Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll have to see if my library has it, Dissonance. : )

ReputationRep:
    Dissonance is not female! WOOP. And the world is a little bit more balanced :yes:

ReputationRep:
    another female here, sorry sloaner

Hello! so far I've read Mrs Dalloway (boo hiss boo hiss) a few of the American short stories and as of earlier today, finished Beowulf. I'm not progressing very quickly at all but um, never mind. I second the notion of Beowulf being a quick and easy read, I actually really enjoyed it!

Rather than curling up with a book tonight I'm going to watch my parents' DVD of Hitchcock's Rear Window as I am way too tired to concentrate on reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    another female here, sorry sloaner

Hello! so far I've read Mrs Dalloway (boo hiss boo hiss) a few of the American short stories and as of earlier today, finished Beowulf. I'm not progressing very quickly at all but um, never mind. I second the notion of Beowulf being a quick and easy read, I actually really enjoyed it!

Rather than curling up with a book tonight I'm going to watch my parents' DVD of Hitchcock's Rear Window as I am way too tired to concentrate on reading.

Maybe I'll get a sex change just to join the trend

Yeah I think I'll watch that film online tonight. Or just play the Sims 3, time will tell on that front..

I'm reading a book that isn't on the reading list. :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    ...I wanted to finish my second collection of Daphne du Maurier's short stories. T~T They're sitting on my bookshelf, beckoning, beckoning...

Aww, Sloan, hopefully the online population isn't ENTIRELY proportionate. ; P

'Sides, look at it from this angle: you have an excuse to be surrounded by women (providing that's what you like?) xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaiteafairy)
    Aww, Sloan, hopefully the online population isn't ENTIRELY proportionate. ; P

'Sides, look at it from this angle: you have an excuse to be surrounded by women (providing that's what you like?) xD
    AH YOU GOT ME! :rolleyes: I'll surround myself by women anyway. Get yer harem out.

ReputationRep:
    *gigglecheer*

So THAT'S why you secretly applied for English, knowing it's a course usually teeming with Oestrogen! You actually have NO interest in Literature whatsoever!

ReputationRep:
    Well once I've got my harem in place I'll need to hunt down some testosterone. I have needs

And now this thread has gone disgustingly off-topic. Someone get us out of these depths before things get out of hand (or boxers).

OOPS.

ReputationRep:
    Well, we're English students. It's only ever a matter of time before innocent conversations lead to the surfacing of innuendos and extreme offtopic-ness.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, back on topic.

I am quietly delighted and thrilled that Seamus Heaney found his voice through Gerard Manley Hopkins. We studied him at A2 - and I think I was the only person in the class to actually enjoy his work. Although I was later disillusioned reading a critical essay by Keith Sagar. Which I suppose it good, but I could see it coming - "He's going to ruin my estimation of him, I know it! I can feeeel which way this argument is going!"

Brilliant collection of essays, that, btw. I picked up the book - Literature and the Crime Against Nature - from a second hand store in Brighton. I hummed and harred about purchasing it for twenty minutes (it was still about... £20.00, even second-hand!), but finally resolved that anything relating to eco-criticism (I'm VERY curious about it!) was worth pursuing. It has several essays about things I've read (actually, I need to see whether there's not anything about our reading list!) and it's just a pleasure to read.

And it has a picture by Franz Marx on the cover, which was what drew my attention to it second.

Anyway, after that tangent? Hopkins is love. I want to borrow a Tardis and bring him back to our time to watch the BBC's Planet Earth. And tell him to get over himself.

ReputationRep:
    ...I actually physically have to stop myself from "squeeing" every time I come across a Hopkins reference. There's one in one of my astronomy books, to boot. 'Look at the stars! Look, look up at the skies!/ O look at all the fire-folk sitting in the air!/ The bright boroughs, the circle citadels there!'

And Gilburt and Gubar notoriously asserting that the pen is a penis.

SEE? Even when we're being serious, Lit. talk is sexual.

...And Rainbow, I just read your signature. Wooonderful quote.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for raising us up.

ReputationRep:
    I tried. It quickly devolved again. xD

ReputationRep:
    I have little to no experience of Hopkins' work at all. When I don't have a huge pile of things to be reading I'll look into him a bit more, as my former English teacher is also a big fan.

Yeah, it is from one of my favourite novels ever.

ReputationRep:
    I was just smitten. Utterly smitten, I tell you.

It's queer. I don't seek out/feel I have a particular interest in poetry, but if it's put in front of me I will gorge myself on it and enjoy every syllable.

;3 We studied it alongside Frankenstein. Read a lot of criticism for it as well. I'd class it among my all-time favourites. There's a Sagar essay on Heathcliff as well (who I resolutely sympathise with.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaiteafairy)
    I tried. It quickly devolved again. xD
    That's ok, if you meet me at York you'll find a great deal of my conversations devolve into smut. And sometimes it can go to pretty grotesque levels. Just, you know.. warning everyone.

Now, continue with your literary chat

ReputationRep:
    x3 It's going to be really fun, actually, if I meet people at York I've met here~

Right now, I think I'd best sleep. I have to go and be bored in a shop tomorrow, and need the energy for it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, you crazy English peeps! Finished Beowulf an hour ago Think I'll give Samuel Beckett a go next.

(Original post by Laus)
    I'm reading a book that isn't on the reading list. :eek2:
    I have that problem - if it can even be considered a problem :p: There's still plenty of time left.

ReputationRep:
    I read Beowulf on the train today - but wound up babysitting this evening and watching a movie on the Disney channel. My inner child is very happy, my studybod is... considering finding a cane.

Two months doesn't FEEL like a long time!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.