Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear. What a disorganised mess. \: You'll have to tell her, I guess. Mine's planning to do ours next week even though we need her signature by Friday for our module choices.

I found the sheet just now! I had a good old rummage through that mound of paper and uncovered it. (: Thanks for the info though, I'd completely forgotten about it. Too much stuff going on. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    No worries.

Yeah, I just e-mailed her about it. I've never really e-mailed any of my tutors in the past, let alone a university academic I've never met, so I spent ages figuring out how to write/end the message. :rofl:

My seminar group have extra stuff set. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, Othello and Sartre's No Exit. Oh, and our reading for the first seminar is four of those bloody essays. grrr.

ReputationRep:
    Our tutor hasn't posted a reading list or told us anything useful. I'm getting a bit frustrated.

No Exit is really good. It's where the quote "l'enfer, c'est les autres" (hell is other people) comes from. Good luck with the essays. I might head in to town in a bit as I've not got anything much to do until 1pm. It's either that or sign up at the health centre and stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ try juggling an extremely confused English department, and a complete befuddled History department :cry:

ReputationRep:
    My supervisor has once again changed the time of the meeting and I think I'm ok to go to it now. God, that whole thing was so annoying. I do vaguely know where King's Manor is now, though, because I went into York today and saw it. It's a very pretty building.

I really cba with these essays. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    There's been some talk on the fb group about a post-dept talk meet tomorrow, so if any of you lovely Englishy people want to meet up then shout now/soon/anytime beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archly)
    There's been some talk on the fb group about a post-dept talk meet tomorrow, so if any of you lovely Englishy people want to meet up then shout now/soon/anytime beforehand.
    Where is the facebook site? i've been looking for it for ages!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeramis)
    Where is the facebook site? i've been looking for it for ages!
    It's a secret group so you need an invite. If you PM me or any of the other people who hang out in the firmer's thread your name as it appears on FB we'll invite you.

ReputationRep:
    I have a seminar on that Sidney essay plus three others in about half an hour and I'm terrified because although I think I know what his overall point is, Sidney makes me feel so f*cking stupid and like I'm not a good literature student because I can't concentrate on it well for long periods of time, and it's not like the others are a walk in the park to understand either.

Oh, and I can't actually keep my eyes open. I FELL ASLEEP in the quiet reading area of the library before. No joke. Freshers' week has completely done me in and there's another week of it for me yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    Freshers' week has completely done me in and there's another week of it for me yet.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys think of the first lecture? I loved it. I am so looking forward to getting stuck in.

Also: yes, I was the dork who said they'd read Plato's Symposium recently and got asked if I really had. I ******* love that book, okay. It was one of the dozen or so books that went into my little shoebox of books I love and could read over & over again.

ReputationRep:
    hahaaaaa i wondered who that was

fwiw i shouted out bill bryson because everyone must read him!

ReputationRep:
    No one in the WORLD needs to cough that much in a lecture. Jesus christ. I'd understand if you had consumption or something, but godddddddd, stfu otherwise.

Lol at whoever shouted The Host by Stephanie Meyer out.

ReputationRep:
    It didn't bother me but that sure was a lot of coughing. There were a lot of us though, I guess.

I was amused by the Meyer reference, too. I hear The Host is actually better than Twilight though? Doubt it's that much better though. \:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    No one in the WORLD needs to cough that much in a lecture. Jesus christ. I'd understand if you had consumption or something, but godddddddd, stfu otherwise.

Lol at whoever shouted The Host by Stephanie Meyer out.
    I had the same thing in my Politics lecture. It was ridiculous, the lecturer stopped at one point and said "christ, it's like a war hospital in here" :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simon117)
    I had the same thing in my Politics lecture. It was ridiculous, the lecturer stopped at one point and said "christ, it's like a war hospital in here"
    That was funny. I found it even more amusing that intensity of the coughing increased after that remark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moroseblight)
    That was funny. I found it even more amusing that intensity of the coughing increased after that remark.
    I'm sorry :sick:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super-emily)
    I'm sorry
    Aww *hugs* Hope you're feeling better now. Those coughs do sound pretty bad.

ReputationRep:
    Can I have some first essay solidarity, please?

How are your essays going? Started yet? Or just started planning? Or nothing at all. I'm looking into each of the poems hoping one of them might suddenly become less dull. \:

ReputationRep:
    Haven't started it yet... it's actually my second essay, lol. I'm going to do it on La Belle Dame sans Merci, I know that much.

My coughing in lectures comment has come back to haunt me because I'm now really ill.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.