Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how much luggage will you be bringing with you the day you move? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To all the people who are saying 'as much as I can fit in the car', I would seriously advise against that. You WILL acquire lots more stuff during the year, and you WILL have problems taking it all home when it comes to moving out time. Also to the person who said they were bringing two car loads - why?! You do realise how small uni rooms actually are, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    I have to move my stuff by Transit van... i honestly dont know why i have so much stuff
    Spoiler:
    Show

That was only half of my stuff
    GAAAH!!!

And i always tend to move into flats with lots of stairs! :rollseyes:

ReputationRep:
    When I was reading this, I'm thinking WHY DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE SO MUCH STUFF TO BRING?!

But last night I was making a list of what to bring, and I'm not too sure if my polo can take it!

(Original post by Charlski)
    To all the people who are saying 'as much as I can fit in the car', I would seriously advise against that. You WILL acquire lots more stuff during the year, and you WILL have problems taking it all home when it comes to moving out time. Also to the person who said they were bringing two car loads - why?! You do realise how small uni rooms actually are, don't you?
    Why would you acquire lots more stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    Why would you acquire lots more stuff?

You'd be surprised. When I went to uni, I was convinced that I had everything I needed. However, through the year I found there were things which I needed and had to buy - stuff like more cooking equipment, books, DVDs etc, lamps (my room was lighted by a strip light - not something I could live with!). Things like notes and handouts also will take up more space than you might anticipate. Also clothes. I do not believe for a minute that anyone goes through the year without buying more clothes, or bringing more from home, eg coats for the winter. The number of my friends who, having managed to bring all their things by one car in September, found they couldn't begin to fit it all into the same car in May was absurd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berrylover)
    1 box with folders from sixth form (to use as refernce in work) , 1 box with kitchen stuff, 1 box with medicines and toliteries (no more calling mum to tell her to pick me up some medicine) , dont know if im gonna carry my clothes and shoes in a suitcase or boxes yet, 1 box with handbags, 1 box with make up and accessories and another box with reading books.

god thats a lot. don't know if it will all fit into my dad's car so might have to take my mum's as well. its only a 45mins to 1hr drive anyways.

forgot my laptop, printer , speakers and dvd's
    You won't need the notes from sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    Bah screw it, I know that if I don't pack something I will inevitably need it at some point, and it's too long a drive to keep on popping back home, lol.
    Take one car to uni and two cars back from, lol....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A few boxes and a few suitcases. I wouldn't worry. I was panicing in my first year that I'd brought too much but people we're literally bringing office chairs and small stacks of drawers. Take what you think you'll need. There is nothing worse than getting there a realising that you've left something you wanted behind.

ReputationRep:
    Suitcase full of Clothes
    Bov for Tv
    Small box for video games
    Box or two for Cutlery and Plates and pans.
    Box full of pastas, sauces, Soup, and the like

Thats pretty much it I think

ReputationRep:
    Soap and a toothbrush..

No on a more serious note, a transit vans worth of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I wish there was some way I could see my actual halls room before I move in so that I can see what kind of storagey things I need to bring. Like extra drawers n stuff...hmmm...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The standard rooms have plenty of space from what I saw but are lacking somewhat in storage. I'd bring a few of those plastic boxes.

The ensuites have a three drawer thing, lots of shelves and a wardrobe but I'm still bringing some underbed storage and some boxes to go under the desk. Trust me, when it comes to taking it all home you'll be greatfull!! In ensuite I'd get a rack or something if you have lots of bottles of stuff.

I hate packing for uni, it always seems to double because I work out what I'm taking then realise I've gotta take the duvet and the kitchen stuff...

ReputationRep:
    I think the current plan is to come by train so that limits the amount....
    Though parents and brother want to come and help so of course they will be used a luggage carrying slaves increasing fourfold what I could take myself :p:

ReputationRep:
    I will be taking:
    ''Two pieces of luggage no larger than the size of a medium suitcase and weighing no more than 20kg each''
    (National Express regulations)
    ... and then going back up to The Mother's house the next day to repeat
    Yay for moving out without help!

ReputationRep:
    My advice is to get those vacuum storage bags for your clothes - means you can fit loads more in the car/suitcase, and can store big winter clothes/fancy dress/spare bedding under the bed when not needed.

The biggest, most awkward thing I have is my old record player + speakers - huuuuuge and heavy. Not to mention the record collection. I've culled it down to around 50 albums but it's still so heavy! Though at least, if my assumptions are correct, I think I'm on the ground floor this year, so hopefully no stairs to contend with!

ReputationRep:
    As much as I can get on the plane to Aberdeen... and carry at the other end lol. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I'll be taking a whole car full of things, probably containing boxes, bags and those vaccumn packed bag thingies.

ReputationRep:
    so far got plasic boxes full of kitchen stuff and stationary and bedding. been shopping for new clothes today. getting a laptop tomorrow.and various other things that are required i will get during the week. will probs have 1/2 cases of clothes. woop woop 8 days till i move in. i love my dads credit card

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping not too much, though I dont have a clue what I'm taking yet.

Obv clothes, TV, DVD player and i-Pod speakers. Would also like to take all my books but I have hundreds and I doubt i'll have the storage space for them... Will prob manage with 2 suitcases & my book shelf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by destination unknown)
    For me, it will be 4 big luggages:o: (and 3 boxes + 2 bag packs)

too much?
    Oh My Gosh. Hope you get insurance because girl..or boy..that alots of clothes!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.