Turn on thread page Beta

I regret staying onto my school's sixth form now... watch

ReputationRep:
    I just realised that most of the people from secondary school are going to be there. I want to meet new people and go somewhere totally different, instead of seeing the same people and teachers again. I know that there are going to be some externals but not that many.

First time poster, long time lurker, so be gentle

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but what did you expect??
    A lot of people will like the security in being in a place where they know very well. Only reason I left for another sixth form was because my school shut down :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucozadeMan)
    I just realised that most of the people from secondary school are going to be there. I want to meet new people and go somewhere totally different, instead of seeing the same people and teachers again. I know that there are going to be some externals but not that many.

First time poster, long time lurker, so be gentle
    I feel EXACTLY the same way
    When I first decided to stay (mainly because I couldn't be bothered to apply anywhere else) I thought most of the people in our school would be leaving (because they all said they were) and now, most of them say they're staying!
    But I like my teachers though, so I'm fine with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaara.)
    Sorry but what did you expect??
    A lot of people will like the security in being in a place where they know very well.
    that's the only reason why I finally decided to stay on, even my teachers were telling me and convincing me to stay since the other sixth forms and colleges around the area aren't that good. I wish I just took a risk and went somewhere else...>.<

ReputationRep:
    But is your sixth form good?
    I would rather stay in the school where I know I will recieve good teaching and get good grades, than meet new people.
    That is what university is for

ReputationRep:
    too late now.
    wait till you go to uni to meet people.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a 6th form where I knew I wouldn't know anyone, and it was a rubbish decision.
    Yes, I did meet a lot of new people, but none I particularly liked, and the school was terrible.
    Wish I'd just gone to the same one as everyone else, and not tried to be different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by =) =) =))
    I feel EXACTLY the same way
    When I first decided to stay (mainly because I couldn't be bothered to apply anywhere else) I thought most of the people in our school would be leaving (because they all said they were) and now, most of them say they're staying!
    But I like my teachers though, so I'm fine with it
    so would you say that in the end it paid off? the teachers are pretty good and they've supported me. quick funny story to tell you, the headteacher of my school and two other senior teachers pressured me in the headteachers office to make me stay on lol :P

But is your sixth form good?
    I would rather stay in the school where I know I will recieve good teaching and get good grades, than meet new people.
    That is what university is for
    yeah but sometimes I feel bored and wish I could meet new people and stuff. the sixth form claims that it's one of the best in London, but meh, a lot of them say that to get people haha

ReputationRep:
    Better the devil you know...

Just think, you could have gone to a different one, where everyone knew each other and made no effort to get to know you. You would have been isolated with no friends.

ReputationRep:
    But going to a new sixth form doesn't guarantee great new friends, and never being bored though. Better to stay somewhere you know everything about and everyone too. If your head pressured you to stay, then he/she obviously thinks you are a good student and not worth losing, and maybe he/she cares about your education if the sixth form is one of the best in london.

ReputationRep:
    I was in your shoes last year, i wanted a fresh start - with brand new people and teachers, now im plodding along with regrets as i now wish i had stayed on at my old 6form, i did'nt realise how much i fitted in perfectly and now ive lost contact with alot of friends.

my advice is that if you find you enjoy the secondary school now, and are happy there, stay on! i knew i was taking a chance going to somewere completely new and now i wish i had listened 2 my insticts. I understand after 5years of the same place same people u long 4 an exciting change, but sometimes going somewere new does'nt quite liv up 2 ur expectations (as in my case)
    Make the best of it, its only 2 years, Goodluck !

ReputationRep:
    so would you say that in the end it paid off? the teachers are pretty good and they've supported me. quick funny story to tell you, the headteacher of my school and two other senior teachers pressured me in the headteachers office to make me stay on lol :P
    Well, I'm not sure yet, seeing as I'm starting my sixth form in september

:eek: Really, your teachers did that to you? That is seriously weird...the senior teachers did the same thing to me! Though not in the headteachers office, they did it during the interview (she wouldn't let me leave until I'd promised that I'd stay!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondi)
    I was in your shoes last year, i wanted a fresh start - with brand new people and teachers, now im plodding along with regrets as i now wish i had stayed on at my old 6form, i did'nt realise how much i fitted in perfectly and now ive lost contact with alot of friends.

my advice is that if you find you enjoy the secondary school now, and are happy there, stay on! i knew i was taking a chance going to somewere completely new and now i wish i had listened 2 my insticts. I understand after 5years of the same place same people u long 4 an exciting change, but sometimes going somewere new does'nt quite liv up 2 ur expectations (as in my case)
    Make the best of it, its only 2 years, Goodluck !
    heh, true. the people there are nice and I get along with them really well. but it's just that I've known them for long and even though they're still all good and I speak/see them regularly, I wish they could share the same interests as me and I could get to know them on a deeper level.

but then again, that outweights the thought of me not getting along well with the newer people and the college not turning out as good as I thought.

Well, I'm not sure yet, seeing as I'm starting my sixth form in september

:eek: Really, your teachers did that to you? That is seriously weird...the senior teachers did the same thing to me! Though not in the headteachers office, they did it during the interview (she wouldn't let me leave until I'd promised that I'd stay!)
    haha yeah, totally. they even took me out of a lesson for 10 minutes for it. I wouldn't really consider myself a really smart person but I was in set 1 for all the classes (barely ) maybe they both like us or something

well lets both hope that our sixth form is going to be good

But going to a new sixth form doesn't guarantee great new friends, and never being bored though. Better to stay somewhere you know everything about and everyone too. If your head pressured you to stay, then he/she obviously thinks you are a good student and not worth losing, and maybe he/she cares about your education if the sixth form is one of the best in london.
    yeah...I guess. too bad he's leaving in December haha.

btw, is there a list or something that has the best sixth forms in London?

ReputationRep:
    yeah...I guess. too bad he's leaving in December haha.

btw, is there a list or something that has the best sixth forms in London?
    http://search.bbc.co.uk/search?scope...ry&q=&x=1&y=15

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    too late now.
    wait till you go to uni to meet people.
    :ditto:

You've only got another year!

I used to think this, but some of the externals aren't so bad.. so get to know them. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    hmm, at my sixth form, we join with the girls at the other school, but the BBC website don't have them down together as one. :/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...l/316_4600.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...l/316_4601.stm

it looks good from what I can tell?

ReputationRep:

haha yeah, totally. they even took me out of a lesson for 10 minutes for it. I wouldn't really consider myself a really smart person but I was in set 1 for all the classes (barely ) maybe they both like us or something

well lets both hope that our sixth form is going to be good

Whoa, all they did was corner me at break :p: They must like you more! I'm in set 1 for all subjects too, but our school is basically average (which was the reason they wanted me to stay). We have really good sixth forms/colleges around us, and all of the smart students go to those schools. Is your school good?

I hope so! If not, we can both rant on TSR!

Btw, I love your username! I have been known to drink around 5 bottles of lucozade per day, and sing about the lucozade on buses Yeah, people usually think I'm mad :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Whoa, all they did was corner me at break :p: They must like you more! I'm in set 1 for all subjects too, but our school is basically average (which was the reason they wanted me to stay). We have really good sixth forms/colleges around us, and all of the smart students go to those schools. Is your school good?

I hope so! If not, we can both rant on TSR!

Btw, I love your username! I have been known to drink around 5 bottles of lucozade per day, and sing about the lucozade on buses Yeah, people usually think I'm mad :cool:
    damn, I posted the link to my school and sixth form like 10 minutes ago but then it said something about a moderator wanting to read it or something. it said it would be posted in a few minutes but looks like it's not posted yet :/

I don't think my school is good but who does? haha. some of my teachers couldn't even teach properly, especially science and french. French I probably failed along with the rest of my class.

Lucozade is good, I used to start off every morning with a bottle of it. It made me :woo: every day =D

ReputationRep:
    let me see if I can repost it. in sixth form, my school and a girl school join up but the BBC doesn't seem to have the sixth form centre together.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...l/316_4601.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...l/316_4600.stm

ReputationRep:
    The dynamics, and the people there, change loads in sixth form. Well, they did for me anyway. I think you'll find it different from school before. It depends on your school on how many externals you get, so I can't really comment on that, but I'd just encourage you to go into it with an open mind, even if you don't meet new people you might make new friends in your classes

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.