Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    It's definitely my favourite area of literary study.
    gotta love a bit of drama though :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    I'm terrible at reading that sort of thing, so nah. I've only read the Shelley and Sidney ones, so I should have said all but two before, but I read the Shelley one too long ago for me to recollect much. Think I read that one two years ago or so. The book is currently next to me though, so I'll aim to get another couple read later tonight.

I fooking hate them, if I'm being honest. Beckett and Beowulf are my firm favourites from the list, and I expect I'll really enjoy whatever poetry my seminar studies from the anthology because I'm a real poetry geek. It's definitely my favourite area of literary study.
    Poetry.:heart:

I have to agree with Emily that I do enjoy a bit of drama, too, though. :yes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm so relieved to see not everyone has read the essay's, and not eveyone has strong opinions on them!

I have managed 2 of them so far, and I doubt I will have time to read of the list before moving... Oh dear :/

Am I the only one who has really enjoyed Titus? I loveeed it Also, looking forwards to the Poetry.. !

ReputationRep:
    I really liked Titus :yep:

It was such a bloodbath! I hadn't read it or too much about it previously but I was aware that its performances were frowned upon in the past because of their gore, but because people tended to be more touchy about that kind of thing in those times I didn't think it would be too bad. How wrong I was, hahaha. I loled at the Sweeney Todd-esque bit.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Lol same here . . I wasn't expecting it to be quite so gruesome !

ReputationRep:
    Enter lavinia, hands and tongue removed, ravished.

hell yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambi2803)

hell yes
    :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Said it before, I enjoy poetry when it's put under my nose, but I don't intentionally seek it out. My method with the anthology was just to let it fall open on whatever page and read aloud that particular poet's poems.

It's a great way to be unbiased.

...And while some of you may not have read all the criticisms, plenty of you seem to be reading them in order, while I hopped between whatever sounded most interesting/least brainbreaking at the time, which is making me feel pretty odd.

Short stories are my favourite, Rainbow. I'd find an emote for how happy I am that we're all so different, buuut it would take too long.

Found a weekly breakdown for my... tutorguything, and so I now know which stories we're doing.

I think I'm reading Titus on the drive up. I have a habit of always reading introductions first, and it was mind-numbing, but my friend (another Sussexer, mature student) said just sit down and enjoy it all in one shot, when you're in a dark mood.

ReputationRep:

hell yes
    Beast! When we're in that seminar you'll get a pinch from me!
    I usually LOVE all the Jacobean gore stuff, seeking them out with some strange lust but I thought Titus was RANK. I hated it. Did some character studies last night and tutted my way through them all. But then, it's Elizabethan, isn't it. There's a lot more *******s about.
    It shocked me that I didn't like it. Revenger's Tragedy or the Duchess of Malfi- tick. Oh and Oedipus was frigging terrifying. Maybe I need to see it on stage to enjoy it. I got it on an unabridged audiobook and it was rank to hear lavina with all her gurgles. *shiver*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaiteafairy)
    Rochester > Heathcliff > Maxim de Winter (although he's, frankly, the most disturbing of the lot) >>>>>> Darcy >>>>>> to the power of a GOOGLE Edward Cullen.

Serious and all that. I have a mental Byronic Heroes Gentlemans' Club and the glammed-up vamp isn't permitted within a hundred miles of it. It's so much fun, being childish once in a while!
    Heh. Yeah, I've got a list as well. And you can't help but love Max de Winter, can you?
    It's funny how much everyone loves the Brontes. Is that why you all chose York?
    We've got a bookshop in Haworth so I know the Parsonage better than my own house. Great stuff. And Heathcliff is a sexed up Branwell, nuff said.
    Btw, where's everyone coming from?? I feel quite left out when you all go on about buying cutlery!

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Scotland - what's cutlery? Normally we eat with our bare hands. Actually I lived in England (and Italy) and am half-Italian so am a bit of a mongrel and speak with an english accent... can't beat a kilt on a night out though.

Anyway Titus Andronicus is awesome. Not nearly as bloody as fletcher but it'll do :P. I think of the critical essays Benjamin's is really good, so is Freud and Said and Eagleton's pretty easy to understand. Sidney and Shelley are good but the ratio of good:waffle is like 1:10. Cixous is blah blah blah

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a big fan of the Brontes. Don't feel strongly about them either way, to be honest.

I haven't read Titus yet but I know the plot as my brother read it when he did his A Levels (it was part of his context study on Malfi) & told me all about it. :lol: I don't really mind knowing but I guess at least this way if I go to a lecture and they give a plot summary when I'm only halfway through then I won't mind. (I just remember how outraged half of my lit class were when our teacher spoiled the plot of Emma after we'd been studying it for about a month.)

I'm from down in the south west. Most people I know have opted to stay relatively close to home at unis like Southampton & Exeter but I'm scurrying away up north to the wonderful land of York.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Scotland - what's cutlery? Normally we eat with our bare hands. Actually I lived in England (and Italy) and am half-Italian so am a bit of a mongrel and speak with an english accent... can't beat a kilt on a night out though.

Anyway Titus Andronicus is awesome. Not nearly as bloody as fletcher but it'll do :P. I think of the critical essays Benjamin's is really good, so is Freud and Said and Eagleton's pretty easy to understand. Sidney and Shelley are good but the ratio of good:waffle is like 1:10. Cixous is blah blah blah
    ^ I bloody effing love you already. "What's cutlery?" indeed!

I'm from East Sussex, not far from Lewes, and not far from Brighton, if you don't know where Lewes is. (Actually, this is something I'm miffed about, missing the Lewes bonfire celebrations. I've heard tell York has a pretty decent stab at it, but I've grown up sneezing black snot on a yearly basis and will be greatly displeased if I don't this year.)

Anyone up for ghost stories this Hallowe'en, though? Or a ghost walk. Know it's traditionally a Christmas thing, sharing stories, but it'd still be neat.

@Jeramis - Aside from the fact I knew it would be a bad idea since I want to shake Susan Hill for how DULL The Woman in Black is, I tried to read Mrs De Winter. There's a scene where she looks in on Max still sleeping, probably having a nightmare, and I ground my teeth. I don't know about anyone else, but I found that an affront to his written character. Of course there are moments of vulnerability, but outside the original text, even in one commissioned by the foundation... Really didn't ring right, and I can't even justify why without writing reams.

Love him, yes, but still in the same sense that I love/admire/sympathise with Heathcliff (did I really just say "admire"? Oh dollop); they're fascinating, but if they were people rather than fictitious, I'd leg it.

In other news, I'm feeling dead chuffed because I've been doodling on and off today and am veeery pleased with the results. Slooowly getting better.

Am commencing packing.

Oh... sensitive replacement word for ****.

ReputationRep:
    I just started packing.... normally in Scotland the horse and cart will take a couple of days to go down to york but we got a new-fangled automobile so don't have to worry just yet. Better hunt a couple of haggises for my trip down and say by to nessie :'( will miss her.

In addition I went into waterstones today (the staff know me by name now; a new one said 'uh do you need any help' when I had been at the poetry and classics session for 45 minutes and another said 'leave him, he's like that') and ONE AND A HALF SHELVES were filled with frickin' Jane Austen in those covers that look like they're from a chick flick that Sandra Bullock would turn down. And what's with putting the TV sitcom on a front cover. It'll be finished in a week and no one will ever remember it! God!

Of the american short stories what did people like? I liked the F Scott Fitzgerald, Hemingway, The Things They Carried, Tobias Wolff, Joyce Carol Oates especially (Rip Van Winkle was pretty good as well.....)

ReputationRep:
    When I was in NZ, the eldest daughter of the family I was staying with had a Scottish boyfriend who had just moved out. An avid Pratchett fan, he stole my copy of Good Omens off the second sister when I lent it to her. Cue Scottish cave-dwellers and cottage-pansies (though not THE Southern Pansy).

My copy of Brideshead has a promotional photo from the new film on the cover, but it was the least expensive, so I thought what the heck. Wondering whether I should bother bringing the dvds... Still haven't finished them.

Oh goodness, I liked so many of them! The Paradise of Bachelors and the Tartarus of Maids, Cannibalism in the Cars, The Yellow Wallpaper (which I'd been meaning to read for donkey's years anyway), The Middle Years, The Little Regiment, Sonny's Blues, Texts, Yellow Woman... The Things they Carried as well, Fever. Well, actually I've just gone through the list and picked the ones I best remember (as an indication of how much I liked them), but there weren't any I didn't dislike.

ReputationRep:
    Sonny's Blues is amazing. Forgot about that. In addition terry pratchett is brilliant. every single story. but you can't beat the watch tales. I love Captain Carrot

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Scotland! I'm the Mckay in group 2. Lots of dialect words will be flying, though I've lived in Scud-ville all my life (Halifax)

To C'fairy, know what you mean about fanfics. They're always terrible. Particularly if they're written by Emma Tennant, who for soe reaso the Parsonage endorses.
    With the short stories, I liked A White Heron, Old Woman Magoun, The Little Regiment and The Girl with the Pimply face. Still reading a few of them, but those were my faves.

ReputationRep:
    A bit troubled by how the boxes are stacking up. I know I'm going to reeeaaally start panicking when it comes to deciding which books I have that might be useful for the course. And what arty stuff.

Oookay, that's enough attempted packing for today. The rest can wait. And doubtless it'll all be unpacked and repacked and unpacked and repacked an insane number of times before I'm satisfied. Important papers and stuff like them tomorrow!

Remember A White Heron pretty clearly, Old Woman Magoun... now, I have two very different ones that could be off the top of my head. The one with the old lady who lets the girl eat deadly nightshade, or the dead body packed up the chimney. I think it's the former. Short of ashamed because it's hardly PC to get an old Indian woman and an old... non-native YOU SEE THE PICKLE TRYING TO BE PC GETS ME IN? Girl with the Pimply face was good. Creepy, but the best short stories are.

Oh hello, Poe.

ReputationRep:
    I just started packing.... normally in Scotland the horse and cart will take a couple of days to go down to york but we got a new-fangled automobile so don't have to worry just yet. Better hunt a couple of haggises for my trip down and say by to nessie :'( will miss her.
    :woo: I think I love you :yes:

My dad's Scottish, and you're bring back such happy memories! Partly the reason for me going to York is so that I'll be closer - though ANY uni would be closer than my home town.

I tried to pack my kilt, but my mum wouldn't let me :cry:

ReputationRep:
    You and I both, Emily.

...<3 I just phoned my old English teacher (and sixth form tutor). I'm going to cycle, weather permitting (and today it's been just dreadful), into school to see her on Friday and share my jittery nerves and excitement.

Saaay. What do you guys think about showing photos of ourselves, in case we bump into each other on campus? I know some people are iffy about posting phots/aren't complete facebook camwhores, but it might be useful.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.