Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    About a year ago I stopped playing cello. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy playing the instrument but my teacher wasn't very nice and the lessons interrupted my school work far too much leaving my grades to plummet.

Recently I've been thinking of taking it up again but privately (I.E. No lessons or self teaching, meaning I would have to buy a cello rather than rent one which is what I did before)
    However, I have become quite interested in playing something VERY similar to cello, such as 4 string bass guitar (If I got one I'd probably have to retune it to drop-C because of what I'm used to). I'll probably go and try one out in the local music shop at the weekend to get a feel for it and see if I like it or not.

So musical people of TSR, I was hoping you would be able to give me some insight into this dilemma. Pros and cons of playing each? Also I do not own any instruments at all (Unless you count the spoons) so it is not an issue of "I already have this but want this"

Some help would be lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccy94)
    About a year ago I stopped playing cello. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy playing the instrument but my teacher wasn't very nice and the lessons interrupted my school work far too much leaving my grades to plummet.

Recently I've been thinking of taking it up again but privately (I.E. No lessons or self teaching, meaning I would have to buy a cello rather than rent one which is what I did before)
    However, I have become quite interested in playing something VERY similar to cello, such as 4 string bass (If I got one I'd probably have to retune it to drop-C because of what I'm used to). I'll probably go and try one out in the local music shop at the weekend to get a feel for it and see if I like it or not.

So musical people of TSR, I was hoping you would be able to give me some insight into this dilemma. Pros and cons of playing each? Also I do not own any instruments at all (Unless you count the spoons) so it is not an issue of "I already have this but want this"

Some help would be lovely
    If you got a bass, it would just seem like a travesty to me that you were going to retune it. Don't make it what you're used to, you have to get used to it, else there's no point in buying one. I just don't get why you'd do that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    If you got a bass, it would just seem like a travesty to me that you were going to retune it. Don't make it what you're used to, you have to get used to it, else there's no point in buying one. I just don't get why you'd do that...
    I see what you mean, I suppose after a year of not playing it wouldn't make much difference either. Also, it would be different from the cello anyway in terms of finger placement.

Haha, didn't think that bit through really did I? :P

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean, I suppose after a year of not playing it wouldn't make much difference either. Also, it would be different from the cello anyway in terms of finger placement.

Haha, didn't think that bit through really did I? :P
    Nope!

Just remember that transporting a bass is a complete pain in the arse, and purchasing one... Well, for a decent one, unless you're lucky, you're looking at a good couple of grand at least. I'd make sure you're totally committed before you even think of getting one.

Finger placement is definitely different. I can't get used to the cello, although I might try and have lessons when I have the cash, as I took to the bass really quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Nope!

Just remember that transporting a bass is a complete pain in the arse, and purchasing one... Well, for a decent one, unless you're lucky, you're looking at a good couple of grand at least. I'd make sure you're totally committed before you even think of getting one.

Finger placement is definitely different. I can't get used to the cello, although I might try and have lessons when I have the cash, as I took to the bass really quickly.
    Transportation isn't really an issue, I doubt it would be going far (and if it was it would be in a car :p: ) but I'm pretty sure transporting a cello is harder. (Provided we're both talking about bass guitars here and NOT double bass but now I look at the price you've given I think thats what we're discussing now XD).
    Anywho, I'm going to have a scout around the local music shop(s? I don't think we have more than 1) and try out a few different ones, compare prices from the internet too and all that jazz. I probably won't even get one for a few years when I have some money but I'm looking to make my descision early so I can keep thinking about it until I have the money.

ReputationRep:
    Transportation isn't really an issue, I doubt it would be going far (and if it was it would be in a car :p: ) but I'm pretty sure transporting a cello is harder. (Provided we're both talking about bass guitars here and NOT double bass like my parents thought XD).
    Anywho, I'm going to have a scout around the local music shop(s? I don't think we have more than 1) and try out a few different ones, compare prices from the internet too and all that jazz. I probably won't even get one for a few years when I have some money but I'm looking to make my descision early so I can keep thinking about it until I have the money.
    Ah, see I'm talking double bass, here.
    But even then, they're really different to playing a cello. I played bass for a while, too, and it's fairly difficult to get a grasp of, I think. I can do it, but you have to work your way around the whol playing it sideways instead of upwards thing...

ReputationRep:
    Haha sorry about that little misunderstanding XD

Yeah the playing it sideways thing may take a bit of getting used to. Although I did play the guitar for about 2 months so I'm not exactly, uncomfortable with that. I think it would be weird not having a bow though XD

ReputationRep:
    as others have said, don't retune it

i had lessons on clarinet through my school and it was massively impractical on sooo many levels what with missing lessons, carrying the instrument around, the lessons being so short and randomly placed, pressure to play in school bands on a regular basis plus after school etc etc

when i got private lessons for the instruments i play, the progress i made was massively significant in comparison to the above

so if you're serious about playing an instrument and playing it well, if you can afford it, tis well worth owning an instrument and attending private lessons...many private lessons can be more structured around the individual learner too which is great

also, many music shops do an instrument rental scheme if this is of any help although if you want to do this long term, it may be worth looking at a second hand instrument

good luck

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find playing bass vastly different to playing a cello.
    Different strings, much thicker underneath the fingers, playing sideways feels really uncomfortable (for me anyway) when you're used to playing cello, there's no bow...
    So I wouldn't recommend tuning it differently.
    Apart from having 4 strings, and being in the bass clef,... I don't think it's really comparable in terms of playing it.
    However, it's a good place to start if you want to take up another instrument.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.