Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

how much luggage will you be bringing with you the day you move? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieee91)
    6 boxes?!! I think I'll probably have 2, 3 max, boxes of shoes and bags..
    It was stupid and i wont be taking that many again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eimky)
    I'm going overseas :eek: People who can just take carloads up are lucky. I'll have to fit everything into 2/3 suitcase loads plus handluggage. Mission impossible!
    Me too. I'm thinking of mailing things to myself. I read somethinng on my uni's website about them storing things for you if you mail them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarafm)
    Me too. I'm thinking of mailing things to myself. I read somethinng on my uni's website about them storing things for you if you mail them.
    Yeah there's some new stuff I need, like a tennis racket and hairdryer that I might just order when I'm over there and get delivered to the college. Save a bit of space!

ReputationRep:
    full cars worth

ReputationRep:
    At least 2 big luggages.
    Clothes, including sports wear, some books, decoration stuff... I must admit that I haven't thought of it yet- I will drive my parent's car, my mum is coming with me (or the car would be gone for at least 3 months ) and I'm quite confident that my stuff isn't that much.. I won't start shopping in Great Britain on the first day if Germany is cheaper, apart from a university-tshirt

ReputationRep:
    I'll be filling my little car up as much as I possibly can, I live about an hour and a half/2 hours drive from my uni so not toooo bad. Although I don't want to take too much because I'll have to lug it all home again at some point!

ReputationRep:
    15KG's worth, damn ryanair

I get a carry on of 10KG, so I'll try to work something out that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tim131)
    15KG's worth, damn ryanair

I get a carry on of 10KG, so I'll try to work something out that way.
    Yeah damn ryanair!
    That is why I finally decided to drive the car (up to 8 hours minimum) instead of go by plane (50 minutes + 1hour busdrive stansted->uni; lol.).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindath)
    Yeah damn ryanair!
    That is why I finally decided to drive the car (up to 8 hours minimum) instead of go by plane (50 minutes + 1hour busdrive stansted->uni; lol.).
    lol, yeah they're a good airline if you've not got to bring stuff with you, otherwise they're a pain.

I would so drive if there was a bridge from Ireland to the UK ah well, until then I'll have to make do with flying :P

8 hours is going to be a pain in the arse :eek: I've never been still anywhere for that long, would drive me mad

ReputationRep:
    As much as I can fit in the car, i'm only going 1.5 hours away so not too bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tim131)
    lol, yeah they're a good airline if you've not got to bring stuff with you, otherwise they're a pain.

I would so drive if there was a bridge from Ireland to the UK ah well, until then I'll have to make do with flying :P

8 hours is going to be a pain in the arse :eek: I've never been still anywhere for that long, would drive me mad
    What about the ferry? It's probably more costly than flying, but surely it's worth it if it means you get to bring more stuff with you?

Anyway, I'm gonna bring laptop, a variety of clothes (including a coat!), five or six pairs of shoes, a few course-relevant books (e.g. French and German dictionaries, languagey books generally), other typical things...

However, I am not really sure of the size of the room I'm gonna get. So it's difficult to gauge what will fit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanillaCat)
    What about the ferry? It's probably more costly than flying, but surely it's worth it if it means you get to bring more stuff with you?
    I thought of that, but its fairly impractical. Train to Dublin, Train to Belfast, Ferry to Scotland, then train to Aberdeen, it would take an age and be fair expensive, so I'm happy enough taking the plane, I just wont pack that much, I only really need clothes and a few books.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be bringing LOTS of stuff, ha. I'm taking:

- box(es) of clothes/shoes/accessories incl. fancy dress stuff, formal & sports attire etc
    - sheets, bedding, some cushions etc
    - makeup, perfume & electronics i.e. hair dryer, straighteners, iPod speakers (& iPod), laptop etc
    - SOME pans and that sort of thing, i.e. a baking tray, frying pan, a mug or two, etttcc
    - alcohol. obvs.
    - possibly some sort of storage unit on the cheap from argos/ikea
    - paperwork i.e. passport, student loan stuff bla bla
    I think that's about it. I'll be traveling via the boat so the car will be full to say the least. I'll be able to buy cutlery, pans and the rest over there to save me hauling it over, and so I also don't bring what everyone else already has. Think that's it really.

ReputationRep:
    So far I've planned

- A backpack full of the documents I need, one or two useful reference books, many fiction books, posters, my laptop, stationary and some little things like my calculator and nintendo DS.
    - Handbag for the tiny things that'll get lost otherwise (phone, wallet, mp3 player etc.)
    - 2 suitcases for clothes, shoes, make up, cables for all my electrical stuff, toiletries, sewing kit, glasses case, and so on and so on.

Going catered, so won't need much in the way of kitchen items - will probably bring a kettle, mug, and coffee. Leaving the geetar and amp behind for at least the first term since I barely use it anyway. Will either bring a bag for bedding stuff or buy it when I get there - probably the latter.

I'll probably attempt to go on the train, so I'm trying not to bring -too- much.

ReputationRep:
    I have to take everything in my room in Bolton and put it into my room in Manchester, as my brother is moving into my room at home as soon as I'm out (we're talking 4 or 5 car-fulls!). Luckily, my university room is bigger than my home room, and I only live 30 minutes from Manchester.

EDIT: I'd better point out I'm moving into private student houseshare and not halls!

ReputationRep:
    A carfull =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    i thought the right grammar was pieces of luggage

not luggages
    it's funny when grammar nazi's sound stupid

ReputationRep:
    I'm only 40 minutes away so I'll take clothes, pans and crockery, laptop, ipod + speakers, posters, some books, hairdryer, straighteners, shoes, bags, makeup, documents and a mini kettle I pack light haha

But if I forget something I can go home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ofmontreal_Lottie)
    it's funny when grammar nazi's sound stupid

I did not get that lol

ReputationRep:
    Too much probably, I already have boxes and boxes of stuff packed up, and that's not the stuff i'm still actually using at home....

I get the feeling that I may need to buy additional storage...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.