Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's no more ridiculous and rambly and mine, and I agree with most of it.

There are many more distractions these days, yes. I'd probably read more if I didn't have my laptop, as well. My littlest sister plays on her DS an awful lot, and she and her friends interact with them.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone had any luck with Sidney's essay in the LitCrit book?

It's giving me suicidal urges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swires)

It's giving me suicidal urges.
    I quite enjoyed reading the intro but then I sort of forgot to read the actual essay. Oh dear. So, no, I suppose I haven't had any luck. I think I'm going to need to get reading in a serious way to stop the wait from driving me crazy though. This evening: Ikea. Tomorrow: Philip Sidney. Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    Just stick at it. It's not - that- bad - *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaiteafairy)
    The first thing I noticed when I was giving it a go - I couldn't get beyond the first fifty pages without resorting to skimming - was that gross materialism.

Perhaps I'm just primed to find gluttony disquieting. The feasting scene in Beloved made me feel physically ill, and I'm evidently biased against the Lintons.
    I wouldn't take any American Literature courses, then, if I were you. There is no culture in the world so obsessed, and so deservedly obsessed, with the consequences and causes of materialism.

(Original post by Swires)
    Pope's essay on criticism is worth a look; I don't believe it's on the reading list, though. It should be in the Norton poetry anthology:

'Tis with our Judgments as our Watches, none
    Go just alike, yet each believes his own.
    In Poets as true Genius is but rare,
    True Taste as seldom is the Critick's Share;
    Both must alike from Heav'n derive their Light,
    These born to Judge, as well as those to Write.
    Let such teach others who themselves excell,
    And censure freely who have written well.
    Authors are partial to their Wit, 'tis true,
    But are not Criticks to their Judgment too?

First term will probably contain a lot of Pope, but it really depends on your tutor. Fantastic sense of humour besides being a master of heroic verse.

ReputationRep:
    Hello - I'm another York English person I'm sort of okay with the reading list; I did Beowulf at AS and read Mrs Dalloway for the war literature unit (and enjoyed it!), so that's two down. And the Beckett is short enough. The LitCrit essays though... I just end up reading the same sentence over and over again, without realising it. Perhaps there's an audiobook edition?!

Looking forward to meeting you all in a month

ReputationRep:
    I've enjoyed reading Freud's essay, "The Uncanny", and although Cixous' essay was a little over the top and perhaps, pointless, it was also engaging. I've already read a Defence of Poetry for when I studied Percy Shelley at a-level.

I've mulled over a few poems in the Anthology, read Beowulf, Mrs Dalloway and the Beckett plays. I just need to read Titus now and I think I've eaten away at more than enough considering we've not even started yet lol.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. I almost forgot about Titus. I got half way through the introduction and--

WELL. I think with that, it's a case of sit down and read it all in one shot.

I'm not too worried about the criticism. I've actually been through and read a couple from the contents page that interest me, and I was always quite adept at A-level at just sitting down and churning through criticism.

Seriously, though, if you're struggling? Just find somewhere quiet and secluded and read it aloud. It works for me, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaiteafairy)
    Oh. I almost forgot about Titus. I got half way through the introduction and--

WELL. I think with that, it's a case of sit down and read it all in one shot.

I'm not too worried about the criticism. I've actually been through and read a couple from the contents page that interest me, and I was always quite adept at A-level at just sitting down and churning through criticism.

Seriously, though, if you're struggling? Just find somewhere quiet and secluded and read it aloud. It works for me, anyway.

Ooh, there's a trick i might try. I'm finding them the most difficult to force myself to sit down and read of the lot. thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is it naughty of me to have not even looked at the criticisms yet? I've read the rest of the reading list, and dipped in and out of the short stories. It's the sheer size of the book that puts me off the criticisms.. i don't think i'm strong enough to lift it lol !

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding getting through the short stories the hardest. I've never been a fan of short stories and I don't think I ever will be.

Do we have to read ALL of them? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    I'm finding getting through the short stories the hardest. I've never been a fan of short stories and I don't think I ever will be.

I highly doubt it. I'm hoping they'll just select a few and tell us which ones we're going to be studying when we're there, but if we're needing to, say, compare 2 of our choice, then I will be in troubz :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I already know who my supervisor is. It says it on my evision page somewhere, so you should have a look and see if you can find yours. Mine's Nicola McDonald.
    Where is that? I can't find it :cry:

Hello all :hello: I'm a English and History joint honours (:hide: please don't hate me!). A few of you know me from here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=812428

I LOVE Mrs Dalloway, and Beowulf. I find the existentialism in Beckett hardgoing, which has surprised me considering that I did philosophy. Has anyone read Happy Day? Seriously disturbing :eek3:

So yeah. Hi :o:

ReputationRep:

No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toothwort white)
    No.
    Thank christ for that. :o: er, I'm not a rubbish English student at all...

Was it you that recommended the English soc in another thread on TSR, by the way? I've joined the Facebook group and it looks great!

(Original post by super-emily)
    Where is that? I can't find it :cry:
    It's not too obvious at first. Go on evision, then click 'check your basic details' under the personal details title. It should be there, along with some other info.

ReputationRep:
    Thank christ for that. :o: er, I'm not a rubbish English student at all...

Was it you that recommended the English soc in another thread on TSR, by the way? I've joined the Facebook group and it looks great!
    I didn't get the book last year and I got on fine; in fact, I don't think we did any story from the book in my seminar group.

& yes, that's me. I'm on the committee. :o:

ReputationRep:
    The timetable seems light enough :yep:. Anyone in seminar group... 12?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaner)
    The timetable seems light enough :yep:. Anyone in seminar group... 12?
    :eek: Where did you get that info? Evision? I'm going to have to check it out.

ReputationRep:
    I NEED SEMINAR GROUP 9 PEOPLE. So we can wallow in the misery of having 4 stupidly early mornings out of 5 together, obviously.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Seminar group 4, Lecture group 1, anyone else?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.