have a good time.

I love this city and please don't let my warning scare you. I truly think Baltimore would be your best option for your ?????.

http://baltimore.org/ > Baltimore tourism website.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers both of you. I will look into Baltimore. Any suggestion of good hostels? And a few good bars?

I have also looked at a map and noticed Virginia Beach. It is a lot farther away, but probably only 5 or 6 hours by coach.

Has anyone been there? is it worth the trip? What is the weather usually like in September? Is it hot enough to make it worthwhile going to a beach town?

ReputationRep:
    ^ My recommendation has been seconded by an American! :proud:

Edit: You can stay at the HI hostel in Baltimore, apparently it's the best. I would advise picking a few and ringing them all up instead of booking online, as you can save a few bob. I paid $14 extra a night in New York when I booked online D:
    Never been to VB, quite near Norfolk isn't it?

I really didn't enjoy Baltimore but each to their own. I'd go from Canada to Chicago, then Boston and New York. Do you plan to rent a car? If you did I'd say consider driving down through the mountains in Virginia - stunning scenery.

September weather should still be decent - 70s. So don't rule out beach places. If you are going to Boston you could check out Martha's Vineyard and that coastline.

Make sure you take out health insurance - it really is essential. I found Columbus Direct quite cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    ^ My recommendation has been seconded by an American! :proud:

Edit: You can stay at the HI hostel in Baltimore, apparently it's the best. I would advise picking a few and ringing them all up instead of booking online, as you can save a few bob. I paid $14 extra a night in New York when I booked online D:
    Never been to VB, quite near Norfolk isn't it?
    I have already booked all the other places. Boston turned out to be the most expensive for Hostels.

DC was actually the most expensive because I got a fancy Hotel that was going very cheap.

VB is on the coast south of DC. It looks alright, just a long trip. But it would be nice to spend some time on a beach if the weather was good enough.

ReputationRep:
    Cool! Where are you staying in NY?

And meh about the beach, I reckon you could sunbathe on Coney Island if the weather's good enough, saving you the five hour trip. As for the temp, it was about 75 when I was there (June) so not bad, really..

ReputationRep:
    The address is : 300 West 30th Street, at 8th Avenue, New York City, Chelsea, 10001, USA

Have no idea what that means, I will have to learn how American streets work before I go.

But on the map on the site it looked pretty central. And after all it is just a bed for the night.

I am actually staying at 2, for 2 nights a piece. Thought it would be better then if one is good and one terrible i can always pay a bit extra and switch, plus new people in each one etc. etc.

I can't find the address of the second one at the mo, but it is in roughly the same place (within a mile)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    I really didn't enjoy Baltimore but each to their own. I'd go from Canada to Chicago, then Boston and New York. Do you plan to rent a car? If you did I'd say consider driving down through the mountains in Virginia - stunning scenery.

September weather should still be decent - 70s. So don't rule out beach places. If you are going to Boston you could check out Martha's Vineyard and that coastline.

Make sure you take out health insurance - it really is essential. I found Columbus Direct quite cheap.
    I have already booked the rest of the holiday. I am taking busses between places, i am going on my own, so to meet random people etc.

I am getting insurance soon.

If I have cash left over at the end i suppose I cold rent a car and go for a drive about. Ho much are they in the states? I am 21 and have had a driving license for nearly 4 years. And it is clean at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshJGordon)
    I am going on Holiday in September to the US and Canada. I have quite a few questions to ask of people who have been there before, but I shall start with just the one because it is rather urgent. (With me leaving in a month and all)

I am starting my holiday in Canada and my trip is basically going;

London - Toronto - Montreal - Boston - New York - Washington DC - ???? - Washington DC - London

And I am looking for something to fill the "????"

I have a hotel in DC until the 20th, and I fly out of DC on the 24th September. So really I am looking for somewhere to go between the 20th and the 22nd/23rd September.

I am doing this a bit on the cheap, so somewhere nice to end my holiday where there are hostels and can be gotten to by bus/some other means of very cheap transport would be preferred.

Any help/advice any of you could give me would be fantastic.

Cheers

Josh

It would be cool, if you were able to fit in Philadelphia in there somewhere (esp. if you are a history buff like me!). Also, consider taking a day from Montreal to visit Ottawa.

I'm from Toronto, so if you need any tips on must-sees let me know! You're going to love it here - it's the greatest city in the world! Obviously, I'm a little biased...

ReputationRep:
    If you're into history, you could do Gettysburg.
    Annapolis, Maryland is another city you could try or Richmond, Virginia.

ReputationRep:
    You could go to Delaware, you'd probably be the first tourist in years and thus become quite a celebrity while you're there.

ReputationRep:
    Watch the Wire and then go to Baltimore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshJGordon)
    The address is : 300 West 30th Street, at 8th Avenue, New York City, Chelsea, 10001, USA

Have no idea what that means, I will have to learn how American streets work before I go.

But on the map on the site it looked pretty central. And after all it is just a bed for the night.

I am actually staying at 2, for 2 nights a piece. Thought it would be better then if one is good and one terrible i can always pay a bit extra and switch, plus new people in each one etc. etc.

I can't find the address of the second one at the mo, but it is in roughly the same place (within a mile)
    They're really easy to get, don't worry. In Manhattan streets run west to east, and avenues north to south. The numbering of the streets starts from Houston Street in Lower Manhattan. From there, each block is numbered 1 St, 2 St, 3 St etc. Avenues start at the East River and the numbers go up as you go west. Whether a street is named "West" or "East" depends on whether it is west or east of 5th Avenue. So one street around Times Square is called West 42nd Street or whatever because it is west of 5 Av, and 42 blocks north of Houston Street.

Your hotel is on the corner of 30th and 8th. Chelsea is the district. 10001 is the ZIP code, like a post code here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmo541)
    Watch the Wire and then go to Baltimore.
    You're an idiot. It is a TV show and it is fiction. Although, I must admit it is quite a good show.

Also, to go along with the poster who suggested Gettysburg, if you're interested in history/military history you could go to Antietam Battlefield which was the site of the deadliest day in American history. (23,000+ casualties) It, along with Gettysburg, are quite somber experiences.

I would also have to second Annapolis. Great little town and you might be able to go visit the US Naval Academy. You could go for a ride on a boat in the beautiful Chesapeake Bay. You might even wanna try your hand at eating some crabs.:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

Finally, if you're looking for a beach I would suggest Ocean City, Maryland. Best beach town on the East Coast IMO. Best boardwalk I have ever been to. It is also just a great beach(clean, great waves etc.). http://ococean.com/

Don't listen to the poster who mentioned The Wire. I knew someone would come in here and say something bad about Baltimore that they heard thru the media. Baltimore gets a bad reputation and really is much nicer than *some* people make it out to be.

Google Maps says Ocean City is exactly 3 hours from DC. Much closer than Virginia Beach.

If you go to Ocean City you could also go to Assateague Island which has wild ponies/horses that roam about. It is pretty damn cool and this is coming from a guy. I love going there. Its great if you're in Ocean City but would just like a break from the hustle and bustle and you want to see some horses. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assateague_Island http://www.assateagueisland.com/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.