Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    suitable book to write about in my personal statement?
    or not?

ReputationRep:
    Yea sure. There are loads of other books you can read, I know Freakonomics is a really obvious choice, but it is actually really interesting

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sure.
    It's a great introduction to economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer of 69)
    suitable book to write about in my personal statement?
    or not?
    yes any economics related books go well tbh

ReputationRep:
    Be careful. They probably get statements 10 to the dozen saying this.
    Don't want them to think "Oh he read this one fad book and wants to study economics"

Perhaps read and try and understand a less contemporary economics text as well to show you have a balance. I dont think "Oh I read Freakonomics/TUE" on its own is a particular boost to an economics PS

But in general showing independant subject reading is good :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps read and try and understand a less contemporary economics text as well to show you have a balance. I dont think "Oh I read Freakonomics/TUE" on its own is a particular boost to an economics PS
    yes thats what i was thinking,
    can you recommend anything?

ReputationRep:
    i found the undercover economist a good idea, but it was kind of stating the obivous. the logic of life, also by harford, is a lot better. read that and write about both. and as another said, freakonomics is hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    and as another said, freakonomics is hilarious.
    got it from the library the other day

its had very mixed reviews on here but the first chapter is great!

ReputationRep:
    i couldn't finish it off.
    got SO bored :erm:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by danny111)
    i found the undercover economist a good idea, but it was kind of stating the obivous. the logic of life, also by harford, is a lot better. read that and write about both. and as another said, freakonomics is hilarious.
    Agreed. The book puts CBA and game theory into another perspective which makes it easy for the layman to understand. Great read
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There's better, but at the same time, there's far worse. I would say The Undercover Economist is a nice intermediate. If you could, I would definitely recommend The Armchair Economist or Capitalism and Freedom; the latter more political economy but excellent nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer of 69)
    yes thats what i was thinking,
    can you recommend anything?
    Well you could always go for Adam Smith~ WoN
    But that is pretty heavy going and very old (classic)

Perhaps John Kenneth Galbraith~ Affluent Society, new industrial nation.

It should be someone like that who the person reading the statement will know, have heard of, may have read the book themselves.

If you are going to apply econ at uni I would recommend Tony Cleaver Economics :the basics * as a pleasant introduction to the type of issues you will be looking at in first year. You could name drop that one as well in your PS but have some Galbraith as well.

*have a look at the preview but dont buy it off there, is a £60 or some ripoff. go amazon it if it looks like something you may want to read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Well you could always go for Adam Smith~ WoN
    But that is pretty heavy going and very old (classic)

Perhaps John Kenneth Galbraith~ Affluent Society, new industrial nation.

It should be someone like that who the person reading the statement will know, have heard of, may have read the book themselves.

If you are going to apply econ at uni I would recommend Tony Cleaver Economics :the basics * as a pleasant introduction to the type of issues you will be looking at in first year. You could name drop that one as well in your PS but have some Galbraith as well.

*have a look at the preview but dont buy it off there, is a £60 or some ripoff. go amazon it if it looks like something you may want to read
    thankyouuuu very much

ReputationRep:
    It's a good book and all, the best introduction to economics that i have read, but - just my two cents worth here - it isn't exactly a very hardcore book for a personal statement. Wouldn't you want something with a little more depth to lead to better discussion at interview (if relevant) or just to show that you can manage a more dense text. It is a laymans book after all...

ReputationRep:
    i can't get access to any of these books at my nearest libraries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0nfus3d)
    i can't get access to any of these books at my nearest libraries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Go buy then
    They are good books, worth rereading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Go buy then
    They are good books, worth rereading.
    okay

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.