Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody had theirs removed?

I've been having bad teeth pain for a few days and finally went and registered with a dentist today (cost me £60 for everything as the next NHS appointment was the end of August!) who said my top wisdom tooth is growing at an odd angle and irritating my gum/bottom one.

He said if it carries on I'll need it removed but having never had anything done to my teeth I'm wondering what it's like?

No horror stories kthx :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Ouch... No sign of mine at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    i've got no wisdom teeth lucky me, but i've seen plenty taken out (or attempted!!). it should be fine really, assuming the dentist has taken radiographs to check the tooth's status, he'll know how difficult it could be (e.g. curved roots can make it a pain to remove). IF (big if lol), it's too difficult to take out during the day, even if attempted, you may have to be referred to your local hospital for it to be extracted in the oral surgery dept.

it's fine generally though!! you're numb, so all you'll feel is pressure and noise, but no pain. if you do feel any pain, just say and he'll pop some more anaesthetic in there. i wouldn't worry about it plenty of people get worried and get upset bla bla, but a lot of the time it's all in their head, or caused by a bad past experience.

ReputationRep:
    God, I am only 15 and they are almost though. I have a brace which was not meant to deal with wisdom teeth so there is constant rubbing between the two.

I am getting my brace out in October.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently I need all 4 of mine out...all I have heard is horror stories, so I'm putting it off for a bit..

ReputationRep:
    They stab you in a few different places with needles to numb you over.

It's horrible when you feel and taste the blood in your mouth ;[

Then, all you feel is the jerking of your head - no pain at all ;]

ReputationRep:
    Mine seem to have been growing slowly for the past 6 years or so! They're still not fully out! I have to put up with random days of horrific wisdom teeth pain every few months or so.

My left ones are growing facing outwards (i.e. they half face my cheek) so when I chew things, they chew my cheek. This used to be ok as for some reason, my wisdom teeth (3/4 of them anyway) were covered with gum for ages (probably because they grow so slowly, the gum has time to 'stretch' over them instead of the teeth bursting through). Used to make my cheek sore, though. Then, when the gums came off, I obviously started biting my cheek with proper teeth and entered this cycle of ripping my cheek insides apart, avoiding chewing with that side of my mouth, the cheek healing, me forgetting the teeth problem, ripping my cheek insides apart, avoiding chewing etc. with a few infections thrown in. Over time, my cheek has become scarred, thickened and apparently less sensitive as I don't notice it happen anymore.

I wouldn't want braces again and would NOT have them taken out unless they were drastically bad. Watching my strong, non-crying dad going through obvious pain when he had a tooth removed, makes me think - no thanks! I have a very low pain threshold and have no qualms about admitting that I'm a massive weakling. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    They stab you in a few different places with needles to numb you over.

It's horrible when you feel and taste the blood in your mouth ;[

Then, all you feel is the jerking of your head - no pain at all ;]
    Until afterwards when you're recovering. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I've never needed anything doing to my teeth. Stupid wisdom teeth ruining my fun, he said that it's cutting my gums hence the infection I now have. Eating is a *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Until afterwards when you're recovering. :yy:
    I've had two teeth taken out, and didn't feel anything afterwards.

I did like putting my tongue up the hole though. It's an odd sensation ;/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    I've had two teeth taken out, and didn't feel anything afterwards.

I did like putting my tongue up the hole though. It's an odd sensation ;/
    Lucky you!
    Lol! We've all lost teeth, and I also liked doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Lucky you!
    Lol! We've all lost teeth, and I also liked doing that.
    Haha
    It's so fun xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracie88)
    Has anybody had theirs removed?

I've been having bad teeth pain for a few days and finally went and registered with a dentist today (cost me £60 for everything as the next NHS appointment was the end of August!) who said my top wisdom tooth is growing at an odd angle and irritating my gum/bottom one.

He said if it carries on I'll need it removed but having never had anything done to my teeth I'm wondering what it's like?

No horror stories kthx :yes:
    i dont have any yet thank god

ReputationRep:
    Painful, apparently.
    I have one at an odd angle - and by odd, I mean it's growing horizontally, at 90° to the rest of my teeth. Luckily it's unlikely to grow any more so I shouldn't have to have it removed, but lord, that was a pretty worrying x-ray to look at. So anyway, if you're lucky it won't grow any more, if not, the words of other people say except the recovery to be fairly painful at least.

ReputationRep:
    I got the top two when I was like 13 :laugh:
    The bottom two are halfway through now, and I'm very nearly 18.

ReputationRep:
    I got my first wisdom teeth on the bottom when I was about 12. And yes, they really were wisdom teeth (my mother never believes me), they just came early because I have no big molars on the bottom (my dentist said so). Got mine on the top when I was about 14. Surprisingly, given the general crappiness of my teeth, I have never had any problems with the wisdom teeth. Not that I'm complaining!

ReputationRep:
    I had all four of my wisdom teeth out under a general anaesthetic (only because I had another two teeth out at the same time and it would've been too difficult to remove them all under a local) about 8 years ago now...there was lots of swelling and i couldn't eat solids for about a week...was a bit painful too but then it was not as bad as you expect...take lots of painkillers and you'll be fine lol

ReputationRep:
    I had all four of mine out at the hospital under general; I had no swelling, but I did have annoying stitches in the back of my gum. Didn't have the need for any painkillers, although they gave me some pretty strong ones. Was eating solids about a week and a half later.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on who you ask. Personally I've had a tooth taken out under surgical extraction, including having a flap raised and my bone removed and closed with 5 stitches, and didn't need to take a painkiller. But I found the pain from a root treatment quite irritating.

To be honest the noises extractions generate is the worst thing, especially since your jaw joint and teeth are so close to your ears the sound is just magnified so even though they're totally normal noises, people panic.

Extraction of a wisdom tooth isn't really any different from other teeth, I don't know why they're hyped up. They're just more likely to require surgery due to awkward angles/awkward roots so people can have 'traumatic' experiences.

But hey I don't even find surgery that bad.

ReputationRep:
    This thread and your talk of surgery has honestly scared me.

Yesterday my right side starting hurting, just assumed I had bit it. Then today my left did the same, had a look and theres teeth coming through. Gutted if they have to have work on them.

I'm not adverse to medical stuff, in fact I've spent enough times in hospital in my life to understand the mentality of if it has to be done, it has to be done. But there has to be a line and I think the mouth is it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.