Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's your second? Craazy. What was the first? Most people seem to be doing a ~1500 word close reading as a first essay.

I know someone else who's doing La Belle Dame. I'm not keen on any of my options but I'm going to bite the bullet and pick one tonight (hopefully). I do not have the excuse of being ill to put it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archly)
    It's your second? Craazy. What was the first? Most people seem to be doing a ~1500 word close reading as a first essay.

I know someone else who's doing La Belle Dame. I'm not keen on any of my options but I'm going to bite the bullet and pick one tonight (hopefully). I do not have the excuse of being ill to put it off.
    I did mine last Thursday - I had the whole day off, and it really did take me all day. I've completely forgotten how to write essays! I know that my essay isn't great (hell, it's not even good) but it's written.

When's yours in for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super-emily)
    I did mine last Thursday - I had the whole day off, and it really did take me all day. I've completely forgotten how to write essays! I know that my essay isn't great (hell, it's not even good) but it's written.

When's yours in for?
    It's in this Thursday so I've still got a fair amount of time. I think I'm aiming to plan it this morning after the 9am lecture and then write it tonight & tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I should be writing my essay right now. I'm doing it on Yeats' 'Adam's Curse'. I've forgotten how to write essays. I don't know what to do. It's a big massive fail. It's due in tomorrow and I've got a 2 hour rehearsal for a play tonight so I don't know when I'm going to do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (parentheses)
    I should be writing my essay right now. I'm doing it on Yeats' 'Adam's Curse'. I've forgotten how to write essays. I don't know what to do. It's a big massive fail. It's due in tomorrow and I've got a 2 hour rehearsal for a play tonight so I don't know when I'm going to do it!
    Ouch. There's a lecture on essay writing this aftenoon but by that time it may not be all that much use to you for this essay. I'm intending to have a plan ready by my 1:15 seminar. This seems doubtful, however.

ReputationRep:
    I really like that lecturer from earlier. He's very to the point.

I'M SO ILL IT'S FACKING RIDICULOUS and i haven't even started my essay or all the notes i'm supposed to be doing for my seminar and oh god everything is a big fat fail at the moment. I don't even know how to write essays any more. I've wimped out of Viking Raid because I feel so vile so I left my tshirt out on the kitchen table with a note basically telling people they can take it for free.

edit: oh and it's my first LFA class tonight. I just saw the work for it on VLE and it looks really hard. urghhhhhhhhhh.

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against the lecturer but the stuff we're doing at the moment isn't new & exciting ground so I'm not getting that into it. I like his examples though. I don't know whhhy he thought there were a 120 of us when there are over 200 inc. combined students but there you go. (History of Art kids aren't doing this module though, right? Hmm.)

Ugh. Essay. I don't think anyone remembers how to write them. I'm just studying the poems like my life depends on it so that hopefully writing up the essay will be relatively painless.

Mine's not until tomorrow. I took a quick look though and it doesn't seem so bad. But, then again, I expect to find it difficult so maybe I'm just not surprised?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else in shock over the scariness of the last lecture today? No? Anyone else completely redoing their essay, because after looking at it with HER eyes they feel like it should be burnt? AM I ALONE IN THIS?

sob

ReputationRep:
    I have not started my essay, so no. You're in a better position than I am. TRRRRUST.

ReputationRep:
    I've not started mine either. The lecture did not shock me at all though. I knew most of it already. :giggle: Still, I have no essay and you have one so I am a little envious.

ReputationRep:
    Up to 1000 words and I've run out of things to say. Oh hell.

ReputationRep:
    I've written a ridiculous draft version which is basically 750 words of notes. I need to expand my points so they're properly explained, rearrange it a little and add in the critical bits I have. But, really, I still just have a 1500 word essay to write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archly)
    I've written a ridiculous draft version which is basically 750 words of notes. I need to expand my points so they're properly explained, rearrange it a little and add in the critical bits I have. But, really, I still just have a 1500 word essay to write.
    when does yours have to be in by? mine was due in yesterday...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super-emily)
    when does yours have to be in by? mine was due in yesterday...
    Today. But anytime. It just has to be there when she goes to collect them tomorrow morning. Lots of people's seem to be due tomorrow though so it's not like I've got much of an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Missed my seminar because I'm ill and now I feel really bad about it e-mailing my tutor now. gaaah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    Missed my seminar because I'm ill and now I feel really bad about it e-mailing my tutor now. gaaah.
    :sad:

:jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    800 words in and I'm already repeating myself. Plus half of what I've said is badly explained and/or makes very little sense.

:bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Essay done. It is pretty rubbish and more than likely too short (it's about 1350 words and the max for ours was 1500) but I didn't have anything else non-waffly to say so if I'd written more I would have made it even worse. My tutor e-mailed my seminar group our tutorial times for Monday and mine's first. I am sh*tting myself. We have to have decided what to write about for our next essay by then too, and we can basically write about anything we 'find interesting' from any of the poems we've done so far so I have like NO IDEA what to choose to do it on. So now this weekend I have to re-read Beowulf, make notes on it for the seminar and have settled on at least an essay topic, if not an actual essay title, when I don't have a clue what to do.

Merde.

Thanks Emily :hugs: I had a really nice day anyway, despite the whole seminar fail this morning. I'm still dying of ze flu but I went out into York with my family cause they visited me, and we went shopping and explored the Minster and things before I finished my essay off.

ReputationRep:
    Handed the essay in earlier. It's sh*t. Whatever. I DON'T CARE. *tries to convince self*

I am a tad confused though. If you're a single honours English student can you still vote for someone to become the course rep for dual honours subjects or not? I kinda wish I'd tried for the whole course rep thing now but I'm a bit too lazy and t'other Emily's efforts in particular would have put me to shame!

ReputationRep:
    My essay was dreadful, too. (:

I don't know whether we'll be able to vote for combined course reps as single honours students and I'm running to be a rep. (Oh dear.) When voting starts, I'm sure it'll become obvious. You have to log in with your student IT account to vote so the system may well only offer you the categories in which you're eligible to vote. Emily's campaigning efforts put us all to shame, I'm afraid!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of York
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of York
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sun, 16 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.