Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Why did I not know this thread existed?

I've read the Beckett plays that we will be focusing on, and had a look at some criticisms of those. .

I began reading Titus, and then bought the film which I watched, so now need to build up the enthusiasm to keep reading :P

Really disliked Mrs Dolloway, but I'm hoping with a bit of further study I might start to enjoy it. . although everyone appears to be hating it atm, as far as I can tell!

And I'm almost done with Beowolf. It's all good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electro.retro)
    Why did I not know this thread existed?
    GET WITH THE TIMES!

Now that accom and enrollment is all sorted, it's just a case of conquering this reading list. But I've just found all episodes of No Angels on 4OD so I don't think I'll resume reading for a while.. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaner)
    But I've just found all episodes of No Angels on 4OD so I don't think I'll resume reading for a while.. :woo:
    Tut tut. Watching something instead of conquering the reading list?! Shocking :p:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, tutorials on Mrs Dalloway are going to be interesting, as judging by all of our reactions to it on TSR there's going to be a lot of people in our year that hate it!

I haven't read anything at all for a couple of days *bad English student*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moroseblight)
    Tut tut. Watching something instead of conquering the reading list?! Shocking :p:
    Oh shh. I got the books like.. months ago and I've not yet made it past 2 of them. And I've finally got into 24 so there's a good deal of episodes of that I can use to postpone any kind of work.

Besides, for someone who didn't bother to get a job this year, it's incredible that I find activities to fill so many empty days :rolleyes:

I'm mega excited now though. A big bunch of new people is always so much fun (especially when alcohol is included ). Cannot wait.

ReputationRep:
    Besides, for someone who didn't bother to get a job this year, it's incredible that I find activities to fill so many empty days :rolleyes:
    That is an art form. And I'm ashamed to say I mastered it this year :laugh: I suppose that's the reason why we were given our reading list so early- to accommodate all the procrastination.

A big bunch of slightly crazy new people and copious amounts of alcohol - it's going to be fantastic! :awesome: Not long to go now, which means less time to read those books *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    I'm halfway through Beowulf. I wound up getting distracted today, drawing. > <~ I think I shall try to finish it, then get on with the Beckett plays so I can talk to that old neighbour-adopted-grandfather-of-mine. And I want to ask him what language he thinks would be best for me (he was a languages professor at Sussex.)

I'm soo glad people like the thread and are finding it useful!

...xD; And I enjoyed Mrs Dalloway, and think I'll get along better with it once I've studied it and come to understand it. Though it was like nothing I've read before (the only thing I can think of that's similar is the brief segment in Titus Groan where you get to see what all the characters are thinking round the table. I aadooore Prunesquallor!)

Maybe I should go and read now my headache's gone instead of watching Hotel Babylon. We also ended up getting lost on our dog walk. xD

ReputationRep:
    I just got stung by a bee. But my t-shirt took the main brunt of the attack, so I'm ok, DON'T WORRY. Titus or No Angels, Titus or No Angels...

Daddy or chips..

CHIPS.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch. Bad bee. But it died in the attack? I had wasps following me around today. Not fuuun at all.

@ Chaiteafairy- this thread is lovely! We needed someone to come along and unite us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moroseblight)
    Ouch. Bad bee. But it died in the attack? I had wasps following me around today. Not fuuun at all.

@ Chaiteafairy- this thread is lovely! We needed someone to come along and unite us
    It probably died yeah, but I didn't hang around to check, it was MASSIVE. And it had been stuck to me for ages and I hadn't noticed. I was really confused as to where the constant buzzing was coming from. I was only trying to help it get loose.. guess that's what I get for trying to be a good person :yes: NEVER AGAIN!

I rarely seem to discuss literature in this thread..

ReputationRep:
    It probably died yeah, but I didn't hang around to check, it was MASSIVE. And it had been stuck to me for ages and I hadn't noticed. I was really confused as to where the constant buzzing was coming from. I was only trying to help it get loose.. guess that's what I get for trying to be a good person :yes: NEVER AGAIN!

I rarely seem to discuss literature in this thread..
    Lol. Evil bees. They tend to be rather free with their stinging. Next time, RUN or do a dance and hope they run :p:

As long as you're thinking about the reading list and are preparing wonderful insights for us :p:

I've been slack with my reading :/ Damn distractions.

ReputationRep:
    Although I haven't yet read any of Norton's poetry anthology (the sheer weight and size is kinda off-putting for a lazy August day), I did read Beowulf, Titus, and about half of the American short stories so far. Also, I'd already read Ms Dalloway a couple of months ago, so it was a pleasant surprise to realise that on the list! More time to procrastinate, yay.

Where would those of you who've started the poetry anthology recommend I begin? It's probably useful to go chronologically but the earlier works can be so tedious to start with...

ReputationRep:

Really disliked Mrs Dolloway, but I'm hoping with a bit of further study I might start to enjoy it. . although everyone appears to be hating it atm, as far as I can tell!
    I really liked it, as well as To The Lighthouse, but then again, I'm just weird.

ReputationRep:
    @winters - You're no more weird than me, don't worry. > w> My entire class hated Hopkins, all except for me (I actually doodled little chirpy happy notes in the preface to Beowulf when he was mentioned.)

I've read three of the American short stories. ~ o~ I'm not looking forward to starting on the plays.

Got to actually force myself to sit down and read. It's surprisingly easy to procrastinate.

As for the poetry anthology, I've just... dipped in and out. Picked it up at a random page and marked the date by the poem. x3

ReputationRep:
    Why is it I am so good at procrastinating? I'm going to have to reinstate the Revolutionise Your Life program mentally again. > < Was doing so well with the regular exercise, then I feel a bit low, and BAMPH! Back to the old bad habits.

Also: limit internet time and READ YOUR BLOODY BOOKS. YES. YOU ENJOY IT MORE. You do. You're just terrible at getting round to starting anything and arrrgh. *messes up own hair*

Sorry to rant/splurge, but arrrgh. >O

Just popping on before the thought escapes me -

Why is it my mental rendition of Beowulf voiced by Oliver Postgate?

And quick discussion question, where does everyone like to read? I go and sit in the garden when I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaiteafairy)
    And quick discussion question, where does everyone like to read? I go and sit in the garden when I can.
    It was really sunny where I am today so I finished Titus in the garden. It was only 7 pages till the end, but I was sunbathing as well and I'm not good at combining that with reading.

Otherwise, at 2am when I've exhausted all other options including my mental capacity to say "to hell with that", THEN I'll pick up a book.

Maybe this course isn't ideal for me :rolleyes: OH WELL. Let's get drunk? OK.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong though, I can't wait to start York and I do really like literature. But.. I think I like drinking even more..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Are people reading those mahooosive anthologies as well, then? I'm sticking to to plays and the stories at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong though, I can't wait to start York and I do really like literature. But.. I think I like drinking even more..
    *wonders if that's the sound of alarm bells ringing she hears* :p: Well, if it's any consolation, I was once told that academics like their drink more than their work.

(Original post by Chaiteafairy)
    Bed. Nothing better than a good book in bed :yep: Parks, garden, on the stairs. Never on trains.

Are people reading those mahooosive anthologies as well, then? I'm sticking to to plays and the stories at the moment.
    Haven't started them yet. I'm also on the plays and stories.

ReputationRep:
    @Moroseblight - There's a wonderful quote about academics by Aldous Huxley that goes something like: "Academics are people who've found something better than sex."

Can you not read on the train because you get motion sick or something? x3 I infuriate/am the envy of several because I can read for hours on end in a car, boat, plane, train...~

Definitely love being outside most.

I'm dipping in and out of the anthologies. But I love critical essays. x3; I need to read: more poetry, more of the short stories, and Titus~

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.