Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When you were young, was getting married ever a dream of yours? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    I always hear brides say "I've dreamed of this day since I was a little girl" or "I used to practise getting married, walking around with a pillowcase on my head for a veil".

I'm wondering, how many of you TSRians actually dreamed of your wedding when you were younger?

Personally, getting married was way down on the list of my dreams, I'm not even sure it was on my list.
    i am young

but no when i was younger i didnt think about that, they were the times when girls had 'cooties', apparently :p:

ReputationRep:
    defo, i even went through a phase where i would order wedding magazines and subsribe to websites associated with weddings. i was obsessed, so my mom sat me down and told me to get a life.
    i still have the scrapbook tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    I hate the way marriage and family is bigged up as some ideal goal for women, culturally or through the media.

I yearn for the day when women are considered truly equal partners!
    We are equal (except in work...:mad: )
    but it's my personal goal because...I don't know...it's still a fairytale for me. I don't think I need to or have to, but I'd absolutely hate it if I never got married :sad:
    I know full well I don't have to, but who's going to say no to a gorgeous dress and a massive cake and a gathering of all your friends and family and a celebration of your relationship and a honeymoon and omg :woo:
    Yeah, I get a bit carried away

ReputationRep:
    Not at all - when I was younger I dreamt of being a cat. No joke, I refused to answer the register with anything other than "Meow". I also insisted on lapping up milk from a bowl. I was a strange animal, sorry, person.

ReputationRep:
    meee =D i still do i want a massive bollywood type wedding =D

(Original post by missaphrodite)
    We are equal (except in work...:mad: )
    but it's my personal goal because...I don't know...it's still a fairytale for me. I don't think I need to or have to, but I'd absolutely hate it if I never got married :sad:
    I know full well I don't have to, but who's going to say no to a gorgeous dress and a massive cake and a gathering of all your friends and family and a celebration of your relationship and a honeymoon and omg :woo:
    Yeah, I get a bit carried away
    I would say no to those for these reasons:
    a) The financial cost
    b) The emotional cost of the inevitable breakup
    c) The emotional cost on any children
    d) All those wasted years of life
    e) Lack of independence
    f) Your success being measured by that of others, not yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    I would say no to those for these reasons:
    a) The financial cost
    b) The emotional cost of the inevitable breakup
    c) The emotional cost on any children
    d) All those wasted years of life
    e) Lack of independence
    f) Your success being measured by that of others, not yourself.
    a) well yeah there's a cost, but it's meant to be something you only do once.
    b) break up is NOT inevitable!!! in any way!!!
    c) it's better to be married to the mother/father of your children though
    d) I'm going to be with the person I love for as many years as possible anyway, and not a minute is wasted
    e) Well, if you're married, part of that is that your partner has to respect your independence and stick by your decisions.
    f) Not really, your successes count too!

I don't think anyone can understand why someone would want to get married, unless they're completely in love with someone. Then, it becomes obvious

(Original post by missaphrodite)
    a) well yeah there's a cost, but it's meant to be something you only do once.
    b) break up is NOT inevitable!!! in any way!!!
    c) it's better to be married to the mother/father of your children though
    d) I'm going to be with the person I love for as many years as possible anyway, and not a minute is wasted
    e) Well, if you're married, part of that is that your partner has to respect your independence and stick by your decisions.
    f) Not really, your successes count too!

I don't think anyone can understand why someone would want to get married, unless they're completely in love with someone. Then, it becomes obvious
    Mm, totally get your final point.

But for the others:

a) It isn't anymore ..
    b) Statistically speaking, marriages are unlikely to succeed.
    c) Or to not have any kids!? :p:
    d) You won't say that when it ends! :sadnod:
    e) In a way, but you give up total independence and have to compromise.
    f) Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

ReputationRep:
    lol you two..it's like you're bloody married to each other already :eek:

(Original post by Malsy)
    lol you two..it's like you're bloody married to each other already :eek:
    She wishes, the perv :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    It has always been part of my fuzzy and never-elaborated checklist of stuff I should get round to at some point in my life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm like those little girls that always dreamed of being married, I think for a lot of girls they'd really love that stability of being looked after and having one man to give all your love to. But, I think nowadays things are changing, we don't need to marry to have kids, to leave home etc.

ReputationRep:
    Nah never thought about it and now I'm not too keen on the idea either

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    How on earth did you come up with that assumption?!? Just because I never spent my childhood imagining getting married doesn't mean I don't want to get married now and have children. :rolleyes:
    Who put the stupid idea in your head that you have to 'spend your childhood imagining getting married' in order to consider marriage later on???? if you dont marry...then why exist at all?!?!?! cos then you cannot have children and whats the point in that.

ReputationRep:
    No, I wanted to be a princess instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by money-makes-friends)
    Who put the stupid idea in your head that you have to 'spend your childhood imagining getting married' in order to consider marriage later on???? if you dont marry...then why exist at all?!?!?! cos then you cannot have children and whats the point in that.
    Obviously, everyone else in this thread knows what I'm talking about except you. You've completely misunderstood the thread. You're a lunatic.

ReputationRep:
    Uh, no.

ReputationRep:
    It still is.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.