Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I got told dont indicate with manouveres apart from parallel park where you indicate when stopping next to the parked car so people realise what you are doing and wont steal the space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pork products)
    I got told dont indicate with manouveres apart from parallel park where you indicate when stopping next to the parked car so people realise what you are doing and wont steal the space.
    Great. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Well in theory if you dont indicate and you want to turn, the driver behind you will not slow down for you to turn therefore may cause a crash. However in practical **** it.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter. In my first test before I had lessons I indicated during all manouvers and never had a problem, but after I had lessons and took my second test I never did and once again never had any problems.

ReputationRep:
    For the turn in the road, ask yourself two questions:
    1) If you're going to turn on an empty deserted road, who is going to benefit from or even see your signal?
    2) If anyone is driving towards you who may benefit from the signal, are you really going to begin the turn in the first place?

In other words, you don't need to signal. If you feel the need to, perhaps you shouldn't be starting the manoeuvre.

For other manoeuvres, just treat the "moving away" and "stopping" procedures just as you would normally. Consider whether you should be pulling out at all, then signal if anyone else (including pedestrians) could benefit from it.

TIP: If you're pulling out with the intention of stopping very soon alongside a parked car, you shouldn't have any traffic following you. Even if you think "I can make it before that car", you're going to cause problems stopping in his way unless you're on a massively wide road. If you do **** it up in this regard, signal left well before you brake so the driver will have more notice to be able to pass you.

(Original post by CookieArun)
    Well in theory if you dont indicate and you want to turn, the driver behind you will not slow down for you to turn therefore may cause a crash.
    You shouldn't make drivers slow down when you're at the roadside. If you cause a crash, it's not the lack of signal that's caused it, more the pulling out regardless.

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing a manoeuvre that involves reversing, after applying the handbrake, always go straight into reverse gear before removing your seatbelt and carrying out the manoeuvre. That way other drivers are aware of your intentions and don't pull up right behind you.

You should only indicate if other drivers will benefit from it. So for example, if you're pulling up at the side of the road to do the reverse round a corner manoeuvre and there is a vehicle behind you, then indicate. If there are no vehicles, then there's no need to. But don't have your indicator on throughout the manoeuvre as your reversing lights will tell other drivers what you intend to do.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant. Thanks everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Only indicate to pull over and stop, no indicating required otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Only indicate to pull over and stop, no indicating required otherwise
    LOL and when you're turning corners and changing lanes and the like :p:

ReputationRep:
    no indicating, if anyone is around you shouldn't be moving so its pointless to. Just be patient and try to stay calmand you should be fine, manouvres are one of the easier parts of the test in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eden09)
    Well yeah, but I meant maneuvering

Once you've passed your test though, don't have to do any of it LOLOLOLOL
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Eden09)
    Very true, but the only time you should indicate for manouvers is when pulling up to start the manouver - the examiner will say something like "I'd like you to reverse around the corner of the road up ahead. Try to stay reasonably close to the corner and do not touch the kerb." You should signal to pull in at least 10 m after the corner (not blocking driveways or across from a junction unless you're told/ask permission from the examiner.) Signal when the manouver is over (right first to say that you are pulling out, and then immediatly left if you're turning left, obviously keep the right signal on if turning right )

Apart from that, don't indicate during the manouvers - the fact that you are in reverse for almost the whole time for all of them shows is a signal to other road users.

ReputationRep:
    lol dont worry at all about any of this. its really not a pressing concern.

you're going to fail anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandabär)
    So, I have my driving test at 8.10 tomorrow morning, and have suddenly realised that I am unsure about the manoevers.

Basically, should you indicate in a 3-point turn, parallel park, or reverse around the corner?

If I do/ don't, will it be a serious error?

I would expect you to indicate right to start a 3-point turn, but then would you indicate left as you reverse in the second part of it? :confused:

I am confused. Any help would be really appreciated. I can't seem to find this info on the internet, or in my highway code.

Cheers.
    no you dont need to indicate as far as im aware. i didnt and i passed. just observe and ensure no one else is around, perhaps indicate when youre pulling in to get ready and there is a car behind you

GOOD LUCK!!

ReputationRep:
    Did you pass? :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you are pulled up and you're pulling out again, do you need to signal when there's noone there to see it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    Did you pass? :p:
    thank you everyone for your replies (even to the person who was like 'you will fail...'.

I passed! (With 7 minors). Am very happy. Even if my reverse around a corner was terrible-at least I didn't hit the kerb! Yay!

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandabär)
    thank you everyone for your replies (even to the person who was like 'you will fail...'.

I passed! (With 7 minors). Am very happy. Even if my reverse around a corner was terrible-at least I didn't hit the kerb! Yay!

Thanks again!
    Yay Congratz!! One more driver on the road..or should i say one more female driver Haha i'm sure your an excellent driver...drive safely!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.