Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I crazy...or is it worth it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Having worked for the past 3 years I've been very successful in my current employment. Starting on a wage of £16kpa + bonus I've increased this now to £24kpa + bonus (in the last tax year earning £29450).

I've decided to leave this employment to begin studying a degree in Photography in September. The pure reason behind this is that the job I do now, albeit very well paid is not my prefered career, whereas being a Photojournalist is something I have always dreamed of doing.

Am I crazy for leaving a £30kpa job in the current climate to study and live on less than £80pw?

Opinions please!

ReputationRep:
    Not at all You'll more than likely come out on top at the end of the day if your a hard worker!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't leave 30K a year for a photography course...

ReputationRep:
    if you do what you enjoy, and it makes you happier than your current wage, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Let the recession do its thing or at least build up some savings before leaving your job!

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are crazy. You don't need a photography degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    Having worked for the past 3 years I've been very successful in my current employment. Starting on a wage of £16kpa + bonus I've increased this now to £24kpa + bonus (in the last tax year earning £29450).

I've decided to leave this employment to begin studying a degree in Photography in September. The pure reason behind this is that the job I do now, albeit very well paid is not my prefered career, whereas being a Photojournalist is something I have always dreamed of doing.

Am I crazy for leaving a £30kpa job in the current climate to study and live on less than £80pw?

Opinions please!
    I've done exactly the same. Was on about £30k, but the job was boring and the commute drove me insane every day. I applied to UCAS and will be studying Computer Science at Cardiff in September!

ReputationRep:

Opinions please!
    Is there a way you could study a photojournalism course alongside your current job then give it up once you're qualified? i.e. evening classes. It just seems a bit less risky than dropping it all straight away.

ReputationRep:
    If it's what you want to do, and what you've always dreamed of doing then it's not crazy in the slightest and nobody can tell you that it is =)

ReputationRep:
    Keep the job, seriously. You can study photography later on or even part time.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, what exactly does a degree in photography open up for you career wise? Most photographers I know don't have a degree, and I know 5 or 6. Wouldn't journalism be a better course to study? It gives you more options once you are out of study I would imagine, I may be wrong, and you could spend a year saving up, then go, because fingers crossed in 4 years the recession will be dropping back a bit!

Opinions please!
    Woah! You're crazy!

Keep the job BUT maybe have like a photography course you can do ALONGSIDE your job?

Please DON'T give up your job. DON'T.

People are struggling in these times not being able to find a job, and the fact you want to do a photography degree, well, it isn't the best of choices is it?

Be wary that employers (imo) might not like it that you dropped a £30kpa job for a photography degree. I very much doubt it.

Keep your job. You're just damn lucky your wage has gone up instead of you being redundant.

ReputationRep:
    I did a two year gap year, started on £5.50 an hour in a product design shop to doubling that as a image assistant.

Last September, I quit my job and left to start a degree in architecture.I took out a student loan (£2300), tuition fees (3145) and still managed to rack up £2k worth of additional debts to my bank.
    even though I had £6k in savings to sort me out for the whole three years, it was all gone by the time i finished first year.
    i even had a part time job and that wasn't even enough.

I didn't know how expensive the whole thing was going to be living/ studying in london. also studying an 'arty' subject is expensive, this year i brought a xps laptop, 22inch monitor, dslr, and sht like that all adds up in costs.

by the time i graduate, ill be on the same salary i was on before i started university.

having done a year of uni, i don't think its worth all the debts you get at the end of it. my advice is, if you can get a job in the photography industry as an entry level assistant, build contacts and work your way up, this would so MUCH better than getting into photography.
    speak to some photographers and ask how they got into the industry. most of it is done on freelance work which is normally unpaid at first and then when you made it, you get paid for each project you do.

P.S: DONT QUIT YOUR JOB.

ReputationRep:
    Drew so glad I'm not the only one in this boat.

In response to some questions, no I cannot do an open university course or the likes otherwise I would.

A degree in photography will aid me gaining employment in this field significantly. I have worked for a photo agency in London on a few occasions but this isnt where the money is. Yes I could just take the plunge and try get agency work full time, but I would not make a living.

In terms of working to save money, I have done this already and will be paying my Tuition fees with some of this, although the rest will remain in savings to invest in my future ie towards buying a house, setting up a business etc after university rather than spending whilst studying.

Someone stated why not do it later? I've already worked for 3 years in what I see as a dead end job with no happiness or future prospect... surely I've already put it off for 'later'. Personally I think if I dont do it now, I never will...

I'm not your average student who is going because its the thing to do after college, I'm going because I want to succeed and have the drive and determination to do so, and I know that I will regain the income I have now in 5 years time.

ReputationRep:
    If your passionate about Photography and enjoy it, go for it!

I left my 28k job to study at uni this September.

ReputationRep:
    As already mentioned, you don't need a photography degree. If you really want to go back to school, study English, languages, or something similar. Seriously, don't do it, not in this economic climate.

ReputationRep:
    Hold for now until the changes in student finance are complete, at the current rate students are paying 3k+ a year for their fees however if you can self support yourself they're looking at canning the fees if you do not require a loan. This could come into place as soon as next year, so the extra year at work plus saving 10k on fees would be a huge financial benefit, not to mention also some time to research building up a portfolio and potential employers to see if you could skip uni completely and go straight into work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeelAhmad)
    If your passionate about Photography and enjoy it, go for it!

I left my 28k job to study at uni this September.
    And you managed to keep your glanza just saw your post in another thread... I'm managing to keep my ibiza cupra turbo...

Money is nothing to me, I'd rather earn £15kpa as a photographer working 70 hours a week than the 35 hours I do now for double the money.

I think the majority of people posting on here have never worked full time and earnt this kind of money so it is very hard to judge. Also perhaps a few people have never worked full time for 3 years in a job they dont enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Ask people's opinions, then discredit everyone for not possibly being able to understand... smooth.

If you understand the risks and still want to do it, do it. But photography isn't really a steady career plan, and could be considered career suicide in this economic climate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    As already mentioned, you don't need a photography degree. If you really want to go back to school, study English, languages, or something similar. Seriously, don't do it, not in this economic climate.
    Explain why I do not need a photography degree to succeed in something I am passionate about? And how studying English would make me successful in Photography?

This isnt a thread to debate my choice of career.

Don't in this economic climate? I work in the financial industry and in realism I could potentially loose my job tomorrow or could gain further income. It's not stable at all...
    Have you ever worked full time out of interest? As in for a period of 1 year +

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.