Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archly)
    Emily's campaigning efforts put us all to shame, I'm afraid!
    yeah well, I don't know about that! Though my friend's video is amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5X6n3kmc_Y

I know it's the cheesiest thing EVER but I love it like my first born child :yes:

thing is, Zahra is such a lovely person! I've tried to dislike her, but I can't :o:

ReputationRep:
    Dead thread.

ANYWAY. It's making me sad that we have to choose three of those nine amazing-looking modules I've been looking at my handbook today and whenever I attempt to make a decision on the last first year module I realise that it affects the second year choices in a way I dislike. I want variety, but if I choose the Romantics I can't do Americans, if I do modernists and the early Renaissance in second year I can't take either of the medieval modules... argh, it really really sucks! Is anyone else struggling as much as I am? I genuinely don't have a clue what to pick because I really like the look of them alllllllll!

ReputationRep:
    Oh god. I know that feeling! I've only just looked at exactly which choice it is we have to make for next term and it is HORRID. I want to do Later Rennaissance and Romanticism. UGH! D: I've discounted American because I am so in love with Modernism I could cry. I wish I could do the early part of the British & Irish lit and the later part of the American though. That would be seriously epic.

So, yeah, I'm probably going to make most of my decisions based on which I love more. It does feel like I'll be deciding all 3 by what I pick this time around though.

ReputationRep:
    The only one of my choices I have completely sorted is the Early Renaissance in term 5. I'll probably pick the Romantics for term 3 because I'm obsessed with Keats to like, a frightening degree... it's the second group of choices that's really annoying me because I want to do both the Modernists and late Medievalists.

THIS IS REALLY MEAN.

I've known that I'm choosing French realism for the foreign literature module for ages, though... that's something, I guess?!

ReputationRep:
    I think I may have to go for Romanticism if only because, if not, I'd end up doing High Medieval later on rather than Early Renaissance and I'm not sure it appeals. I'll think about it and look into it more over the holidays though.

IT IS CRUEL. SHALL WE BEAT IT WITH STICKS?

I've known I was going for Symbolism since before I applied. I think I decided when I first looked at the York syllabus in August '07. Yep.

ReputationRep:
    I have sort of kind of maybe settled on Romantics then Modernists then Early Renaissance. I think. I had four hours to think about it on my train journey before because I had nothing to do but that or reading The Communist Manifesto, and still failed to decide properly.

What is also CRUEL AND MEAN is the fact that I left snow-covered York this morning and in my home town there isn't a flake of snow in sight. I've been robbed of my white Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    If you do those then we may end up doing exactly the same things. (Apart from our French modules, of course.)

There's no snow here, either. York was gorgeously Christmas card-like though. (:

ReputationRep:
    ARGHHHHH PANIC!

I think I'm having one of those days when NOTHING makes sense. At least, I hope that's it, and I'm not being totally daft.

I'm looking at these module choices things. I only do English terms 3 and 5, so does the choices I make for term 3 affect what I can do in term 5? What on earth are bands? :cry:

I need chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel that I've read enough, and still don't know what the workshops on my timetable are.

Buuut those are the least of my worries... I'm still at home and the freezing cold caused the water mains on our street to burst. We have no water at all. FUUUCK MY LIFE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super-emily)
    ARGHHHHH PANIC!

I think I'm having one of those days when NOTHING makes sense. At least, I hope that's it, and I'm not being totally daft.

I'm looking at these module choices things. I only do English terms 3 and 5, so does the choices I make for term 3 affect what I can do in term 5? What on earth are bands? :cry:

I need chocolate.
    Have you worked it out yet? Bands are eras. You can only pick one module from each. I think there's a complete list in the handbook. Basically, (and I might be doing this backwards as I don't know where the numbers start):
    Band 1: Medieval modules
    Band 2: Renaissance modules
    Band 3: Eighteenth C. & Romanticism
    Band 4: British & Irish Lit to 1910, American Lit to 1910 & Lits in English.

Does that make sense?

(Original post by rainbow drops)
    I don't feel that I've read enough, and still don't know what the workshops on my timetable are.

Buuut those are the least of my worries... I'm still at home and the freezing cold caused the water mains on our street to burst. We have no water at all. FUUUCK MY LIFE.
    I don't feel like I've read enough either. I definitely feel for you with your water main though. Not having water is awful. We lost hot water for a while over the summer but none at all would be ******* dreadful.

There's a little bit more info about workshops in last year's lecture list (here). I'm not sure that this year's will be the same but it at least gives you a vague idea. And you only have to go to one of them, as well.

ReputationRep:
    Signs of the Times by Carlyle needs to get out of my life, omfg.

I went for Victorian Ghost Stories in the end, and then one of the two research workshops that were the same (i.e. not the Oliver Twist one)

ReputationRep:
    Signs of the Times by Carlyle needs to get out of my life, omfg.

I went for Victorian Ghost Stories in the end, and then one of the two research workshops that were the same (i.e. not the Oliver Twist one)
    You're doing that, too? We had to answer over 20 prep questions about it.

I wanted to go to the Ghost Stories one but my seminar tutor's running it so I thought I should do someone else's. Went with Vict Theatre in the end even though we're not doing any theatre in seminars so it's unlikely to actually help me with the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archly)
    You're doing that, too? We had to answer over 20 prep questions about it.

I wanted to go to the Ghost Stories one but my seminar tutor's running it so I thought I should do someone else's. Went with Vict Theatre in the end even though we're not doing any theatre in seminars so it's unlikely to actually help me with the course.
    Yeah, we got about 10 prep questions as well as another essay by someone else, but that one is only 4 pages or so. I quite like what Signs of the Times is trying to say, but I don't think I've fully got my head round the argument and how it's constructed, and that's one of the things my tutor asked us to think about. I'm not prepared to discuss it in seminar, anyway, even after making a load of notes on it last night. I've read worse essays but this one isn't what I would have liked to be reading at the start of term at all... uggghhrhghghg.

Still, am looking forward to meeting a new seminar group later. I should probably go re-read this frigging essay.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, we got about 10 prep questions as well as another essay by someone else, but that one is only 4 pages or so. I quite like what Signs of the Times is trying to say, but I don't think I've fully got my head round the argument and how it's constructed, and that's one of the things my tutor asked us to think about. I'm not prepared to discuss it in seminar, anyway, even after making a load of notes on it last night. I've read worse essays but this one isn't what I would have liked to be reading at the start of term at all... uggghhrhghghg.

Still, am looking forward to meeting a new seminar group later. I should probably go re-read this frigging essay.
    I quite enjoyed Signs of the Times and didn't really have trouble with any of the questions we were given but I'm not sure I'd know what to say about the construction of Carlyle's argument either.

I'm looking forward to being in a new group & generally to everything starting up again. I've not got my first seminar until tomorrow though. All I have on today is getting my seminar report for last term. I'm kind of worried about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.