Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I crazy...or is it worth it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Take out all possible loans you can, by this I mean income assessed loans for living expenses & tuition fees. Don't pay for it yourself, your better off putting the money you've saved into a high interest account I think? I mean the interest you gain will be greater than the cost of the interest on the loan. Plus its better to have that fast cash and make use of the low interest loans the government provides.
    This is exactly what I plan to do. Although savings interest rates are terrible at the moment. I'll probably get an offshore account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    well at least youve earned some money ready to keep you going. do what youve always wanted to do. but is there anyway you can fit the course around your work i.e. a four year sandwich course as opposed to a three year full time course? or longer if necessary
    This isnt possible as I've stated in a previous post. My current employment is very intense and doesnt allow part time work. High levels of stress are involved as decisions directly effect my income (well part of it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    This isnt possible as I've stated in a previous post. My current employment is very intense and doesnt allow part time work. High levels of stress are involved as decisions directly effect my income (well part of it).
    well that sucks. if they wont let you have part time work then screw them and do your photography degree

enjoying your job helps you to enjoy your life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I wouldn't leave 30K a year for a photography course...
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    :yes:
    Just because its a photography course and doesnt interest you?
    Or would you say the same should it be your dream career you'd be studying for?

ReputationRep:
    I think by the sounds of this thread you know this is what you want to do anyway, you're just looking for last minute assurance. To be fair, i probably can't make any proper comment because i've not been in this situation myself, but i say go for it! Do you really want to look back in 50 years and wish you'd done what you were really passionate about in life, rather than being too afraid to take a risk? It seems like you have genuine passion, and determination to exceed, plus you've planned financially and have some photographic experience already. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Just because its a photography course and doesnt interest you?
    Or would you say the same should it be your dream career you'd be studying for?
    No not because of that at all. I think photography would be quite cool tbh.
    Just you have worked for 3 years, so it cant be that bad and you must enjoy it? Plus you have been successful and on nearly double the amount you started with. Not to mention it's a good salary.

I mean, can you not do the degree part time while still at your job?
    And then slowly move into the profession full time.

Plus, you have to consider living with a lot less money etc, it's a lot to sacrifice all of a sudden IMO.

Just my two cents

Good luck with what ever you do :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Do a course, but I wouldn't spend three years on a degree for some certificate. Employers for photographers wont look at your qualifications, they'll look at your portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    This is where I am, working to live for the weekend.
    I guess at the end of this I want to be living to work more than working to live. If that makes sense?
    ya its the same with me. I just got stuck in a rut as a mortgage advisor. Didnt ever plan to go that way it just happened and its taken 4/5 years and a few different jobs to realise im never going to enjoy it.

I do not have any ties at the moment and I know what I would love to do for a career so thought lifes to short not to try. a cliche i know but its very true.

I wouldnt mind earning half what i do know if it was something i really enjoyed!

I think it depends on a persons ability to "coast". Theres plenty of people who earn really high wages (like 60k+) that hate their jobs but are fine with putting up with it. I, for one, cannot just put up with dreading coming in to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesty)
    ya its the same with me. I just got stuck in a rut as a mortgage advisor. Didnt ever plan to go that way it just happened and its taken 4/5 years and a few different jobs to realise im never going to enjoy it.

I do not have any ties at the moment and I know what I would love to do for a career so thought lifes to short not to try. a cliche i know but its very true.

I wouldnt mind earning half what i do know if it was something i really enjoyed!

I think it depends on a persons ability to "coast". Theres plenty of people who earn really high wages (like 60k+) that hate their jobs but are fine with putting up with it. I, for one, cannot just put up with dreading coming in to work.
    Yeah I work in finance too currently and its such a bore.

I agree this isnt a job I could just put up with for the money, even if it was double what I earn now. And similarly I would happily earn £15kpa and love my job. Money isn't everything.

Luckily I no longer have any ties either and have managed to save a fair amount to help in the future.

What are you going to study?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I work in finance too currently and its such a bore.

I agree this isnt a job I could just put up with for the money, even if it was double what I earn now. And similarly I would happily earn £15kpa and love my job. Money isn't everything.

Luckily I no longer have any ties either and have managed to save a fair amount to help in the future.

What are you going to study?
    ah thats where we differ. I do not have much saved. Ill thank my ex ex girlfriend for helping me out with that one! lol

Im going to be studying web development. Used to love doing it in my spare time a few years ago and its the only area i managed to get a disctinction in on my ND at college. Mainly because I enjoyed it.

It starts off pretty poorly paid but will get to about the same salary im on now pretty quickly. The main thing is I will enjoy it! Im so excited to be able to get to that point. Just need to knuckle down for a few years as well as a small amount of partying on the side

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesty)
    ah thats where we differ. I do not have much saved. Ill thank my ex ex girlfriend for helping me out with that one! lol

Im going to be studying web development. Used to love doing it in my spare time a few years ago and its the only area i managed to get a disctinction in on my ND at college. Mainly because I enjoyed it.

It starts off pretty poorly paid but will get to about the same salary im on now pretty quickly. The main thing is I will enjoy it! Im so excited to be able to get to that point. Just need to knuckle down for a few years as well as a small amount of partying on the side
    Oh yes I had one of those who drained me out a few years ago, luckily I benefited in the long run with the property.

Sounds good! Best thing is to do something you enjoy, exactly what I'm doing.

Yeah chances are i'll earn next to nothing compared to what I do now, but at least i'll enjoy it.
    3 years of work, plus a whole lot of partying by the looks of things sounds good to me compared to working 35 hours + a week bored!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd go for it - but I would wait till I had saved up a big chunk of cash to avoid student debts. It sounds like you're swaying towards going for it, just make sure not to rush into it and regret it.

ReputationRep:
    Having worked for the past 3 years I've been very successful in my current employment. Starting on a wage of £16kpa + bonus I've increased this now to £24kpa + bonus (in the last tax year earning £29450).

I've decided to leave this employment to begin studying a degree in Photography in September. The pure reason behind this is that the job I do now, albeit very well paid is not my prefered career, whereas being a Photojournalist is something I have always dreamed of doing.

Am I crazy for leaving a £30kpa job in the current climate to study and live on less than £80pw?

Opinions please!
    Can I ask what job it is please?

You'd do much better studying part-time or through the Open University.

Having a dream is one thing, but you also have to be sensible. The fact is, thousands and thousands of people want to be photo-journalists, and very, very few make it.

You need to compromise between your dream and the real world.

ReputationRep:
    Having worked for the past 3 years I've been very successful in my current employment. Starting on a wage of £16kpa + bonus I've increased this now to £24kpa + bonus (in the last tax year earning £29450).

I've decided to leave this employment to begin studying a degree in Photography in September. The pure reason behind this is that the job I do now, albeit very well paid is not my prefered career, whereas being a Photojournalist is something I have always dreamed of doing.

Am I crazy for leaving a £30kpa job in the current climate to study and live on less than £80pw?

Opinions please!

work for a couple of years more and then leave ur job. Or how about doing part-time? But please please dont leave your job now. Get some extra cash in your pocket first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny_777)
    Can I ask what job it is please?

You'd do much better studying part-time or through the Open University.

Having a dream is one thing, but you also have to be sensible. The fact is, thousands and thousands of people want to be photo-journalists, and very, very few make it.

You need to compromise between your dream and the real world.
    Yes, I manage a portfolio of mortgage accounts that regularly fall delinquent.

In relation to studying part time or open uni this has been covered already in the thread.

I'm aware of the risks of not getting secure employment in the field. But as you can probably see from the previous post how commited I am. I'm not the kind of person who gives up when it gets tough when following a dream.

To be honest you say to compromise between a dream and the real world, but as you may or may no know (unsure of your age and working experience) it is very difficult to gain any employment currently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms_Flames)
    work for a couple of years more and then leave ur job. Or how about doing part-time? But please please dont leave your job now. Get some extra cash in your pocket first!
    Again if you read the thread you will notice I have done this already. I have worked for 3 years and have siginificant savings in 5 figures.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.