Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We don't have the undergraduate handbook with module choices, do we? I'm considering panicking about having mislaid something I might not even have. That can't be a good sign.

I'm in group ten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archly)
    Yes, two seminars a week. And, yes, the lectures on the timetable are correct so far as I know. The long one at the end of Friday only happens on weeks 2 & 7 though.
    Ugh! Friday's a *******! Although I would have actually said the five hours in between lectures on tuesday is more horrific. i'm commuting. Yuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaiteafairy)
    We don't have the undergraduate handbook with module choices, do we? I'm considering panicking about having mislaid something I might not even have. That can't be a good sign.

I'm in group ten.
    Nah we don't. We'll probably get that when we visit the department on the 12th to drop our passport photo off and sort out meetings with tutors/supervisors.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. Jolly good then.

Still procrastinating.

Went up to Ikea today to get a few bits and pieces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeramis)
    Ugh! Friday's a *******! Although I would have actually said the five hours in between lectures on tuesday is more horrific. i'm commuting. Yuck.
    I would swap with you if I were allowed. All my contact time is on Tuesday & Friday. Busy days.

I'm in group ten.
    I don't think so. I certainly haven't been sent one. I have something a bit like that from a visit day though.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, even when I tilt my head at the timetable, it seems group 01 has a lot more on their plate than any other group. Am I misunderstanding something here as well? (Sorry for asking so many questions!)

ReputationRep:
    Okay, even when I tilt my head at the timetable, it seems group 01 has a lot more on their plate than any other group. Am I misunderstanding something here as well? (Sorry for asking so many questions!)
    Everyone's in lecture group 01 & has 4-5 lectures a week. Seminar group 1 is a completely different thing. I think we all have 2 seminars a week though. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Archly, you are ah-mazing. I had a hunch that would have to be the case, but, you know... Thank you. : )

ReputationRep:
    Archly, you are ah-mazing. I had a hunch that would have to be the case, but, you know... Thank you. : )
    I just always read the info on the tin. It's easy to doubt that sort of thing though.

How're you doing with the reading list?

ReputationRep:
    Of the compulsory stuff, I've only got to read three of the essays and Titus. I thought it was best not to worry myself too much with the theory books, though I have been dipping in to them. I also thought I'd try my tongue with a few more of the poems. : ) I'd really like to read a few more of the plays, as well!

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow. I feel a little behind now!

I'm reading Beowulf at the moment. Have read the Beckett & some of the non-compulsory stuff but still need to read Dalloway & Titus. I didn't want to read the books early and not study them for three months though. I think I read somewhere that we do something from one of the anthologies first but I might be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading Beowulf too, havn't read the rest though. Should I be panicking yet? :P
    On the positive side of things, I just finished Stephen Fry's autobiography. :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floater)
    I'm reading Beowulf too, havn't read the rest though. Should I be panicking yet? :P
    On the positive side of things, I just finished Stephen Fry's autobiography. :grin:
    Ooh. I love Stephen Fry's autobiography. I've listened to the audiobook of it twice.

I wouldn't panic until you've found out what we'll be doing in our first week. When it turns out to be 400 pages worth & it's halfway through freshers' week then you can freak out. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Ooh. I love Stephen Fry's autobiography. I've listened to the audiobook of it twice.

I wouldn't panic until you've found out what we'll be doing in our first week. When it turns out to be 400 pages worth & it's halfway through freshers' week then you can freak out. :lol:
    Great isn't it, just brimming with honesty and angst.

ReputationRep:
    Great isn't it, just brimming with honesty and angst.
    Yep. I love all the references he makes the books he loves &, yeah, all the really genuine bits you couldn't make up. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Talking about Stephen Fry, I have An Ode Less Traveled. My Dad freaked out that I was writing in my book (I write in most of them, actually, if they're mine), and I had to point out that he positively encourages the practice!

Recalls a line from the Judith Woolf guide, which I'm about half way through: "There's a special circle of Hell reserved for people who write in library books."

AND, when I was at my Grandma's house on the weekend, we had The Antiques Roadshow on in the background, and this fellow brought in a tatty old bible - that was Charlotte Bronte's. I started squeaking, "Can you IMAGINE what fun the critics would have if they got their hands on that! This is immense!"

ReputationRep:
    I love Moab is my Washpot Probably my favourite book. Just to throw that in there!

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow. I feel a little behind now!

I'm reading Beowulf at the moment. Have read the Beckett & some of the non-compulsory stuff but still need to read Dalloway & Titus.
    ...What the heck is the non-compulsory stuff??? Please tell me I haven't been reading that by mistake or something!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeramis)
    ...What the heck is the non-compulsory stuff??? Please tell me I haven't been reading that by mistake or something!
    In my view, reading the anthologies in advance isn't required. Plus, there are recommended critical texts (The Glossary of Literary Terms and that sort of thing) which I don't think we're expected to have read through by the time we arrive. Then there's the wider reading list (which has nothing do to with any taught modules) which is just stuff which it's good to have read as a lit student.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my. I'd kill to have Charlotte Bronte's bible. :sad:

I'm not bothering with the short stories until we get there. I've read the odd one, but I really don't like short stories in general and there's bloody loads of them so I can't will myself to get through them all, especially since York is now only 10 days away (squeeeee!). I just hope it's not the first thing I'm set work on. Frantically trying to get through all those in the first week or two of term would NAHT be fun.

So yeah. I'm leaving the short stories, poetry anthology and little literary reference books for now and getting through everything else. It's the critical essay anthology for me next, I'll probably make a start tonight, and I can't say I'm finding it much of an enticing prospect.

Beowulf's my fave so far... I'm so weird. Hahaha. Beowulf and the Beckett plays are what I'm most looking forward to studying. I've looked at the contents of the poetry anthology and it has some of my most beloved poets in there, so it would be awesome if I was set anything of theirs!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.