Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether this is a good idea/how useful you, my peers, will find it, but I think it might help me, and I hope it might help you!

My idea is this. For students of English and Related Literature (Q300 or combined), this is a thread where we can chat about our progress with the reading list over the summer, and begin discussing our thoughts about the themes, subjects, characterisation, and all that good stuff.

I guess my vision of it is a little like a support group, and a little like an imperative to keep going (for your sake, I hope you're not as good a procrastinator as I! I have an A* in procrastination, me!)

How about it?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds lovely! A ranting thread! Not that I'm going to rant. I can barely bring myself to pick up my books... :ninja:

I was afraid, for a moment, that I wouldn't be welcome as I'm a joint honours :p: I'm all for it!

ReputationRep:
    Can I begin with a rant that we even have our reading lists so early?

I understand that I need to read them and I am doing (somethings even seem quite interesting) but I'm still resentful of my science-taking friends who don't have to do anything over summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatone)
    Can I begin with a rant that we even have our reading lists so early?

I understand that I need to read them and I am doing (somethings even seem quite interesting) but I'm still resentful of my science-taking friends who don't have to do anything over summer.
    Be thankful you've been given your reading list! I haven't, I think I have to wait until after results!

ReputationRep:
    Looks like it's gonna be a bit of an oestrogen party.. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Does, "My initial impression of Virginia Woolf is that she lets her brain dribble out over her notebooks" count as a rant? xD

I'm quite glad, myself, that we have them so early. I'm not sure how familiar they want us to be with the texts, but as I'm a steady-slow-contemplative rather than a wizzy reader, I find it useful, as I have more time to break them into chunks and pace myself.

@iloveyou - I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I'm happy to share the reading list in case you wanted to familiarise yourself in advance? I don't think there's anything to be LOST in reading bits of it? And... some of the older bits you could probably find in one form or another on Project Gutenberg. :3

ReputationRep:
    :eek: What reading list?

ReputationRep:
    *...donk* iloveyou, I just realised you're going to Royal Holloway and not York - my reading list isn't going to be much use to you. xDD

ReputationRep:
    @dreamer - o 3o The one I got emailed...? Where are you going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaiteafairy)
    Does, "My initial impression of Virginia Woolf is that she lets her brain dribble out over her notebooks" count as a rant? xD

I'm quite glad, myself, that we have them so early. I'm not sure how familiar they want us to be with the texts, but as I'm a steady-slow-contemplative rather than a wizzy reader, I find it useful, as I have more time to break them into chunks and pace myself.

@iloveyou - I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I'm happy to share the reading list in case you wanted to familiarise yourself in advance? I don't think there's anything to be LOST in reading bits of it? And... some of the older bits you could probably find in one form or another on Project Gutenberg. :3
    no worries! hahaha i'll just have to wait in suspense!

ReputationRep:
    What text do people suggest I start with? I read Titus Andronicus ages ago and tried rereading it the other day, but I'm easily distracted and I'm also trying to read other books as well.

I think I'll save Mrs. Dalloway for last. I have little patience for her prose.

Is anyone going to start annotating the texts? Or are we just supposed to read them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moroseblight)
    What text do people suggest I start with? I read Titus Andronicus ages and tried rereading it the other day, but I'm easily distracted and I'm also trying to read other books as well.

I think I'll save Mrs. Dalloway for last. I have little patience for her prose.

Is anyone going to start annotating the texts? Or are we just supposed to read them?
    Beowulf is a really quick read, I read it after Dalloway and the change was such a relief :]

And I don't think we're expected to annotate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaner)
    Beowulf is a really quick read, I read it after Dalloway and the change was such a relief :]

And I don't think we're expected to annotate.
    Thank you! I shall start on it then. Tonight. o_o

And XD No annotations means I can get to slack off. For a little while yet anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I've only read 2 of the books, might start Titus tonight, and I'll probably be pretty slacking towards the collections that they haven't specified from

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, then I'm going to curl up with Beowulf as soon as I've brushed my teeth.

I have to phone my old neighbour - who was a professor at Sussex xD - about Samuel Beckett. He mentioned that he's written a book about him. Perhaps I can have long, intelligent-ish discussions with him once I've read the plays.

*slaps own wrist* I will not go off and read fantasy and steam-punk, I will not go off and read fantasy and steam-punk UNTIL I've finished my reading list.

ReputationRep:
    It's still female city in here! I hope tomorrow will even the odds a tiny bit..

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that the reputation English courses have, though? T oT

Actually, lots of the suppose gender divides between courses seem unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaner)
    It's still female city in here! I hope tomorrow will even the odds a tiny bit..
    You know you really love it :p:

(Original post by Chaiteafairy)
    I have to phone my old neighbour - who was a professor at Sussex xD - about Samuel Beckett. He mentioned that he's written a book about him. Perhaps I can have long, intelligent-ish discussions with him once I've read the plays.
    Ooo, that sounds tres lovely as well as useful. Perhaps you can pass some of the gems from those long, intelligent-ish discussions on to us poor souls?

And did you manage to stay away from the fantasy and steam-punk? I read Sartre's Iron in the Soul last night instead of Beowulf. I now have the latter firmly in front of me, only I'm busy listening to deadmau5. Meh, procrastination. *sighs*

ReputationRep:
    ...I need to get his phone number off my mother and be all, "Hi, great news! We've got more to talk about!"

Argh, I miss having him and his wife as neighbours. My real grandmother - and the only other Big Reader in our family - lives in the Caribbean. My parents aren't exactly... well, they admit they have no experience with these things whatsoever and most of the stuff I spout skims riiight over their scalps.

I've read most of the introduction (I wound up sleeping early last night xD, after doodling), and will get into it more on the train to work.

Think. of. the. money.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve told myself that I’ll start working through the reading list after results day, so I’m procrastinating before I’ve even started *sighs*

I’m sure many would be happy to read Titus from cover to cover, but the Julie Taymor film adaptation with Anthony Hopkins in the title role is quite accessible if you want to supplement your experience. It’s quite quirky and interesting visually but very faithful to the source material. I don’t expect it would be everyone’s cup of tea, but some fantastic, chilling performances make it at least worth a watch ...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.