Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ive only gone up to the introduction of my Extended essay so its not a big deal if I get this wrong, but at the moment i'am currently citing quotes from the pages of books instead of citing the original source for example "speech by...in 1990...in reference to". I have also looked at a few examples and most cite the original source. I am just wondering if citing off pages in a book is wrong for quotes?

Im also quite confused on what information to cite, do you cite only figures and numbers or any bit of information you give?

ReputationRep:
    well you should use the correct reference, if you are referencing quotes in a book, cite the page of the book, name, author, publisher. Well if the source of your information is from a book/website and is not your own finidngs then you should reference it.

ReputationRep:
    You should reference any direct quotes as well as any ideas that you borrowed from another source.

ReputationRep:
    What about if the book I was reading already had the quote in it that I used, the question im asking is whether I write down the original date and speaker of the quote or the page in the book I derived it from.

ReputationRep:
    That's up to you. If you know the original source of the quote you can cite that.. or you can just reference the book that you got the quote from. Either's fine as long as you don't pass it off as your own

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.