Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If I do my CBT at 16 on a 50cc will it allow me to ride 125cc bikes when I turn 17? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Quick question: If I do my CBT at 16 on a 50cc will it allow me to ride 125cc bikes when I turn 17?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    yes you can

ReputationRep:
    no, you can't

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It's your age that changes it.

On a CBT at 16 you can ride a 50cc, at 17 a 125cc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayabusa999)
    no, you can't
    How helpful.

Seriously though, if your 17 and have an in-date CBT certificate you can ride a geared 125cc bike.

Dont forget you need to retake it when your 18! Dont let it expire and forget.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i would assume so as the direct.gov doesnt say you have to redo it. Just dont let it run out. And you will still need the L-plates

ReputationRep:
    Your CBT is valid for two years and covers any category of bike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    And you will still need the L-plates
    I dont wear L Plates :ninja: Im badass like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelancastrian)
    I dont wear L Plates :ninja: Im badass like that.
    Ok the bike has to wear L plates.. i wont make you personally wear them

ReputationRep:
    Ok the bike has to wear L plates.. i wont make you personally wear them
    Well...legally...the bike has to wear them. Only problem if you dont wear them is your screwed if you get pulled over.

The pros of not wearing L plates = cars dont ride up your arse all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelancastrian)
    Well...legally...the bike has to wear them. Only problem if you dont wear them is your screwed if you get pulled over.

The pros of not wearing L plates = cars dont ride up your arse all the time.
    Thats why i never bothered with a moped, just went for a bike, far easier to get rid of them and annoy them..

ReputationRep:
    Thats why i never bothered with a moped, just went for a bike, far easier to get rid of them and piss them off..
    I remember once riding waiting at a junction and saw a moped go past with a Suburu literally 2 feet behind him with some middle aged man looking angry. Felt bad for the lad on the moped.

L Plates cause learner riders greater risk than without them.

ReputationRep:
    16 - restricted to 50cc ONLY.

17 - 125cc but I think you need to take a test for that again

Also when you're 17 you can buy ANY Motorbike and restrict it to 33bhp that way it's legal i.e. if you buy a Yamaha R6 at 17, you can restrict it to 33bhp making it legal to ride.

ReputationRep:
    mopeds generally i think are dangerous, as you are far smaller engine than anything else so unable to accelerate out of the way of danger, and overtaking. this isnt helps by the idiots on mopeds who cut people out, swerve over the road, dont follow road laws.

Often cars sit behind i think as they want to be at the speed limit, which many mopeds struggle with

Plus them going on the A12 and just about doing 30mph.. sitting right in the edge of the lane, meaning lorries have to overtake. they swerve in the wind, and cause enormous queues. That would be what really annoys me, like the lads who come round my bike at lights and cut infront of me so i cant get past them and do the speed limit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieArun)
    16 - restricted to 50cc ONLY.

Also when you're 17 you can buy ANY Motorbike and restrict it to 33bhp that way it's legal i.e. if you buy a Yamaha R6 at 17, you can restrict it to 33bhp making it legal to ride.
    But i doubt you'll get it insured

And you need to do the test both theory and practical to ride it

ReputationRep:
    no retest required.

only if you've passed your test....

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.