Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Thinking of going with my friend early September.

Anyone been? Is it a decent place to go for a city break, we will want a bit of culture, some shops, good nightlife? Any hotel recommendations?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Its a fantastic city. I have never stayed in a hotel there, but there is a fantastic Hostel in temple bar (right in the centre) called "st john goggartys" or something similar. I think they have a hotel/private room bit attached. Well worth checking out.

Make sure you visit:

Guinness tower
    Jameson Factory (better in my opinion)
    Castle
    Worlds Smallest Bar
    O'Neils
    Lots of other bars.

I have been a few times for a weekend away with friends.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    It's insanely expensive, especially with the Euro being so close to the Pound at the minute... Last time I was there was January and we were paying €7 a pint.

Apart from that, it's a mega city! Can recommend a great hostel on Marlborough Street, just off O'Connell St - the centre of Dublin, called the Marlborough Hostel.

ReputationRep:
    Its a brilliant city Just go for a wander around St Stephen's Green!

ReputationRep:
    kilmainham gaol was my fav. bit! the cathedrals are good if youre into that and the castle is well good. i stayed outside the city (10 mins bus but bus really cheap) in a hotel called the montrose, only 30 a night but really nice. they do the most awesome brekkie too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodie_lee)
    Hey guys,

Thinking of going with my friend early September.

Anyone been? Is it a decent place to go for a city break, we will want a bit of culture, some shops, good nightlife? Any hotel recommendations?

Thanks
    This thread will come in useful for me too. Me and some mates are going to Dublin in early Sept too. Only for Fri, Sat, Sun then come back on Mon. Also can anyone say the best clubs to go to at night. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    It's extremely expensive and honestly not that great compared to any other city in the British Isles.

Go somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Pfft. I'm trying to talk my friends into going there this weekend. You'll have a good time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    It's extremely expensive and honestly not that great compared to any other city in the British Isles.

Go somewhere else.
    Oh, you again. Really though, any British city? Also the term 'British Isles' is an anachronism.

OP, try Phoenix Park and Stephen's Green. Stay away from Temple Bar. Maybe see a local GAA match if you're into sports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)

Go somewhere else.

No perhaps not to a giant Loyalist. It's also technically not in the British Isles anymore, the term no longer applies to the ROI as of 2006.

Anyway, there is NO need to pay €7 for a pint. Pubs in Templebar will happily charge this, no Irish people actually drink there! You'd get the odd place that tries this elsewhere, and of course the really posh places but it's very easy to buy cheap drink. Bondi (Bachelor's Walk), XXI (D'Olier Street), Q-Bar (O'Connell Bridge Corner) Citi Bar (Dame Street) Down Under/The Scene (South King Street) Purty Kitchen and The Button Factory (the exceptions to the no Irish in Templebar thing, they're not tourist-aimed pubs though) ALL do drink deals, (generally €3 drinks) most at least 5 nights a week. There's more I can't think of. It is of course still expensive, but salaries and minimum wage even are a good bit higher here.

The above clubs (apart from Down Under, pub) are all good, Q-Bar can be slightly knackery, and XXI. Purty Kitchen and the Button Factory are a bit scene-y indie crowd. Antics at Crawdaddy (Harcourt Street) is the ultimate indie scene night if you're into that. Harcourt street is the best street for nightlife actually, it has D2, Carnival, Krystle, Coppers and Tripod. They're not known for their cheapness but they're not a rip-off either. A nice late bar is Messrs Maguire (just beside Q-Bar) and the Porterhouse (Nassau Street) does the best strawberry daiquiris EVER. TGI Gridays has €5 cocktail Fridays, great list.

Depending on how young you are and if you mind chavs, Barcode is really the best club for 18-20 year olds. It's massive, has a great dancefloor, pool tables, dance machines, chinese and a chipper and it's just a really good atmosphere. It is not, however, in the city centre. It's in Fairview- fairly close, wouldn't be an expensive taxi ride.

I wouldn't recommend shopping. We get totally ripped off here. Topshop for example sell £65 heels for €99 WTF they're worth nowhere near that and most British high street stores aren't much better (River Island has vastly improved though.) The Powerscourt Shopping Centre and Westbury Mall (both Clarendon Street) have vintagey shops and boutiques though. Arnotts (Mary Street) has all 'young people brands' Lipsy, Rare, Gap and everything else as well as make up counters and Guess bags, that kind of thing. Both Primarks (called Penneys here) are on thw Northside (because the store I work in, its main competitor is able to block it opening on the Southside..). The Jervis shopping centre (Arnotts is in it) has Topshop, Miss Selfridge, Dorothy P, Bershka, Stradivarius, Argos and a giant Boots. Grafton Street has more expensive shops. If you want the short Luas ride, Dundrum Town centre (Balally stop, NOT Dundrum stop) has every single shop ever.

St. Stephens Green and Merrion Square are the nicest parks in the centre. The Ghost Bus Tour and the Viking Splash Tour are the best. Guinness, Trinity College, National Gallery, National Musuem, Collins Barracks, Dublin Castle, Christchurch Cathedral, St Michans Church (it has viewable decayed bodies in its crypt!) are all worth a visit.

I wouldn't recommend marlborough Street as a place to stay really, rough area. I'd avoid that, Talbot Street, Parnell Street, Harcourt Street, D'Olier Street, James' Street, Fleet Street, Gardiner Street, Townsend Street and Dame Street all either too rough or wayyy too loud. I don't think you'd get much sleep in Oliver St. John Gogarty's either.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a student in Dublin and will happily tell u that its a greaaat city!

Ok, so..

Clubs: Tripod for me has to be the best one out there.. pretty big, excellent DJs and have good drink offers on Wednesday nights. A bit expensive on the weekends though. Barcode is great on thursday nights since its a student night (free in!). Q-bar, Bondi and XXI (twenty one) are all located pretty close to each other in and around O'Connell Bridge.. pretty fun and full of young people. As mentioned earlier, Harcourt street is packed with clubs (Tripod is there too..) and I'd recommend D2 for its great beer garden and 2 dancefloors, always packed aswell. Another club you need to visit for a truly drunken and Irish experience is Coppers on harcourt street.. is open pretty late and can get quite messy! Ohhhh and before I forget, Club M in temple bar..a largely non-irish crowd but with one of the best resident DJs around.. worth a visit.

Pubs: I suggest going to temple bar atleast once just to sample the tourist district of Dublin.. expensive but great atmosphere with pubs all over the place. South william street also has a few "posher" bars which I personally like to frequent but not everybody's cup of tea. The porterhouse is probably the best pub in Dublin in terms of choice.. has beer from all over the world (has its own microbrewery). To be honest, you'll find pubs all over the city centre so you shouldn't have a problem with that!

In terms of sightseeing.. visit the guiness factory, dublin castle and if you're bothered for a 30 minute bus ride.. go up to Wicklow for beauuuutiful lakes and mountains.

Thats all I can think of right now, but i'll update this later when I can think of more things.. and feel free to PM me if you need to ask more questions.

ReputationRep:
    Hotels - I stayed at Jury's Inn (Christchurch). Very happy with the hotel!

Can't really help with anything else coz I was only there for a flying visit when seeing Oasis. Didn't go shopping or to any bars!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.