Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After seeing people's posts about their student debts of 21k it scared me, and made me wonder how muche xtra are livign costs and general costs in London?

I'd like to study in London, but it seems oh so expensive.

Thanks for any replies.

ReputationRep:
    It is quite a bit more expensive. You can live cheaply, but living cheaply in London is like living normally elsewhere, or at least in my experiences.

I am a third year student living in West London. I pay approx £500 month rent for a room in a decent semi-detached house in Acton that came without furniture. And speaking to my friends and from looking around when getting my place that seems about standard.

Halls were £4500ish for the 32weeks (or there abouts)

Expect to pay £3 for a pint outside of a weatherspoons. Clubs are more expensive, a student night is the price of a regular night outside of London.

There are exceptions, but this is the general rule.

Including rent I need about £10000 a year to live, but I do splash out every now and again.

But..... It is worth it! I love London. It is worth the extra money. No where else in the UK is there so much stuff within an hours tube ride. Busses to anywhere you want. Travel is quite reasonable at £20ish for a weekly travel card (depending on zone)

And all my costs are based on West London (Acton + Chiswick + Hammersmith) I am told that East London is cheaper, if not as nice and not as easy to get to from my college.

If you have any more questions I am happy to answer them.

Where abouts in London were you thinking of living / studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshJGordon)
    It is quite a bit more expensive. You can live cheaply, but living cheaply in London is like living normally elsewhere, or at least in my experiences.

I am a third year student living in West London. I pay approx £500 month rent for a room in a decent semi-detached house in Acton that came without furniture. And speaking to my friends and from looking around when getting my place that seems about standard.

Expect to pay £3 for a pint outside of a weatherspoons. Clubs are more expensive, a student night is the price of a regular night outside of London.

Including rent I need about £10000 a year to live, but I do splash out every now and again.

But..... It is worth it! I love London. It is worth the extra money. No where else in the UK is there so much stuff within an hours tube ride. Busses to anywhere you want. Travel is quite reasonable at £20ish for a weekly travel card (depending on zone)

And all my costs are based on West London (Acton + Chiswick + Hammersmith) I am told that East London is cheaper, if not as nice and not as easy to get to from my college.

Thank you for that, very much appreciated.

I am thinking of studying in Borough area, but not sure where i would be living, but it is a 4 year course, so that would add up.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if i have any more questions, your answer was very comprehensive, which was great.

ReputationRep:
    London can often be not significantly more expensive than many other cities- however there is often a trade off. For £400ish a month you can live in a pretty plush part of virtually any city of the UK, and have the luxury of a short walk into university. In London, that'll probably get you somewhere relatively far out with a sizeable commute when you have to be on campus. KCL once quoted me up to £180 a week if I wanted to be within a 20 minute walk of the War Studies dept- thats 80 a week more than Oxford and £100 a week more than Glasgow for the same kind of distance. Food/going out costs can be kept down if you're sensible, but personally I wouldn't spend the extra required in order to be in a good area, nor would I be prepared to spend the same money as elsewhere and still have a 30min+ train ride to contend with every day. Each to their own though, its a fantastic city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    Thank you for that, very much appreciated.

I am thinking of studying in Borough area, but not sure where i would be living, but it is a 4 year course, so that would add up.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if i have any more questions, your answer was very comprehensive, which was great.
    You can give me one of those little 'rep' points people go on about then. I am new here and they look snazzy.

I don't know where the Borough area is, but I am sure you will sort something out. it is affordable, just not cheap, and like the guy above said, there are often some compromises to be made. But I have never regretted living here, no matter how much debt I have gotten into.

ReputationRep:
    You can give me one of those little 'rep' points people go on about then. I am new here and they look snazzy.

I don't know where the Borough area is, but I am sure you will sort something out. it is affordable, just not cheap, and like the guy above said, there are often some compromises to be made. But I have never regretted living here, no matter how much debt I have gotten into.
    His rep is in the red (he's probably been naughty :ninja:), so it won't be worth anything- check TSR FAQ for more info on how these work. Until you've 100 or so posts and your own rep is above a certain number, you won't be able to give out rep that'll make any difference to other users. The higher the users rep, the more points they have to give out.

But since your answer was a good one, I'll get you on your way. :yep:

ReputationRep:

I'm considering a move to London. From what I read £500 a month seems pretty cheap for that area. I take it that doesn't include any bills/tax? Was unfurnished though.

@ OP: London is definitely worth it though. Don't think about it in terms of everything costing more, just that you'll have to live somewhere smaller or less central than you would elsewhere. And maybe not spend as much on non-essentials; I'm a tight tee-totaling git anyway though

ReputationRep:

Borough is SE1. You know, big old market, by London Bridge station, near City Hall, Seone nightclub, etc.

OP - I lived on a council estate in Kentish Town last year, rent was £90/week, and transport costs about £12/week. My weekly shop at Sainsbury's came to just under £20.
    Entertainment is expensive, yeah, but it's better. My union bar isn't bad, though, £1.50 for everything on a Saturday night. No real ales though.
    You have your local Spoons as well, which is £2.30 for a pint of lager so A-OK. There's also two Scream pubs quite close to each other near Euston station, ideal for UCL students. Alcohol is even cheaper there.

If you want a decent club night, at say Fabric, go to the off licence and indulge in a bit of pre-lash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by o-e-s-j)
    I'm considering a move to London. From what I read £500 a month seems pretty cheap for that area. I take it that doesn't include any bills/tax? Was unfurnished though.
    £500 a month is just for my room, or 1/4 of the house might be a better way to look at it. It is £2000 a month for the house, but it is a pretty nice place (by student standards).

The best thing to do is just have a look round on the net to see what sort of price you will be looking at. Primelocation.com I remember being a decent, if awkward to use, site.

It was unfurnished, would have been £2300 a month approx if it was furnished i think, we were given the option, and we worked out that over the 2 years we will be there that it was cheaper to buy our own stuff even if we just chuck it out at the end.

No bills and I am student so don't pay council tax. Also does not include parking fines!

Acton is a nice place if you are thinking of West London, is reasonable in itself, and is just around the corner from Chiswickwhich is a very nice and much more expensive place to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    His rep is in the red (he's probably been naughty :ninja:), so it won't be worth anything- check TSR FAQ for more info on how these work. Until you've 100 or so posts and your own rep is above a certain number, you won't be able to give out rep that'll make any difference to other users. The higher the users rep, the more points they have to give out.

But since your answer was a good one, I'll get you on your way. :yep:
    Cheers.

*Goes to read FAQ now*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    OP - I lived on a council estate in Kentish Town last year, rent was £90/week
    How did you find out about that? All the stuff around there I've seen is £140++

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    How did you find out about that? All the stuff around there I've seen is £140++
    It was a UCL hall. Short end of the stick being that far out in first year, but not dear at all for London :awesome:

One bed and studios round there will generally be around that price. I can whittle it down to £95 for Kentish Town for 4 beds, and £107 for Camden.

ReputationRep:
    I need a 2 bed flat in Camden/Kentish town area, but looking at prices will probably have to stay out in Holloway Can't spend more than £130 per week excl bills £150 incl (has to be 2 bed, not those sneeky ads that state "2 person" then say sharing or double or convert living room)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    I need a 2 bed flat in Camden/Kentish town area, but looking at prices will probably have to stay out in Holloway Can't spend more than £130 per week excl bills £150 incl (has to be 2 bed, not those sneeky ads that state "2 person" then say sharing or double or convert living room)
    We're putting our telly in the kitchen :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    hey .. is there any plans or cards/programs that you can sing in.. for the underground ? its less expensive if i pay monthly an amount ???

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.