Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are there any TSR members who are studying the postrad IR programme at Cambridge and if so could you give a brief overview of the course structure - Especially in Economics and Philosophy.

Also, are there any aspects which relate to the work of Foucault?

Thanks.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I can't vouch for the exact wording and reading lists for this years courses, but I certainly got through without ever meeting any discussion of Foucault in the taught element of the course. Several students were using him in their research, but he didn't appear on the taught syllabus. More broadly there is very little if any philosophy in the department and no philosophers. However, the department, partly due to the history of Cambridge and how faculties have developed, allows easy supervision/liaison with other departments. Much of my PhD in the department was done via the Philosophy faculty and many people have strong ties to the History and Economics faculty in particular.

Course details are here

http://www.cam.ac.uk/guide/pgcourses/mphil/ir.html

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, one question guys. I am about to send off the references/transcripts/research proposal for my MPhil IR application and suddenly got a bit concerned about the length. I had called Cambridge and was told that the proposal should be about 2-3 pages long. However, I can't find any information about the length on the department website. Also, it seems that many people talk about a length of 1-2 pages whereas my proposal is a bit less than 3 pages. I would appreciate if someone who has done this could give me some advice on that. I am really concerned and anxious because the whole damn application has been taking me so much time (thanks to two reference letters coming from the US and for which I have been waiting for ages...); so I just don't want to worry about yet another aspect of the whole process.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    They say 1-2 pages, other places/people have been told, 500 words or 800 words, it depends on who you speak to in the department. Basically, they will have several hundred applications to read through and can't read pages and pages for each one. Just under three pages will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, that sounds good. Thanks a lot!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.