Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll put the kettle on for lemsip?

My, but the thread's bustling this evening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    The link to my timetable appears to have disappeared as well. Odd. :holmes:
    Phew. Thanks guys, I'll check it tomorrow. According to the site timetables aren't up til the 1st.. maybe you all getting yours is just a cruel joke on me. I better get mine tomorrow or they'll be some fist-shaking!
    p.s. love the Holmes icon!

ReputationRep:
    The link to my timetable appears to have disappeared as well. Odd. :holmes:
    I don't really understand why that's happened. Mine came back exactly the same so there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason for it.

(Original post by Chaiteafairy)

It is rather, isn't it?

I've just started reading Beowulf. I'm quite enjoying it. Tempted to email my seminar tutor & ask what I need to have read for week 2 though.

ReputationRep:

Ah lemsip. Opiate of the masses (with colds..)
    And yes Chaiteafairy, I am looking at you. With one big eye. Well, the other's closed because I'm sneezing.

ReputationRep:
    @Rainbow - Hey you. Well, at least you're reading something? I've been doing sweet fanny adams and growing increasingly guilty over it. I used to read a lot when I was smaller, and I enjoy it when I get started; it's just the, you know, motivation to get started. Stupid mental stumbling blocks.

And then I kick myself for being melodramatic.

Actually, I think listening to Dirk Gently repeatedly has made me pick up his bad habits... Away I muse.

The Beckett plays are alright - I've read all the ones we're supposed to, and am slowly dipping into the others. I read that essay as well, and shoved it under my Dad's nose. His response was: "I don't blame you if you drop out."

...Don't look at me Jeramis, I wasn't even aware we have groups. I've got my timetable (and as soon as I locate some printer paper, will print!)
    Haha, you sound like me! I have no motivation whatsoever, and so have a habit of reading nothing that I'm supposed to be reading, then picking up a text in blind panic, getting quite a lot of it read and finally realising that I took absolutely nothing in. So then I move my bookmark back to where it was before the aforementioned panic-age and repeat the process. It's especially bad if I really dislike a text, like how I was with Mrs Dalloway. It took me so long to read... It's not good for productivity.

I really like Beckett. I sort of wish we were studying Godot, but n'aw well.

edit: HOPEFULLY all my early morning starts vanish along with my timetable...?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea, Archly. Is the seminar tutor listed on the timetable as well? That's the person down in the bottom corner, I take it.

I'm in group 13.

...I'm excited for Hallowe'en.

ReputationRep:
    Oi! I don't even like the stuff - I'm an old fashioned hot honey and lemon sort of girl. When I was in New Zealand, and I had this wretched cold, we used lemons from the tree in the front garden, and honey the owners had got in a trade for a bag of manure, to make the drink.

Ah Rainbow! I'm sorry to hear it. I have good intentions, I really do, and I reckon half the problem's in my head (I build it into a bigger deal than it is), and I still get it done, and get good marks, but that doesn't stop me worrying my damned white cotton socks off about it! And to think I ALWAYS did my homework the night I got it when I was in year seven...

ReputationRep:
    That's my problem. I don't think I would ever do anything like that (that being starting homework the night of it being given, etc) because I have a biiigggg laziness and procrastination streak. Oh well.

Lemsip never works for me.

ReputationRep:
    The main thing that puts my nose out of joint when it comes to colds is the sinus pain. I can stagger boldly one with a cough or sore throat, but if I have sinus pain (and if fever prevents me from getting a good night's sleep), I'm a lost cause. Sudafed makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea, Archly. Is the seminar tutor listed on the timetable as well? That's the person down in the bottom corner, I take it.

I'm in group 13.

...I'm excited for Hallowe'en.
    Yeah, I think so. I imagine we'll all be doing the books in the same order though so I guess someone'll let us know. (I say that because we all have our lectures together so unless the lectures are massively general you'd expect them to focus on the same books as the seminars.)

edit: HOPEFULLY all my early morning starts vanish along with my timetable...?
    You never know. It does say at the top that all timetables are massively provisional and may be changed by the department.

ReputationRep:
    afaksfashkgjagv I just remembered, I need to ask about dictaphones, and track one down if we are allowed.

ReputationRep:
    afaksfashkgjagv I just remembered, I need to ask about dictaphones, and track one down if we are allowed.
    I have one... but it's really not that good. I'd check that you'd be able to hear everything on it before I bought one, if I were you. I think permissions will be down to the individual as well. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archly)
    I have one... but it's really not that good. I'd check that you'd be able to hear everything on it before I bought one, if I were you. I think permissions will be down to the individual as well. :yes:
    ordered one today - it comes with a programme that transcribes the whole thing! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    The dragon thingy software? My Dad's one does something similar, but now he's concerned it's too expensive and will get nicked. So I'm going to track down a cheaper version. x)

ReputationRep:
    The dragon thingy software? My Dad's one does something similar, but now he's concerned it's too expensive and will get nicked. So I'm going to track down a cheaper version. x)
    ahhh, there's a cheaper version :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super-emily)
    ordered one today - it comes with a programme that transcribes the whole thing! :woo:
    Oh wow. What kind is it? Mine's a fairly basic one.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow. What kind is it? Mine's a fairly basic one.
    it's called dragon speaking, mark 10! it's the mark 10 that makes it really :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It comes with its very own portable dragon!

I'll look out for the mark ten bit as well, then.

ReputationRep:
    I just got an email with an attachment containing a list of who's in what seminar group. Mine's changed. I'm now with my supervisor. It's going to really suck if we don't get along.

ReputationRep:
    I just got an email with an attachment containing a list of who's in what seminar group. Mine's changed. I'm now with my supervisor. It's going to really suck if we don't get along.

ohhh, I'm going to look....

Edit:

Arg I've looked and I'm not group 9 like I thought!!?!?! Why did I think that! I'm group 3! My whole outlook on life has changed.....:cry:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of York
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of York
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sun, 16 Sep '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.