Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wonder whether the Oxford thing is partly due to the sheer numbers that apply, the sheer number of "model students" (because I was told I was more or less perfect for the place by a number of people), and so any little thing that detracts - not doing the "right" GCSEs, panicking during the Elat and messing up by trying too hard - shoves you out of the group. They must have so many strong applications, they have to make a choice somehow...

Or am I being too kind? :yep:

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad being ill.

Pretty sure I'm not a Tory. I admit, with my tail between my legs, that I have very little idea about Politics, but know I am so far from conservative it's ridiculous.

@Bambi - My sister (and a lot of other girls at my school) were in to Jack Wills. I took one look at the price tags, snorted "Extortionate!" and returned to my staff props from Fat Face (who are expensive as well, but I don't think I've ever brought from them outside a sale, or with discount working for them). My style is artsy-fartsy.

ReputationRep:
    You have got to be SH*TTING me!

I live in South Chailey.
    :eek3: C'est increible. Do you know the Horn's Lodge pub? Yeah... I work there on Sundays. Eeee!

As for posh, ah, I went to a private/public school, but even there my accent was considered "posh". I try to articulate?
    Yeah I'm the posh one at my private school. I did NYT (National Youth Theatre) and people come from all over the country to do it and I was instantly the 'posh' girl in the group... ah, well. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't used to it.

Bit like that thing Hector says in the History Boys. Old stone and all that.
    Haha... when I got rejected from Cambridge, one of my favourite teachers pulled me to one side and said, 'I think you were confusing the smell of old stone with the smell of learning. Go to York. It's f*cking immense.'
    Ok, well maybe he didn't say that thing about York, but I just knew he was thinking it...!

I hated the kind of jack wills-popped collar-styled hair-loud rugby ball throwing rahs though that seemed to populate it
    Urgh. I went back to my school recently to see a play my friend (who's now a drama gappie there) was putting on, and I remembered the bubble that it was! It was amazing, and the best years of my life, and I met some incredible people there, but looking at it now just made me think, "Everyone is the same!" The homogeneity there was appalling. Because it's the winter term, everyone's bringing out the Ugg boots *shudder* It is: insane amounts of make-up, backcombed hair with annoying floppy fringes, tracksuit trousers worn so low off the hips you can see their knickers, and Ugg boots. And that's just the boys. Pfft! Jack Wills! I got an amazing bag in Oxfam the other day for £1.99! Give me charity shops any day...

Getter closer now guys! I'm up so early because I ought to be packing; I've got a busy two days ahead of me so might not get a chance...

ReputationRep:
    If the Horn's Lodge is the one near Chailey Stores, yes. I have a friend - initials H.T. - who works in that one.

I HATE PACKING I HATE PACKING I HATE PACKING I HATE--

ReputationRep:
    Bambi, Know what you mean about the *********. We call that hairstyle the "public school flick". Ugh. I went to a posh school in the 1st year on a bursary too- remember my mum dressing up in rags to try and get more money out of them!! But they were all too.. dunno, weird? Hence a meltdown then refusal to go in again. I think that's why I hate answering a phone- I think it'll be social security. They make it hard for you to quit school...

Oh, and I didn't really care about politics either until the slimebag. I think there's a force withing that gets unleashed when you realise Labour's in trouble. The shame is, they'll win, cos he did a dirty trick by mentioning his son last night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (parentheses)
    It is: insane amounts of make-up, backcombed hair with annoying floppy fringes, tracksuit trousers worn so low off the hips you can see their knickers, and Ugg boots. And that's just the boys. Pfft! Jack Wills! I got an amazing bag in Oxfam the other day for £1.99! Give me charity shops any day...
    You are preaching to the converted. My home city has population about 40, 000, and THREE PRIVATE SCHOOLS. Three. Three huge ones. I know loads of nice people that go to private schools, but really. ARG! They make me :cry: and :woo: and :getmecoat: and :eek3: and :sad:

(Original post by Jeramis)
    We call that hairstyle the "public school flick".
    'King's hair' in my city :yes:

http://www.kings-school.co.uk/

look at the hair. I mean look at it :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super-emily)
    You are preaching to the converted. My home city has population about 40, 000, and THREE PRIVATE SCHOOLS. Three. Three huge ones. I know loads of nice people that go to private schools, but really. ARG! They make me :cry: and :woo: and :getmecoat: and :eek3: and :sad:

'King's hair' in my city :yes:

http://www.kings-school.co.uk/

look at the hair. I mean look at it :eek:
    Oh. My. Gohd. It's like, totally posh.

ReputationRep:
    There are literally no Jack Wills 'rahs' around where I live at all. Probably down to the fact that it's the most working class town in the UK, lmfao. There aren't any in my general area either. The only time I've ever seen them properly was in Oxford, and to an extent when I've been in London in the past.

ReputationRep:
    Caveat - I do like the jack wills shirts. v comfortable and look good. In a sale yes. For 65 flipping quid? no

I didn't realise how annoying private school people were till I left there and went back for a chat with my classics teacher ( I know I know) a minority are nice people who realise how lucky we are but so many are loud obnoxious, just talk about going out and getting pissed, think they're legends because they homoerotically grab people while mud wrestling (rugby) and moan about how daddy hasn't let them go to majorca because they're going skiing and on a 6 week tour of italy in the easter hols (seriously that last part is not made up). IMO I always was appreciative that I got in because if I'd ****** the entrance tests they wouldn't have given me a grant......
    ANYWAY
    I've packed now trying to tack the bike rack onto my dad's car. So. Much. Stuff. I'm bringing like an entire bloody kitchen yet I neglected to bring a kettle! Going to read the poetry anthology on the way down. Bought the lost continent by bill bryson for £2 in oxfam so I have back up
    Anyone else down tomorrow?

P.S Oh yes. What is the deal with bloody canterbury tracksuits. It's got to the stage where girls from the local comp wear canterburys to fit in with the private school lot. UGGGGHHHHHH

ReputationRep:
    The Lost Continent is BRILLIANT, by the way. My Dad - the soppy thing - posted me a copy while I was in New Zealand, on account it was the first of his books he read when HE was travelling.

I... I can't believe people would complain about that. D: We have been able, luckily, to travel a lot when we were children. My parents never got to when they were growing up, and wanted to indulge us in the opportunities they didn't have. We're very fortunate they work their arses off for our benefit, and that my Dad's job means he's made some good contacts with people who have other houses overseas.

As for private schooling, we'd be a heckload better off economically if they decided to send us to the local comprehensive! But both my second sister and I got sixth form scholarships, and the fees for my school weren't as high as other place. In the current economic climate, it looks like my youngest sister may not be able to carry on attending.

Reading Titus on the way up. x3

ReputationRep:
    hope everyone gets to york ok! see you next week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambi2803)
    P.S Oh yes. What is the deal with bloody canterbury tracksuits. It's got to the stage where girls from the local comp wear canterburys to fit in with the private school lot. UGGGGHHHHHH
    serious? I'm FROM canters and I've never even heard of them. Picture?

I'm here - and panicking about when we have to go to the English department thing. Does anyone know when? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super-emily)
    serious? I'm FROM canters and I've never even heard of them. Picture?

I'm here - and panicking about when we have to go to the English department thing. Does anyone know when? :eek3:
    It's wednesday. 12 noon in langwith. And then on friday we all have to go to the language course thing too... Going in tomorrow for a nus card! and the folder thing! See you there! I'm Anna, btw. xx

ReputationRep:
    We need to go to the department tomorrow (today, rather, Monday) as well though to pick up a handbook and things. There's no specific time for that, though, as long as we go.

ReputationRep:
    If you see a brown haired, bespectacled girl with a purple Virginia Woolf/Aldous Huxley shoulder tote bag around the English department tomorrow (well today) be like HAI because it will be me.

There's no specific time as long as it's after 9:30, I believe.

I'm drunk. I've proofread this post about 4 times.

ReputationRep:
    lol at the above

I've got my time for my supervisor meeting. It a) clashes with the departmental talk about the language module on Friday and b) is in King's Manor at 11am. This means that I will have to miss that language talk which I would have been interested in, figure out where the manor even is first because I don't have a clue, then get up stupidly early on Friday in order to walk there because she said it takes about 40 minutes. She also said it's compulsory to attend and that she's meeting us all at once, so I assume there's no way it will change. ...WHY?

Ha, I shouldn't complain. Archaeology students have to get there all the time.

There's far too much stuff in that pack we were given today. I can't handle all this endless information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    lol at the above

I've got my time for my supervisor meeting. It a) clashes with the departmental talk about the language module on Friday and b) is in King's Manor at 11am. This means that I will have to miss that language talk which I would have been interested in, figure out where the manor even is first because I don't have a clue, then get up stupidly early on Friday in order to walk there because she said it takes about 40 minutes. She also said it's compulsory to attend and that she's meeting us all at once, so I assume there's no way it will change. ...WHY?

Ha, I shouldn't complain. Archaeology students have to get there all the time.

There's far too much stuff in that pack we were given today. I can't handle all this endless information.
    king's manor is ok, you just need to find the art gallery and its next door. you may as well get the bus into town though instead of walking there so early!

ReputationRep:
    My supervisor's sent out an email which basically says she'll let us know later on. Handy. So much stuff to do this week. Eeep. I've not unpacked at all yet. I will get around to it eventually though. (:

ReputationRep:
    If someone could summarise Friday's language talk for me on here I'd be eternally grateful. I'm going to have to miss it now. If it's all obvious stuff then it's okay.

Yeah, this week is ridiculously busy for us Englings. Some other subjects just don't seem to be doing anything, and we have about 4 meetings as well as that library induction in this one week alone?! I cannot keep track of everything. Gonna have to look through all my paper to figure out if I have anything to go to tomorrow. Don't think I have but I'll check.

I might even draw out some kind of ******* itinerary and attempt to pin it to my noticeboard which happens to be ridiculously difficult to pin stuff onto.

ReputationRep:
    What is this library induction of whihc you speak? I didn't know about that one. I've been writing out all the things I intend to do in the planner I got from the YUSU talk. (edit. I found the sheet about it.)

I'll write up stuff from the Friday talk if you want. I get the feeling you only have to go if you have urgent questions, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha, god's sake. My tutor heard that the meeting clashed with the language talk so she rescheduled it to tomorrow at 12:30, so now it clashes with the departmental welcome talk.

I got a pink piece of paper in the department welcome pack about library tours for first years on Thursday the 15th. They're split up into surname groups, but it says that if you can't make yours you should turn up for one of the others.

Surnames A-H: 09:45 am
    I-M: 10:15am
    N-R: 10:45am
    S-Z: 11:15am

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.