Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It has been almost two weeks now and I still haven't heard from any of the workplaces I've applied for. How long does it normally take to hear back an employer?

ReputationRep:
    Lots of employers just don't bother replying to people who haven't been successful, so some jobs you never hear from.
    On the whole, I would expect them to call people for interviews within 2-3 weeks of the closing date.
    It might be worth giving them a ring if you are desperate to hear. But it looks like you are probably going through the soul-destroying tedium that comes with job-hunting in 2009.

ReputationRep:
    Yep my soul is currently being destroyed atm. =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizj)
    Lots of employers just don't bother replying to people who haven't been successful, so some jobs you never hear from.
    On the whole, I would expect them to call people for interviews within 2-3 weeks of the closing date.
    It might be worth giving them a ring if you are desperate to hear. But it looks like you are probably going through the soul-destroying tedium that comes with job-hunting in 2009.
    They can't just look at your cv and reject you, can they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildStriker)
    They get loads of CV's, especially at the moment. It is the first thing they get to make an opinion on you. Not the fairest way, but the easiest for them. They couldn't interiew all candidates.
    You just have to keep trying
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Probably an urban legend, but i've heard mentionings that for some high-competition jobs the recruiter will start by simply binning half the CV's.

Doesn't really apply in this case, but they can certainly just look at your CV and reject you.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they can! There may be dozens or even 100s of people applying for one job. They can't interview them all!
    I have got a job now, but when I was applying I was doing well if I got an interview for more than about 1 in 3.

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked the closing date of the jobs you've applied for? That would definitely affect when you'll be contacted. If the closing date was a few weeks ago you could always try a follow-up email or phone call to see if they haven't asked people for interview yet or whether you've been unsuccessful, just so you know where you stand.

ReputationRep:
    As a lot of people go on holidays over this period, this can really drag things out - sometimes they are waiting for input from someone who is on holiday.

Also, just be wary that the economic situation can also lead to things being dragged out too, as companies struggle to decide whether or not they can afford having an extra person or not (sometimes jobs get pulled at the last minute if funds have to be diverted elsewhere, or else they are "on again/off again" as circumstances change). After 2 weeks I certainly think that's long enough, so just give them a call and ask if there's any update on the role.

ReputationRep:
    HA HA HA HA HA

Hell yes. You'll apply for jobs for which you're perfect and massively over-qualified and you'll still get rejected without even a mail-merged 'we're sorry to inform you...' letter.

If you attempt to contact ignorant prospective employers with such outrageous questions as 'could you please tell me the outcome my application?' you'll get completely blanked without exception.

Welcome to world of job hunting, settle in, you'll be here a while and it f|Jcking sucks! :yes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    A lot of places don't send out rejection letters, although some do give an indication of how long it will take to hear from them i.e. saying if you don't hear anything in four weeks, you have been unsuccessful.
    Two weeks isn't that long, so don't panic just yet, but keep applying to other places in the meantime.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.