The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I didn't see that option on the UCAS form, and i believe that you can ask for a copy of your reference provided you pay the £10.
Reply 2
Apparently our school shows us anyway.
Reply 3
mine prob sounds crap so didnt bother to get a copy of it to read
Reply 4
I'd love to see mine as I adore my tutor but I think a tenner is a bit steep to pay just to read a short passage about how good you are. Do you just phone them and ask for it?
Reply 5
I think youi can either phone in or write in. Out of curiosity is there anyone who does NOT want to see their references?
Reply 6
chronicles
Hi if i'm not mistaken, there is an option on the UCAS form where students can tick that they waive the right to look at their reference.

Does this mean that the Data Protection Act whereby 10 pounds guarantees access to the entire application (incl reference) is not applicable?
You are mistaken. Your referee can show you the reference if they are willing. You can pay £10 and request a full copy of your application from UCAS, under the DPA, but you must do so in writing.
Reply 7
aha my tutor just gave me mine w/o asking. :smile:
Reply 8
grah ours don't give us our references to see. They apparently write all nice stuff but...welll...don't want us to see it. Curiosity might jut get the better of me though and off that ten pounds goes.
Reply 9
We had admissions tutors come in to 6th form and they told us that, legally, our tutors MUST show us our references if we ask to see them - but if we don't ask they don't have to.

So just tell your tutor that :smile: They have a legal obligation to show you should you ask, apparently UCAS says they must do so, they are not allowed to write a confidential reference :p:
Reply 10
When do your tutors have to write your reference by anyway??

Latest

Trending

Trending